Author Topic: New Drop Chapter Two  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: New Drop Chapter Two
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
(click to show/hide)

A cauldron?  "Boil and bubble...."   Reference back to the three witches in Macbeth?

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2020, 02:33:45 PM »
Future Harry?  Wouldn't have to break in past the dark elves (since Harry is invited) but making use of Current Harry's use of energy as he was thinking about the future to create a temporary ectoplasmic body to inhabit since time travel is really only possible in spiritform.

Either that or Demonreach actually using its connection with him to cause the energy expenditure so he would make a body for it to be able come to warn him about something ala the graveyard.  (without such an energy expenditure it can't leave the island)

But no matter what, this is a first we're seeing of Harry doing magic involuntarily/without words (rather than just involuntary Mantle/ice powers).  We may see him begin to just be able to make armor for himself with just a thought, etc.  Though I don't think this is likely since it seems to have used a lot more power than normal magic does.  He was about ready to pass out after doing it twice.  Still, if Harry starts being able to just make things, if he can augment them with soulfire they should last longer and be stronger, so making useful stuff might be very possible.  This might be a effect of a wizard having the mantle, or it might be an effect of there being an experienced winter knight.  I mean, the winter knights have a tendency to die rather quickly, right?  Do we know what the longest someone carried the mantle has been?  We know the summer knight can live a long time (Ronald Ruel had been summer knight awhile, and Fix has been for years too) but I thought Winter Knights had a tendency to be more... transient.

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
I want to know what kind of car Harry was driving when he and Thomas arrived at Molly's... I just can't believe that Jim ignored that on purpose... This is the first car Harry's driven since the Beetle and the Munster Mobile, as far as I remember.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2020, 06:37:35 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

LOL I love everyone's recaps of Star Trek. It's been too long since I've seen the original series. :)

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
I want to know what kind of car Harry was driving when he and Thomas arrived at Molly's... I just can't believe that Jim ignored that on purpose... This is the first car Harry's driven since the Beetle and the Munster Mobile, as far as I remember.

I had not thought about it. But you are so right, this was left unspecified for a reason. I have a feeling this car is going to be either awesome or a good joke.
He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2020, 01:28:17 AM »

Maybe it's Thomas' car?

I suspect Mab would object to her WK driving a good joke...  Which might make Harry do it, deliberately.

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2020, 02:11:50 AM »
Maybe it's Thomas' car?

Yeah it makes sense, Harry looks like he has is material needs covered by winter. And your right Mab would take issue in Harry driving a car you need to be shameless to choose has a ride. So I would not be surprised to see him do it to any her, but he is going to need an excuse to go about it.

All that said I'd like to see Harry making Mab angry by driving a joke of a car...

He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2020, 06:06:41 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:13:42 PM by knightedbishop »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »
I just knew that McCartney was going get a mention, it was just too good to pass up.

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
Someone with a "heavy hand [that] rapped hard", powerful enough to get through the svartlalf's magical security and defenses and didn't care about offending them, either couldn't wait to make contact is a more normal way or wanted to make a point, but yet still doesn't want to wholly ignore the etiquetes and formalities of the Accord and magical world - it is Molly's apartment after all, inhabited by the Winter Knight (and maybe didn't want to test Dresden's threshold).

Hmmm.

Since we know he's in the story, my guess is

(click to show/hide)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »
Someone with a "heavy hand [that] rapped hard", powerful enough to get through the svartlalf's magical security and defenses and didn't care about offending them, either couldn't wait to make contact is a more normal way or wanted to make a point, but yet still doesn't want to wholly ignore the etiquetes and formalities of the Accord and magical world - it is Molly's apartment after all, inhabited by the Winter Knight (and maybe didn't want to test Dresden's threshold).

Hmmm.

Since we know he's in the story, my guess is

(click to show/hide)

Given the lack of any actual sounds of combat or violence, I presume the entity was admitted by the Svartalves, rather than forcing their way in.

The entity you reference wouldn't be daunted by the Harry's threshold, or WK Mantle, or anything else Harry has on tap.

Nevertheless, I like your theory; that could indeed be who it is!  I'm a bit perturbed, though, by trying to envision what might bring that one to Harry's door; I'd expect an emissary to come deliver an invitation too "good" to refuse.

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2020, 10:12:56 PM »

Given the lack of any actual sounds of combat or violence, I presume the entity was admitted by the Svartalves, rather than forcing their way in.

The entity you reference wouldn't be daunted by the Harry's threshold, or WK Mantle, or anything else Harry has on tap.

Nevertheless, I like your theory; that could indeed be who it is!  I'm a bit perturbed, though, by trying to envision what might bring that one to Harry's door; I'd expect an emissary to come deliver an invitation too "good" to refuse.

Struck me that if the entity at the door had been let in by the Svartalves or they could have or were permitted to alert Harry, then they would have let Harry know he's getting a visitor given how organized and efficient they are.  That, and the fact that the alarm went off (I assume that if the entity had been cleared, then there would have been no alarm), makes me think the entity is uninvited.  I don't think there was a battle - as you say, there would have been no point.  I don't think the Svartalves would engage in a futile gesture; too rational for that.

Knocking makes all kinds of sense for my guess - the entity must know about the Old Ones, the Outsiders, and definitely Nemesis, and you don't unnecessarily antagonize those who are objectively your allies, and particularly Mab and the Winter Court in light of the role she and they fulfill.  (Assumes the entity likes reality as it is, which may be a big assumption.)

It strikes me that the entity is very much a solo act, and wouldn't act through emissaries.  An 800# gorilla who doesn't need them, goes where the entity decides.

As to why the entity is there - maybe the entity lives in the same complex and just needs a cup of sugar?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »
As to why the entity is there - maybe the entity lives in the same complex and just needs a cup of sugar?
That would be hilarious.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2020, 02:32:09 AM »
In someways, I really hope it is something is silly as that. Something potentially terrifying just being neighbourly would be so Dresden Files. On the other hand, this is the book were things start to heat up and if the last two books are any indication Dresden will be run off his feet.

(click to show/hide)
- is one of the best guesses yet. I quite like it. Lord Kinbote's reasoning is sound. Certainly the being in question is powerful enough to rip through security, or perhaps bypass it altogether. But the real question is why? The only other time we have encountered it he was very bored. I doubt he would care to pay Dresden a visit. Then again, that whole thing about beings taking notice of Dresden who normally wouldn't have even noticed his insignificance...

The other possbility, and my favourite bet, is
(click to show/hide)
. He has a working relationship with the svartalves (they wouldn't attack him), he is big enough to rap heavily on the door, his presence is serious enough it quite likely would set off Harry's alarms but he is also polite enough not to barge in or break down the door. And I am sure he will have work for Harry. And he has showed up in every book since his first appearance.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2020, 05:02:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)