Author Topic: Hannah Asher: How to build?  (Read 159 times)

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
Hannah Asher: How to build?
« on: June 20, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
I'm rereading the novels in anticipation of "Peace Talks". Ms. Asher just rocked the Gate of Fire.

(click to show/hide)

So she is much better at pyromancy then Harry. Much like Mort is better at his stuff then Harry. But the rules for refinements seem to enforce that a wizard gets better if he has control over more elements - because to get specialization boni, he needs to create a column: Ie: To get a +3 in Fire control, you also need a +2 (maybe in Fire power) and a +1 (in a different element).

So if I would build Ms. Asher, she would be worse then a wizard because she simply could not take a similar amount of refinement stunts.

Any idea on how to change that?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Hannah Asher: How to build?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »
The scene you're describing is, simply, a block against the Fire Damage or the Environmental Damage.

For someone who is super-good at one element, you could break it into 3 elements...like:  Light; Heat; and something else...dunno. 

It makes sense that she'd have air, though, too.  ANyways, that lets her build a bigger pyramid but it's all fire related.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
Sure, its a Block - but its one done with magic. So she would - as usual - define the block strength, need the conviction to do it and roll discipline.

And she would need to be better then Harry, which I don't see her doing using DFRPG as written - that's why I'm asking. And I don't think she has Air - but even if she does, Harry would still be better then her in his best element, just because of the colums the refinement stunt requires.

Regarding your spoiler: I assume Harry, who looked at her rather closely, would have noticed that.

I tried to give up on the columns and just let my players buy refinements up as you like. But that's very, very beneficial for people who use sponsored magic. Also: Wizards are by far stronger then everybody else in the high-refresh games, so I don't really want to remove one of the few things that limit them.

The scene you're describing is, simply, a block against the Fire Damage or the Environmental Damage.

For someone who is super-good at one element, you could break it into 3 elements...like:  Light; Heat; and something else...dunno. 

It makes sense that she'd have air, though, too.  ANyways, that lets her build a bigger pyramid but it's all fire related.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »
Actually... on page 181 it states that a focused practioner can take refinement only to get more focus item slots.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:14:18 AM »
Yeah, the DFRPG rules (written before we saw more of what Mort could do in Ghost Story, or Hannah Ascher in Skin Game) don't really represent the power level we've seen from "focused practitioners" in the post-Changes books.

Regarding your spoiler: I assume Harry, who looked at her rather closely, would have noticed that.

(click to show/hide)