Author Topic: Chapter 5 Drop  (Read 24951 times)

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Chapter 5 Drop
« on: June 30, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
omg omg omg

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 5 Drop
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »

Can you spell...
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:02:40 PM by Mira »

Offline Uriel_spook

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:03:03 PM »
The pressure cooker is certainly building 5 chapters in - looking forward to next week!

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »

To be honest, one of the features I like least about the series is Harry’s wallowing in self-blame. He blames himself for pretty much everything bad that happens to anyone, and a little of that can be endearing, but overload it too much and you start to take agency away from others.

Murphy was there because she chose to be there, and due to a whole bunch of involvement with her and Harry leading up to it. Sure, if she’d never met Harry, she’d not have been there, but the choices she made since meeting Harry were her own, sometimes pointedly so when Harry tried to protect her.

It’s a small niggle, I love the books, but it gets a bit old reading the same reaction, especially regarding women. *They think too*, Harry!

(rant over :) )

Seems like the pace of the books isn’t diminishing. We’re 5 chapters in and just about everything that could apply pressure to Harry *has* applied pressure. Can’t wait for the 14th :)

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:23:39 PM »
I didn't think that Harry and Murphy suspected that Rudolph worked for Marcone.  It was pretty clear in Changes that he was unknowingly working for the Red Court.  I suppose Rudolph can just be generally corrupt and work for the highest bidder. 

I have a few ideas about who might be behind this. 

We know of two people who have influence in local government, Lara and Marcone.  We know Lara has a relative at the DA's office, Tania.  Marcone probably has a DA on payroll too.

Nicodemus would know where to point the cops and has reason to go after both Harry and Murphy.

Mab, would also know where to point the cops, and isn't above blackmailing Harry to do her bidding.

Mavra, has used pictures of Murphy to blackmail Harry in the past.  I don't know how she would know about the bank job, but it is possible.  It's kind unlikely because Harry knows Kemmler's method of dealing with the Black Court.

Lastly, given what Ebenezer said, someone working for either the white or black council.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:25:23 PM by Walter the skull »

Offline edf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:46:52 PM »
For some reason I had this rather odd thought while reading through this when they were discussing Murphy's healing.  Neither wizard magic nor medicine hold the answer, but there are other ways Murphy could be made viable again.  The most obvious would be doing what Dresden did when he broke his bad.  She could take up either Knight mantle. Mab wouldn't easily relinquish her claim on Dresden, but we haven't really seen much out of the Summer Knight lately.  The current Summer Lady may even believe she owns Dresden a favor worthy of allowing him to recommend Murphy as Fix's replacement if something where to happen to him in the next book or two.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:27:18 PM »
For some reason I had this rather odd thought while reading through this when they were discussing Murphy's healing.  Neither wizard magic nor medicine hold the answer, but there are other ways Murphy could be made viable again.  The most obvious would be doing what Dresden did when he broke his bad.  She could take up either Knight mantle. Mab wouldn't easily relinquish her claim on Dresden, but we haven't really seen much out of the Summer Knight lately.  The current Summer Lady may even believe she owns Dresden a favor worthy of allowing him to recommend Murphy as Fix's replacement if something where to happen to him in the next book or two.

Taking up the Summer Knight's mantle would put her at odds with Harry.  Not only that, but her main objection to being a Holy Knight was being an occasional sock puppet for the Almighty.  That would be total freedom compared to the Summer Knight's mantle...  That's assuming that it is as hard to control as the Winter mantle is.

Marcone has his fingers in lots of pies, including the police.   

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37:09 PM »
I may be totally wrong, but I don't see Marcone blackmailing Harry, specially not in a way that threatens Murphy. I think Marcone know that is very dangerous for his own sake.
I've felt so sorry for Murphy...the Dresdenverse needs healing potions right now.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
The Rudolph part is weird. I'm surprised nothing happened to him after being a pawn for the Reds in Changes... but then, I'm not sure why I'm surprised. I never thought about how that would play out.

I think the Fomor have gotten to him. Why not? First the reds, then the Fomor. But there is a Black Council person behind both of the contacts. That person passed his info to the Reds, and now that the Reds are gone, passed it on to the Fomor.

Count me as one that believes the "Wrote Murphy's Funeral" line. There will be a funeral. She'll probably die, but maybe she'll go into hiding or take up a mantle. Both would explain why she wasn't at Christmas Eve.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:49:43 PM »
I also don't think that Marcone would use the cops to go after Harry. That's simply not his style, he's a hands-on man.

I also feel bad for Murphy, but I somehow don't see this state lasting for long. It would be profoundly difficult for her to adapt to a role where she is kept on the sideline from the action.

I also don't see Jim killing her off, because that also would be deeply disrespectful to the character ("Outlived her utility? Off she goes, for a bigger guilt trip for Harry!") and this isn't the style of writing Jim uses. Although I still suspect that employment with Vadderung may be in her future, to pay off the set-up in Ghost Story.

At least she and Harry are getting some action. It's pretty much time after sixteen books!

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »
Hurray for Murphy and Dresden.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 09:41:03 PM »
This chapter made me think about something we saw, or thought we saw, in the trailer; Harry and Lara starting to get it on.  Then we saw Warden Ramirez start to accuse Harry of being under Lara's influence.  At least that's what we're supposed to think.  There are alternate explanations for both scenes.  The scene with Harry and Lara could be an illusion or even a dream scene.  Ramirez could be referring to something else besides the short scene we saw with Harry and Lara.

However, if Lara does put her her arms around Harry's neck and if they kiss or touch skin in any way, what does it say if Lara doesn't get burned the way her cousin Madeline did when she was forced to touch Justine?  Harry and Murphy aren't truly in love, or does the Winter Knight's mantel deaden true love?  Then again, maybe Lara will get burned and we just didn't see it in the trailer.  What do you think? 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »
Unless Murph and Harry really do it, they won't be protected anyways. But I think the scene is a dream or something Lara is projecting on Harry's mind.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:32 PM »
Harry should have fed Rudolf to the Ick. I'm tired of the character.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »
I hope Jim is going to give us the satisfaction of a revenge. I actually would like to see Rudolh humiliated, scared, instead of physically hurt. For example, have Eb soulgazing him  :)
Missing you, Md