Author Topic: Chapter 4 Drop  (Read 17594 times)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 4 Drop
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »
In lieu of consular status, though, I have to wonder:  how WOULD the Svartalves (who are noted sticklers for formal protocols and "correctness") react when presented with a legal warrant/etc allowing mundane law-enforcement to legally enter the premises?
I kind of see them granting access... presuming that EVERY formality is correct, I kind of think they HAVE to...

Omg, I want to see that. That's exactly the kind of deep cut nerd stuff I like.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »
That would provide a very-useful legal cover!  But I doubt it -- Harry would surely know, and he never mentions it.

In lieu of consular status, though, I have to wonder:  how WOULD the Svartalves (who are noted sticklers for formal protocols and "correctness") react when presented with a legal warrant/etc allowing mundane law-enforcement to legally enter the premises?

I kind of see them granting access... presuming that EVERY formality is correct, I kind of think they HAVE to...

It also might result in a bureaucratic nightmare for any agency trying it.  But who exactly is going to turn Harry in?  Maggie has no physical injuries that a teacher could spot, we know she has suffered emotional trauma, but she has a huge wet nosed therapist for support where ever she goes.  So in short, no obvious evidence that would warrant taking her away from Harry.  Believe or not it takes a lot to remove a child from it's home, even a supposedly abusive one..

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »
Well even as awesome as Mouse is, she still needs a therapist. I hope she has one and it's just one of those details we don't see.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2020, 09:36:28 PM »
Well even as awesome as Mouse is, she still needs a therapist. I hope she has one and it's just one of those details we don't see.

No doubt she does, the Carpenters would have seen to that and there is no reason why Harry wouldn't continue it.  She'd need a note from one anyway for Mouse to be credentialed as a true service dog.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2020, 10:15:33 PM »
Yeah b/c he'd have more rights as a federal(?) service dog rather than as an emotional support animal.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2020, 02:24:36 AM »
Yeah b/c he'd have more rights as a federal(?) service dog rather than as an emotional support animal.

I make visits with therapy dogs, though we train and have to pass a test, therapy dogs cannot go the same places as "service dogs."   Now an emotional support animal can be a service dog, and people do get "credentials" on-line so they can get their animals on air planes etc.. This is taking advantage of the rules and have spoiled it for a lot of legitimate people, you've heard the stories.  A real service dog is specially trained and matched to the owner, guide dogs, dogs that detect seizures, dogs who give emotional support for people with PTSD etc.  The dog usually wears an I.D. vest and the handler/owner has papers to back it up.  I doubt that Mouse would have any problem passing the certifications needed to be little Maggie's support animal.  I bet the Carpenters saw to that before they enrolled her in school, and no doubt the school also demanded the proper paperwork.

Offline Uriel_spook

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2020, 02:35:33 AM »
Timing of Chapter 5 drop?  O/U 1:30pm Pacific time?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2020, 06:50:46 AM »
Timing of Chapter 5 drop?  O/U 1:30pm Pacific time?
I'm not sure there will be a chapter 5 drop. Did you read that somewhere. I don't dare to hope.
I was even surprised by the third and fourth chapter. Chapter 5 would be too good to be true.  :)
It's 2 weeks to release already.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2020, 06:31:50 PM »
I'm on the site now there. There really is a chapter 5. :)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
Great   :)
Also (the blue is mine):
Chapter Five
Read Chapter Five of Peace Talks! If you missed Chapters One, Two, Three, and Four, you can catch up on those as well. Preorder both Peace Talks and Battle Ground from a local independent bookstore or online through the Jim-Butcher.com store, and come back next Tuesday for the next chapter!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:31:52 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2020, 05:00:01 AM »
And Eb is right, in that, Harry's existence is the cause of the deaths of his family and Susan.
Not to start this up again, but I think Susan was destined for a bad end.

Maggie's parents citizenship doesn't matter in this case, as she wasn't living with them. Harry didn't even know she existed and I don't think he'd even be listed as the father on her birth certificate. He's only known her for about a year as well. I don't know how many, if any parental rights he'd have under the law.
It doesn't matter that Harry isn't listed on a birth certificate or that he wasn't living with her. He has all the parental rights ... as soon as he proves he's her father. Maggie is an American by virtue of her parents citizenship ... as soon as Harry proves he's her father and does some paperwork. We don't actually know where Maggie was born, or if she was formally adopted by the Mendozas, or if all her paperwork was forgeries, so the dual citizenship question is up in the air for now.

@Dina: According to Google translate, apátridas is stateless in English. Makes sense. Probably from the same root word(s) as patriot, patriate, and repatriate. Social Security numbers were first issued on December 1, 1936, so Eb's original number, if he ever bothered to get one, would probably only show him as 150 or so.  ;)

I doubt Harry has a record for any convictions. Plenty of arrests, so he has a long rap sheet. On the other hand, I imagine Maggie presents as someone who has been abused because she has been.

As Mira hinted with jury service eligibility, Harry is either registered to vote in Illinois or has Illinois state ID, most likely a driver's license. "Convicted felons may not be eligible for jury service, depending upon the age and nature of the felony." Illinois State Bar's A Guide to Jury Service. Though see g33k's caveat about proper procedures being followed.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2020, 05:07:13 AM »
@Dina: According to Google translate, apátridas is stateless in English. Makes sense. Probably from the same root word(s) as patriot, patriate, and repatriate. Social Security numbers were first issued on December 1, 1936, so Eb's original number, if he ever bothered to get one, would probably only show him as 150 or so.  ;)

Thanks! And yes, still complicated  :)- Wizards advantage is that they mostly live offline, so at least there is not digital footprint of them and so, for many things, they don't exist.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
... I doubt Harry has a record for any convictions. Plenty of arrests, so he has a long rap sheet ...
"Convicted felons may not be eligible for jury service, depending upon the age and nature of the felony..."

I think Harry has a few misdemeanor convictions (but no felonies).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »

They are not going to take little Maggie away for that.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2020, 07:01:36 PM »
Every time he's arrested, "it's on principal" to quote FM. Weird stuff happens that, if not illegal, should be. Harry's arrested for it. They charge him with something they have no hard evidence for. It all goes away.

Or he's arrested for something minor, like his traffic violations in GP, and Murphy makes it go away.

I don't think he has any convictions. (I'm not counting speeding tickets and such).