Author Topic: The Fates and the Norns and scissors  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Fates and the Norns and scissors
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »
@Bad Alias
Well that put a bullet in the head of that idea.  Here's my takeaway.  Jim's math is meaningless as metaphor.  He seems to be attempting to describe vertical versus lateral organization.  I knew they also represented Hecate.  Is there a Norse version of that goddess?  Don't answer.

@g33k
If Mother Winter isn't Atropos the question of if the shears are the Black Staff is moot.

@Yuillegan
If they aren't any of the  3 Fates then they obviously didn't kill a Titan.

Thanks all.
I interpret it differently; Jim is saying the Mother-Maiden-Crone triplet is the fates. So Atropos/Skuld is the Mothers, and Lachesis and Clotho are the Queens and Ladies.

Summer is then tacked on, or maybe when the Fates were split in twain, Summer got some (e.g. Clotho) while Winter got others (Atropos).

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Fates and the Norns and scissors
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
I've never heard that about Clotho killing Typhon before... That is generally attributed to Zeus.

And in any case Typhon is not usually considered a Titan. Sure, he is a son of Gaia, but he was born after the Titanomachy. The Giants (Gigantes) are also sons of Gaia who warred against the Olympians after the Titanomachy, and they're not generally counted as Titans.

Of course the definition of "Titan" is kind of loose. Beyond the twelve original Titans the term is often applied to some of the next generation e.g. Helios (son of Hyperion) and Prometheus (son of Iapetus) but not to the Olympians of the same generation (e.g Zeus is son of Cronos and Rhea).