Author Topic: Chapter 5 Drop  (Read 25087 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 5 Drop
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2020, 03:14:30 AM »
At most, he's only going to be visiting.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
Yes! So that she decides to take a coin  ;). Which after a while she will be able to give it up, probably with Harry's help, and go the redemption road.

Of all the options for Murphy's future, I think that is the least likely after the beating she took from
Nic.   I really believe she would have to be totally desperate to even contemplate that. 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »
  Of all the options for Murphy's future, I think that is the least likely after the beating she took from
Nic.   I really believe she would have to be totally desperate to even contemplate that.
We will see. But I think, she will be desperate, if she isn't yet. Maybe not yet in PT or BG, but I still think the coin thing isn't too far fetched. It's a feeling. If I'm wrong, you all are allowed to say "told you so"  ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2020, 04:10:39 PM »
We will see. But I think, she will be desperate, if she isn't yet. Maybe not yet in PT or BG, but I still think the coin thing isn't too far fetched. It's a feeling. If I'm wrong, you all are allowed to say "told you so"  ;)

It would be a shock indeed.  If that happens I don't think we will see her giving it up anytime soon.
For the simple reason that it would be a major mistake to think she isn't as susceptible as anyone else to being enslaved by the Fallen.  It would also be a major victory for Nic and company if she did take a coin since she was a Knight even if it was only for a couple of days.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:23:03 PM by Mira »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
A coin is totally out of character. She knows what they are and is not interested. Even if she wants to go Faustian there are far better options available for her.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2020, 05:34:19 PM »
A coin is totally out of character. She knows what they are and is not interested. Even if she wants to go Faustian there are far better options available for her.

I totally agree.  Now if her injuries had been cause by other means than being beaten up by Nic and she saw no other way especially if Harry was about to be killed?  Possible, remote, but possible, but now?  I cannot see her doing that.   As for a Faustian bargain, that doesn't turn out well if Jim follows the traditional outcomes.  In one Faust is redeemed but has to die in the process and goes to Heaven, in the other, he goes to Hell and burns..  So if she does die, that might be what Jim chooses, she makes her Faustian bargain to save Harry, in the end she is redeemed for making it but dies in the process and goes to Heaven to help her father working for Uriel.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2020, 05:57:13 PM »
I totally agree.  Now if her injuries had been cause by other means than being beaten up by Nic and she saw no other way especially if Harry was about to be killed?  Possible, remote, but possible, but now?  I cannot see her doing that.   As for a Faustian bargain, that doesn't turn out well if Jim follows the traditional outcomes.  In one Faust is redeemed but has to die in the process and goes to Heaven, in the other, he goes to Hell and burns..  So if she does die, that might be what Jim chooses, she makes her Faustian bargain to save Harry, in the end she is redeemed for making it but dies in the process and goes to Heaven to help her father working for Uriel.
Harry did not necessarily mean a deal with the forces of hell. There is Odin, Mab,

Maybe even Molly.

There are huge costs but not necessarily your soul
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
From a purely hypothetical point, if Cthulhu were standing in front of me, about to cast his ultimate world ending spell, Harry was a greasy smear on his left foot, all hope appeared lost, and Nic were standing next to me, even knowing all that I know about his team, if he offered me a coin to help him stop the impending destruction of reality, I'd saddle up with the Denarians and sort out the consequences later.   Under certain extreme circumstances, I could see Murphy, even now, doing it.  Its just that I don't see the story going there. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2020, 07:21:10 PM »
Harry did not necessarily mean a deal with the forces of hell. There is Odin, Mab,

Maybe even Molly.

There are huge costs but not necessarily your soul

I wasn't clear, I don't necessarily mean with Hell, however when the term "Faustian" is used, yes, she may wish it was her soul, because the price she will pay will be that high.  Perhaps, the price will be losing Harry forever more? 

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2020, 08:47:14 PM »
Murphy would never willingly take up a coin, and she is willing to die if it helps defeat the nickle heads.   

Harry blames himself for everything, so i could see him making a deal to get Murphy healthy.

I don't think the issue of Murphy injury should be solved quickly. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »
Murphy would never willingly take up a coin, and she is willing to die if it helps defeat the nickle heads.   

Harry blames himself for everything, so i could see him making a deal to get Murphy healthy.

I don't think the issue of Murphy injury should be solved quickly.

I doubt that it will be.   If Harry makes some dumb deal to get Murphy healthy, I think it will backfire on him big time, result, he will lose Murphy forever.

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2020, 12:50:01 AM »
... or get her into the FBI. I mean, since agent Tilly was introduced in Changes, he wasn't seen since then. He is an acquaintance who could at least get her some kind of liaison status with the FBI, maybe leading to membership in the future.

I was rereading Changes and I feel like this could be a good place for Murphy, honestly. Battle Ground looks like it'll drag the supernatural into the mundane world in a big way and even though Tilly got some knowledge in Changes, Murphy's still got the best knowledge of the current vanilla humans and she's been in law enforcement and she knows people like Tilly. It'd also put her in a place Randolph can't easily mess with her. Heck, with Randolph and law enforcement breathing down her neck in this chapter, that might be a good way to cut off future incidents and give Murphy a sort of powerup that doesn't have to do with the supernatural in a direct way.

I don't see Murphy making a Faust deal after this chapter (and the coin is super unlikely imo), but I wouldn't be surprised if something happens in the same way Michael briefly got healed in Skin Game. There's been speculation that Murphy appearing to be thinking of cutting off her cast in the trailer is to saddle up and that'll lead to her being reckless and cause doom. However, if something healed her - even temporarily - then she's not cutting it off for funsies. She's cutting it off because she can now physically help out.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2020, 12:55:56 AM »
Thinking again, if Christmas' Eve happens between PT and BG perhaps Murphy dies in PT and is back (working for Uriel or something) for BG.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2020, 05:03:04 AM »
Isn't Christmas Eve post-BG? IIRC, there was an interview that mentioned that Jim was going to write Christmas Eve into the book. CE is also the one that references a lot of turmoil and death so it slotting into BG makes more sense than PT.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2020, 05:24:41 AM »
In the official page there is no information of when it happens but I understood it was before BG, so we can have some suspense.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)