Author Topic: Just re-read the entire series  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Just re-read the entire series
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else just did an entire re-read in preparation for Peace Talks. I got an ARC of Peace Talks, and decided that before I read it, I would re-read the entire series, and it was such a different experience for me. When I started the Dresden files I was in my late 20s, un-married, no kids. Now I am married, have a daughter, and in a totally different place in my life. Just wondering who else had a more recent re-read that maybe felt quite different from the first time.
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*
Good Ash: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Just re-read the entire series
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:07:09 AM »
Apparently I'm the only one... Let me just say, 20 years more experience, and a child, makes me want to smack younger Harry on the back of the head, and sympathize with older Harry more. But also sympathize with McCoy more.  ;D
I'd like to revisit this after Peace Talks so we can discuss the effect the 5 year hiatus has had on Harry's personality.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:08:47 AM by Fineous »
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
Hi, I would have liked to answer, but I discovered the DF very late. About 3 years ago. But I know what you mean. I've experienced a similar thing with another book series. Suddenly you pay attention to different aspects of a known story depending on your own new experiences. And suddenly you like something you didn't like years ago. And on the other hand, things that were very important once, are now almost completely irrelevant.  Priorities have changed, life has changed and it changed you.

That's one thing I like about the books. You can literally see Harry AND Jim age. At almost the same rate.  8)

Rather funny story is how I finally agreed to read Storm Front.  ;D
It kept popping up on amazon, but I refused to even take a closer look at it for years, because I got a completely wrong impression what it was about. Because of the title and the cover.
And I thought, I just saw it because of books I ordered as presents for others, that I wasn't interested in.
Then came a time, when I didn't have anything interesting and new to read, and Storm Front was cheap as E-book, so I decided to try it, but very very very very sceptical. He had me as soon as Harry vomited into the bucket. LOL

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 02:51:29 AM »
Yeah, anything about Maggie is much more poignant to me now, and Harry's chains of decisions that he keeps talking himself into just make me groan. Not because they are unbelievable, just because his decisions made sense to me when I was younger, now I just shake my head at how dumb I used to be. 😁
*Click* *BOOM*

Offline Helga Ozark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:50:10 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else just did an entire re-read in preparation for Peace Talks. I got an ARC of Peace Talks, and decided that before I read it, I would re-read the entire series, and it was such a different experience for me. When I started the Dresden files I was in my late 20s, un-married, no kids. Now I am married, have a daughter, and in a totally different place in my life. Just wondering who else had a more recent re-read that maybe felt quite different from the first time.

I know this is an old thread but I can't lurk on the spoilers forum until I get BG  ....my copy wont arrive until the 6th Oct  >:( 
anyway....Yes I re-read the entire series before PT. Yes I feel entirely different about Dresden's attitudes towards women, especially young women, in the series compared to when I first started reading it 15 years ago. When I first started reading the series, I just thought he was "old fashioned", now I find it quite annoying. The later books he has the winter mantle driving him so its like he never grew out of the young male pervy attitude.

Incidentally, this time around I read the series backward...ie starting with skin game and reading back to storm front. I picked up on a lot of foreshadowed clues that way and the exposition/rehashing of previous events in later books didn't bother me as much.
Perhaps the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 04:08:55 AM »
So, no, I did not read the entire series, but I was wondering if some of you that reread now can help me with something. In which book Harry has something that seems like a memory of Demonreach and someone (Luccio, I believe) told him it is a premonition, something that wizards have.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
So, no, I did not read the entire series, but I was wondering if some of you that reread now can help me with something. In which book Harry has something that seems like a memory of Demonreach and someone (Luccio, I believe) told him it is a premonition, something that wizards have.
I think that must have been in Small Favor. The first time he sets a foot on the island. And Luccio is there, too.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »
Sounds about right, thank you! I'll check it when I have some time.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline esiders

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 01:39:11 AM »
Hi,
My sister and I started re-reading the series in July 2020: we read the series for the first time in 2009. I just finished BG this morning. I definitely had a different reaction reading the series this time.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 01:43:23 AM »
Would you want to tell us more? Different how?
Missing you, Md