Author Topic: Thomas Crack Prediction  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Kram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Thomas Crack Prediction
« on: May 25, 2020, 04:39:42 PM »
I’ve been entertaining an idea that could possibly be in the future for Thomas. King of the White Court. Obviously he doesn’t want it. Lara has her hooks in the current King who is no more than a puppet now. But as we’ve seen with the Winter Ladies, nothing opens up candidacy like an unexpected vacancy. Thoughts:
Lara gained power smoothly, but also is in a fragile position as well. She ISNT the Queen, although she operates like it. The instant something happens to the former king she will have to fight hard and fast against many her discover the truth. She has time to prepare, but isn’t guaranteed anything if her secret comes out.
Thomas isn’t necessarily portrayed as being able to take Lara on 1v1, but he also is like Harry in that there is power he won’t take for himself because of the grief he knows comes with it (besides, raw power isn’t really what rules the White Court, but being savvy. Thomas’s ability to protect himself and hold himself somewhat apart from the WC is a good demonstration, and he also has innate power). Imagine Lara is gone - who could possibly sit on the throne in the WC that wouldn’t be a disaster? It would be almost Godfather-like, a prodigal son inevitably sucked into the headship of corruption. It’s the worst thing that could happen to him aside from taking away Justine, being King of Monsters, which makes me think it might happen. So many of Harry’s companions including Harry himself have found themselves fighting the good fight from ground they thought of as bad after all.

This is my first crack theory post I think. I haven’t engaged in this site much but with the new books coming I’m on a 5th read-through to get ready for the new books and I’m having thoughts and felt like sharing 😄
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:01:50 PM by Kram »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Crack Prediction
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 09:53:31 PM »
Hey Kram, great theory!

There isn't anything to support or discredit it which makes it a perfect crack theory  ;D

I don't think Lara (or any other) would take that option lying down though. It is speculated by Ebenezer that Lord Raith became the White King partly due to his magical immunity. Thomas also talks about Lord Raith's other abilities (such as his Kiss of Death move) and his library of forbidden knowledge.

Thomas doesn't have any of that. Thomas also doesn't feed heavily, which means he also has only a half-tank of gas at any time. We have never seen Thomas pull off any special moves or powers, he had faint sorcerer abilities (although I suspect with training he could improve to be a serious threat - he is also Maggie's son). We also haven't seen Thomas show any real political nous or leverage - both things he would need to run the White Court effectively.

If an opening comes due to the death of Lord Raith, I think Lara would try and take it for herself and openly rule.

Thomas would only get the job if she needed another puppet or if he gained a serious power up.

Despite all that I like your theory just for the fact it would make Thomas's life harder, and make his and Harry's relationship more strained. It would be very Jim.

All this assumes he doesn't die soon too, which is another favourite theory around here.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:08:25 AM »
A very good theory indeed!

Justine says that only Lara's demon is stronger than Thomas' ... so there's that.  Of course, Justine won't be as familiar with Skavis & Malvora (or others (are there any other Whamp houses?  I don't think we know, for certain ... ) ) .

At this point, I think it's pretty much an open secret that Papa Raith is a puppet.  The latest microfiction has Irwin & Connie treating it that way.  I think probably the White Court knows all about it, and they're just keeping up appearances as a "polite fiction" (and because it's amusing) until someone feels ready to try to unseat her.

If Lara falls, Thomas is an "obvious" successor... unless the fall takes a bunch of House Raith credibility with it.

I don't think Lara (or any other) would take that option lying down though. It is speculated by Ebenezer that Lord Raith became the White King partly due to his magical immunity. Thomas also talks about Lord Raith's other abilities (such as his Kiss of Death move) and his library of forbidden knowledge.

Thomas doesn't have any of that...

We have a new Major Player coming to town, though.  Lara will almost certainly be at Peace Talks, and if a real heavyweight targets her... she goes down, plain and simple (individual Whamps just aren't that tough); then it's a matter of who takes the White Throne.

I presume Papa Raith's library (which Lara now has (and is using)) would go to the next head of the Raith house (and make it all that much more difficult for a non-Raith to take & keep the throne!) .

To build on your crack theory:
As we know from the fan-made (but largely "official") trailer, Thomas is jailed by the Svartalves for being an "assassin" -- maybe the victim was Lara???

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »
Nice theory. I suspect a partnership is more likely. With Thomas may be becoming co-emperor so to speak but still nominally for the most part having a tense alliance with Lara. I don't see her giving up power, but I can see her justifying to herself of using Thomas as 'acting boss'so to speak. (Mafia term for having a target boss for feds, while another boss usually the Underboss or a couple of the Capos are really in charge.)

So basically anyone looking to take down House Raith or the White Court would have to publicly attack Thomas as Raith King, before taking on Lara. Thomas gets more power, but Lara gets some protection from direct attacks.

Offline Kram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:48:53 PM »
Thanks all for the thoughts!! It's fun nerd about this stuff :)

@Yuillegan
I guess a big question that I have that could perhaps help or hurt the theory is “can a WC demon’s power be grown through feeding or other means?” If so then that sort of power could be attainable, even if by time. Justine has already revealed her workaround to keep Thomas fed without hurting anyone too seriously. I consider that a Thomas power up, because he isn’t starved anymore.

I tend to give Thomas more credit in the political side for the subtle things. How he slid into Harry’s life at the right moment. How he disguised himself as a no-threatening screw up when he was really watching (and miserable). But also when Madelyn got too bold, then he slapped her down *hard*, displaying he is not to be trifled with. He is a secret operative for the Oblivion War. Those things I think could make a basis for qualifying on the political side.

I agree that Lara wouldn’t take the challenge lying down. As I think about it, the only way Thomas would be in a position to be King would be if Lara is dead. She's kind of like Marcone. She's not good but it could be worse. But please, not Thomas :(((

@g33k
I agree, it does seem the puppet show is an open secret. If Lara falls I think the only way to save face would be to outmaneuver everyone into keeping the throne. We know you can’t just beat everyone in the head to get respect in WC, although I think being able to doesn’t hurt.

As far as Thomas assassinating Lara, I could only see him attempting that if he knew she had been corrupted by Nemesis (or had super convincing evidence) and he was the only one in a position to have a chance or else [major consequences].

What sort of secrets are in that library anyway tho?
@Con
I see where you are coming from, but I’m not sure how well Thomas and Lara would cooperate that way. They understand each other and they care for one another as family (which is a redeeming quality of Lara). Yet I don’t think Thomas would stand for having Lara’s plans and actions be “publicly” portrayed as his own, much less support most of them behind the scenes.

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
Don't forget Thomas is feeding on svartalves, too, per Bombshells. That would seem like a pretty potent food source that could make Thomas' demon stronger... if it works that way. And there is no reason not to think so since Pounder's girlfriend can feed on him (I guess Pounder is half human)...

I didn't even think about Lara dying. Thomas would never go for White King unless there is a vacancy. That seems possible!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
We also haven't seen Thomas show any real political nous.
If an opening comes due to the death of Lord Raith, I think Lara would try and take it for herself and openly rule.
I thought he did when he was hiding behind his appearance as stupid. He also played off his own ignorance as knowing more than he did at the same time.

The death of Lord Raith could bring about Lara's downfall. As long as no one knows about Harry and Thomas being brother's, it might look like Thomas has been catspawing Harry all over the place (from inside the White Court).

Thomas has Harry, who is largely responsible for all of Lara's major victories in the White Court (that we know about), so I think he does have one large advantage. Another thing we know Thomas has that we haven't seen from others is that he can feed by touch. The scene from Backup where Thomas washes hair could be interpreted as he could feed much more deeply by simple touching than he does.

(are there any other Whamp houses?  I don't think we know, for certain ... ) ) .
I think it's strongly implied. Wasn't it stated that Raith, Malvora, and Skavis were the "major" houses of the White Court? If they're the only houses, why call them "major?" It could be that there are minor houses within the major houses, but I don't think so. There is at least one other house in South America according to the Paranet Papers, which I would only consider semi-canon.

I guess a big question that I have that could perhaps help or hurt the theory is “can a WC demon’s power be grown through feeding or other means?” If so then that sort of power could be attainable, even if by time. Justine has already revealed her workaround to keep Thomas fed without hurting anyone too seriously. I consider that a Thomas power up, because he isn’t starved anymore.
It's been theorized that by starving his Hunger, he has made it stronger. I don't recall the reasoning (or if there was any) behind the theory.

Offline Kram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 01:48:24 AM »
Don't forget Thomas is feeding on svartalves, too, per Bombshells. That would seem like a pretty potent food source that could make Thomas' demon stronger... if it works that way.

I don’t remember that part of Bombshells! I’m gonna have to reread the shorts, because I haven’t read them as much as the books.

It’s been theorized that by starving his Hunger, he has made it stronger. I don't recall the reasoning (or if there was any) behind the theory.

Interesting theory. I feel like there’s a lot about a White Court vamp’s demon that we don’t know when it comes to its limits and growth. We mostly hear of its weaknesses and Hunger.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
I think Kram hit the nail right on the head.

@Bad Alias: I bet all WCV could feed deeply just by touch but that is something that comes from years of practice, which Thomas has quite a bit of so he's got a big advantage there.
Yeah, I dunno how well Thomas could rule as king w/o having Harry in his pocket. In the sense that he'd have to tell his court that Harry is his pet wizard and that he is a valuable piece for the whole of WCV and not to mess w/ Harry.

I think the biggest issue isn't if Thomas becomes king but how. I don't think he and Lara can share the throne b/c yeah, different goals and Lara would probably do to Thomas what she did to their father. Familial love only goes so far for WCV.

My WAG is that Lord Raith gets killed and the spotlight is on Lara, who's trying to keep hold of her power but b/c of unforeseen events, she gets outmaneuvered and dies. Thomas takes the throne unwillingly but dos so so that Justine and Harry can stay safe. Also b/c he's a WCV who won't run roughshod over humans like all the other ones will. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 01:18:36 AM »
It could be that Lara dies in Peace Talks or Battle Ground saving Thomas. Then Lord Raith is freed from Lara and chaos breaks out because he's insane by now. If you recall, Thomas was planning on either dying or ending up in charge in Blood Rites.

Offline Kram

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
It could be that Lara dies in Peace Talks or Battle Ground saving Thomas. Then Lord Raith is freed from Lara and chaos breaks out because he's insane by now. If you recall, Thomas was planning on either dying or ending up in charge in Blood Rites.

I’d be very interested in how Lord Raith would behave if left to his own devices at this point. Certainly nothing good would come from it except maybe some interesting information he would never reveal otherwise. This whole hypothetical scenario is one I’d love to read but would hate for it to happen!

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
Thomas could never run the white court on his own.  His head just isn't in the game, and it would put too large a target on all of his loved ones.  To be a successful member of the court you need to either have no loved ones, or maybe one ones in the court as well.  If Thomas were to become a king all on his own, too many would come after Justine or Harry.  I agree with Con that a partnership is more likely, where Thomas is the official king, but Lara remains the power behind the throne with people generally trying to come between them to come to power, rather than coming at Thomas. 

I do think we are overdue for another "white court" book, and I suspect that we will learn that either Lord Wraith has managed to hold some stuff back and work against Lara and see what happens when his plans come to fruition, or that Lara has been corrupted by whatever she learned from him/his allies and needs to be dealt with.  I think the former much more likely, since we still have Lord Wraith's magical immunity to deal with and learn more about, ideally in a hands on way, rather than just Lara dropping info on it somewhere.  I think both Lara and Marcone will continue to be the frenemies that Harry can trust  throughout the books to (generally) help protect humanity.