Author Topic: Chapter 4 Drop  (Read 17883 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 4 Drop
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 02:41:18 AM »
Perhaps it's a controversial opinion, but I disliked the chapter a lot.

The argument felt forced, the foreshadowing was obvious and the entire scene was made to give Ebeneezer a reason to leave without properly talking to Harry. And to make Harry feel bad later...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:53:07 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 02:50:32 AM »
Total cheap shot, for starters was it the infant Harry's fault that Lord Raith killed his mother?  Really? How much say does a six year old have in his father's living or dying by natural causes or other?  As for Susan, while Harry had very little say there as well, he didn't even know Maggie existed, and Susan came to him to save her.

His parents deaths weren't his fault, but they probably were targeted because of what he is. I don't think Lord Raith went to the trouble just to punish Maggie Sr. for leaving him - he wanted to interrupt the 'give birth to a starborn' plan. And Malcolm was probably killed to facilitate Harry eventually coming into Justin's custody, whether by Justin himself or by Lea.

Susan ... well, for all that it was either Susan dies alone or Susan + everyone else all die ... Harry still went along with Martin's plan at the end.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 02:58:37 AM »
True enough SK, but it doesn't alleviate the fact that because of who and what he is, Harry's mere presence is dangerous. But I agree with what your saying.

As for Susan, Harry's choices were just as much to blame for Changes as much as anything. He started the war, he had unprotected sex with Susan, as you say he chose to go along with the plan to wipe out the Reds using the blood curse. Harry always had options.

As I say above, the character of Harry Dresden is a study of unintended consequences. The whole series is.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 04:39:25 AM »
Raith wanted revenge from Maggie, for her own actions. And perhaps he wanted to prevent the birth of a starborn...which was Maggie's choice. Harry did not choose when he was going to be born. Also, I am not sure that Raith interest in Maggie in the first place is not due to her being McCoy daughter. And of course Eb is right in something, Maggie did not die in childhood, but what kind of life did she have?
(click to show/hide)
. Yes, probably Harry is the cause of Malcolm death but if you blame him for that then you can blame Maggie for attracting danger over herself.
And Harry is literally not free to go with Maggie to whatever place he liked. He is in Mab and Molly's service. And he is a warden of the WC, and the Warden of Demonreach. He has responsabilities to all those offices and he cannot just take a car and ride towards the sunset.
So yes, he said some bad things to Eb, things he shouldn't have said, but the old man was not faultless either. And Harry has a point, trying to hide Maggie had not helped her. Yes, Harry is guilty of Susan's death but perhaps if she has told him about their daughter he could have protect her better and the whole Chichen Itza scenario could have been prevented (I know, not interesting from a literary point of view)

I agree in something, I hate when Harry does not asks obvious questions like "what is the meaning of Stars & Stones?"
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 07:03:31 AM »
I agree with you about Raith. Indeed, Harry didn't choose to be born (unless you believe in some really wild WAGs about Harry being a time traveller or a godling etc). I imagine Maggie Snr's life wasn't amazing as a child but like Harry's it prepared her for the real world much better than being coddled. Lea isn't totally wrong about that sort of thing. But everyone has their own views so that's all I will say.

You cannot blame the child for being attacked generally speaking (unless it's some sort of Omen type situation). Maggie Jnr, Harry, and Maggie Le Fay all inherited the problems to some degree of their forbears. Eb has some responsibility in this. But both Harry and Maggie Snr (and Eb) all chose to have kids (or chose to do things that might leave that possibility at any rate). They could have soley born their own burdens but now their children will share them. That's largely unavoidable.

Harry could live on Demonreach with Maggie, I doubt just about anything could get to them. But he could also renounce all his positions and hide. People do it all the time. Especially in countries that are war torn. Many people from Eastern Europe for example fled when war came to their door. No fault of their own but they risked death of themselves and their families by staying. It is like that all over the world, for all of human history. America is a young country as things go. It does not yet understand the horror of invasion. I truly hope it never does.

I never said Eb was faultless but Harry spoke rashly and cruelly. He took the low road. Even Harry realises this and is ashamed.

Susan could have told Harry...but aside from Doylist reasons I suspect she truly believed it was safer not to tell him. Just like Harry truly believes it is better for Maggie to be raised by him. Who can say their choices have been perfect? And as I say above it might well be that Dresden's choices make it worse for Maggie.

I know JB does this stuff to tease us and he gets off on it. But it still seems annoying and forced. It would at least be better if they got interrupted. It would still be frustrating but more believable than Harry ignoring that low hanging fruit.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 07:18:58 AM »
Still, my main fear about that story is that Mister is not mentioned.

If I'm remembering correctly, Mister was living with Karrin, so I'm not sure his non-appearance in the short story is too dire. At least, I hope not.  ;)

But based in this latest drop, I'd say
(click to show/hide)
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 07:49:46 AM »
@CrusherJen:
I think you are right. Mister is with Karrin and also you don't bring your cat to celebrate Christmas in another home. A dog, yes, but not a cat.

And as much as I hope it will not happen, I think you are right with
(click to show/hide)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
I think Eb was beginning to tell Harry something important -- not just the bare painful "fact" (from a certain point of view) that Harry himself is the focal point of all those deaths; but WHY those deaths happened at the focus of Harry.

I think Eb was trying to engage Harry's brain.  Harry can be bull-headed and blind about a lot of things, but he also has a gift for figuring out the hidden, for uncovering connections.

Harry noticeably has NOT been asking a whole bunch of important questions -- like what is a "starborn" and why do a bunch of really powerful beings care so much about it... about him.

I think Eb was trying to kick Harry's brain -- more than butt -- into gear.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 08:30:56 AM »
They both have blindspots. The problem is after Skin Game the secret is already out. The denarians know about it. She probably has talent too. The best thing Harry can do is raise her in such a way that she can defend herself.

The whole scene made me think about their communication in Changes when Harry went to Chichen Itza. They are not very good at listening to each other and talking things through.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
Besides Mab may not protect them, Molly will probably protect Maggie. she wants to and there are several ways to justify it in Side terms.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »
yuile, Demonreach is not a place for a child. Remember how his adult friends suffered here. Maggie wouldn't be able to live there. And again, Harry had several responsabilities.
And yes, he said hurtful things to Eb, that was totally wrong.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »
yuile, Demonreach is not a place for a child. Remember how his adult friends suffered here. Maggie wouldn't be able to live there. And again, Harry had several responsabilities.
And yes, he said hurtful things to Eb, that was totally wrong.
And Eb did not handle him as an adult. It is a great way to make Harry behave as an angry adolescent.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
And Eb did not handle him as an adult. It is a great way to make Harry behave as an angry adolescent.

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better.   If Eb had been in better control of himself and hadn't been
so angry when he saw little Maggie it may have turned out better.  But he didn't, he never told Harry about his relationship to himself when Harry first went to live with him after Justin died.  The only love Harry ever got came from his father who died when he was six.  For the next five or six years
he is abandoned in an orphanage, physical needs taken care of, but no love, then Justin latches on to him to use him for his own purposes.  So built up resentment on Harry's part?  Hell yeah..  Also never tell a parent how to raise their own kid, not saying that sometimes you shouldn't but it has
to be done with tact or otherwise all you get is push back whether you are right or not.  Given how his own childhood went, angry resentment is the only way Harry could react.   I still say it was a real
low blow on Eb's part to call Harry the common denominator in the deaths of his parents and Susan.
True maybe, but a low low blow on Eb's part..  How about Eb's own neglect?  That too is a common denominator, include in that his failure to tell Harry the truth when he went to live with him. Hell, he didn't tell Harry he was his grandfather back in Blood Rites..   Harry only knows he doesn't want his daughter raised how he was, without love..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
The proper way is probably to ask each other questions and listen to their explanations but that would give too much of the plot away. Now we will get all kinds of misunderstandings to drive the plot even further.

Sometimes that feels somewhat forced. Have some pancakes and tea and chat a bit.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
I think you are totally missing the point, it doesn't matter how old Margaret was when she died.  If Eb had been a parent when she was growing up, she may have never developed the resentment that made her apprenticeship with him such a disaster, nor ultimately causing her to rebel the way she did.  Heck, she might even be still alive but for that.
And Harry wouldn't have been born and there would be no Dresden Files.  Which is all neither here nor there.  If his point was to get her to an age where she could protect herself then Eb achieved what he set out to do.
Total cheap shot, for starters was it the infant Harry's fault that Lord Raith killed his mother?  Really? How much say does a six year old have in his father's living or dying by natural causes or other?  As for Susan, while Harry had very little say there as well, he didn't even know Maggie existed, and Susan came to him to save her.  Actually if anyone is the blame there it would be Eb, the reason behind the kidnapping was to do the generational spell to bump him off in the first place.
This has nothing to do with blame or responsibility.  Any more then the Small Pox virus holds any moral responsibility because someone dies when exposed to the virus.  None the less, if you catch it you die. It is what it is.  Harry is a walking zone of death because of what he is.  He didn't choose to be that thing, but that doesn't change what he is.
You never know..Actually he did let her decide, he tried to treasure her, Mouse lent support and protection, but at no point was she forced to come out.  Again once Eb heard the sound coming from her room Harry had very little choice, because Eb was so on edge he was ready to storm the room staff a blazing, all Harry could do was defuse the situation by introducing her.
All I said was that choosing to let Maggie control when she would choose to talk to Eb was a good choice.  Maybe.