Author Topic: WAG McCoy [SPOILERS PT Ch4 + mf "Journal"]  (Read 10759 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: WAG McCoy [SPOILERS PT Ch4 + mf "Journal"]
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »
She could have aborted it and made life simpler for everybody.  She could have had her tubes tied before it became an issue.  Harry could have had a vasectomy.  Harry could have given up his magic so that being a father to Maggie wasn't an implicit death sentence for everyone involved.  Would of, could of, should of.  Had either one truly cared this would have never been an issue. That's the Watsonian view.

Now look at the Doylist view.  By implication Jim set up a condition where sex, for Susan, was a triggering event that would cause her to lose control and kill her lover.  He modeled that after the Black Widow or the Praying Mantis. He's now done this twice with a female character.  Consigning both women to what was effectively, enforced chastity.  Making them female eunuchs.  While old Harry just carries on.  This really borders on misogyny. Can you see that I might find it hard to see the character of Susan as abusing Harry by keeping secrets from him?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2020, 06:47:58 PM »
When you write a book in first person from one character point of view people are going to sympathise more with the narrator than with other characters in the book. All characters have their own point of view.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2020, 07:08:56 PM »
She could have aborted it and made life simpler for everybody.  She could have had her tubes tied before it became an issue.  Harry could have had a vasectomy.  Harry could have given up his magic so that being a father to Maggie wasn't an implicit death sentence for everyone involved.  Would of, could of, should of.  Had either one truly cared this would have never been an issue. That's the Watsonian view.

Now look at the Doylist view.  By implication Jim set up a condition where sex, for Susan, was a triggering event that would cause her to lose control and kill her lover.  He modeled that after the Black Widow or the Praying Mantis. He's now done this twice with a female character.  Consigning both women to what was effectively, enforced chastity.  Making them female eunuchs.  While old Harry just carries on.  This really borders on misogyny. Can you see that I might find it hard to see the character of Susan as abusing Harry by keeping secrets from him?

I don't. That is something that I won't ever forgive Susan. And, of course, it was her decision to keep the first place. And himself has so little sex that he is a "functional eunuch" himself.

@Mira, speaking of Harry being as stubborn, I would add that Susan too, so I am pretty sure the brat will be stubborn as a concrete well. I pity the world once her powers awaken.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
@Mira, speaking of Harry being as stubborn, I would add that Susan too, so I am pretty sure the brat will be stubborn as a concrete well. I pity the world once her powers awaken.
I'm looking forward to reading this. Could be fun.
Seeing your own child acting like yourself. Can be pretty frustrating. Poor Harry.
(((((***evil laughter***)))))

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2020, 07:29:01 PM »
Precisely what I would hate to watch.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2020, 09:02:53 PM »

I don't doubt it! ;)