Author Topic: Kincaid  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Kincaid
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
Well any kinetic shield that covered someone would do the job, or any sufficiently enchanted armour. en

If it were me, I would have built-in wards (maybe inscribed into objects like jewlery or tattoos). The ward would be early warning devices designed to either alert me to an imminent threat (perhaps even triggering a shield of some kind). Injun Joe uses shields that change the flow of magic so he is unaffected by frontal assaults. I wonder if some of the Senior Council have defences that make it difficult to use Kincaid-style tactics against them. Eb didn't even bother to shield against mortals with guns, his robes did the work.

But I think you're correct in that the best defence is adequate preparedness. Location, location, location.

Jim does love his family dramas. I wouldn't put it past him to throw some of that in there.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 09:47:20 PM »
Yeah, a wizard wearing high-end defensive gear like Eb's would probably be protected from a sniper. Harry's duster fell apart (due to Lea's enchantment wearing off) just before he was shot in Changes, so he wasn't protected then. And doesn't Eb's even protect areas that aren't directly covered?

Now those bullets can be pretty huge... but IIRC Harry's duster has stopped assault rifle bullets, so Eb's equivalent stopping even .50 caliber doesn't seem implausible.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 05:08:13 AM »
Could Kincaid be the son of a Denarian? That would qualify as Hell-linked. He chooses his form much like Lasciel chooses her images, or Goodman Grey does.

Kincaid never had Eb go 100% at him. He's alive.  He drew a gun on Eb, Eb disarmed him - and didn't squish him like a bug.  And I am sure Harry stepping between them might be an convenience to Eb... but he could zap Kincaid on the far side.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 05:40:05 AM »
So going by the OP, Kincade is Hellboy;sort of, but with better weapons and better aim?  The image Harry sees in Blood Rites, of the thing with the curling horns seems to point that way.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 06:45:37 AM »
I sort of see more similarities between Harry and Hellboy myself.

But I see what you mean.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
Yeah, a wizard wearing high-end defensive gear like Eb's would probably be protected from a sniper. Harry's duster fell apart (due to Lea's enchantment wearing off) just before he was shot in Changes, so he wasn't protected then. And doesn't Eb's even protect areas that aren't directly covered?

Now those bullets can be pretty huge... but IIRC Harry's duster has stopped assault rifle bullets, so Eb's equivalent stopping even .50 caliber doesn't seem implausible.
Harry was shot in the upper back by a .50cal in the short story The Warrior. His duster stopped it because it hit the mantel where he had two layers to protect him.

Didn't Eb's defenses extend beyond his clothes in Changes? I know Susan's did.