Author Topic: "That Stunt with Mab"  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
"That Stunt with Mab"
« on: June 03, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »
The First Chapter of Peace Talks is up. In it I think there's a reference to Skin Game, either that or a short story, and my memory is just flat out blank.

“Marcone?” I demanded. Gentleman Johnnie Marcone, former robber baron of Chicago’s outfit, was now Baron Marcone, the only vanilla human being to sign the Unseelie Accords. He’d managed that a  few years ago, and he’d been building his power base ever since.

“That stunt he pulled with Mab this spring,” I said, scowling.

Ramirez shrugged and spread his hands. “Marcone maneuvered Nicodemus Archleone into a corner and took everything he had, without breaking a single one of the bylaws of the Accords. Say what you will about the man, but he’s competent. It impressed a lot of people.”

Skin Game was 5 years ago, and I haven't read Brief Cases yet. What is it Marcone did?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: "That Stunt with Mab"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
The First Chapter of Peace Talks is up. In it I think there's a reference to Skin Game, either that or a short story, and my memory is just flat out blank.

Skin Game was 5 years ago, and I haven't read Brief Cases yet. What is it Marcone did?

I think Marcone somehow has grabbed credit for the con pulled against Nic, in Skin Game.  I think it was actually Mab and/or Vadderung who masterminded things... but it was Marcone's bank that was the lure that Nic bit on, and Marcone seems to have leveraged that.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:54:25 PM »
I think Marcone somehow has grabbed credit for the con pulled against Nic, in Skin Game.  I think it was actually Mab and/or Vadderung who masterminded things... but it was Marcone's bank that was the lure that Nic bit on, and Marcone seems to have leveraged that.
If by con, you mean that Nic got the grail but Harry got the other pieces of the Holy set?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
If by con, you mean that Nic got the grail but Harry got the other pieces of the Holy set?

Yeah, but what I am wondering is does Mab even know that Harry retrieved the Spear, etc.?
  Or she does know in her usual four dimensional chess way, saying eventually when Harry does
bring them out, that that was her plan all along?

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »
If people don't know about Harry stealing the other items, then I'm not sure what Marcone is being recognized as having pulled off.

Because I mean, Nic got what he wanted, no one on Harry's crew managed to die. That's...basically it.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »
Harry to Mab and Marcone in Skin Game:

“And you dealt him the worst pain you could imagine. You took away his daughter. No, you did even worse—you made him do it himself.”

“Now he’s lost his lieutenant,” I continued. “He’s lost his squires. When word gets out of his treachery, he’ll lose his name. No one will want to work with him. No one will deal with him. From where you’re standing, you’ve done worse than kill him. You’ve wounded him, strangled his power, and left him to suffer.”

And Mab agrees:

“Do you have a point, my Knight?”

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
So... Mab is there to confirm Marcone pulled it off, but steps to the side to make it seem she didn't make it all happen.

What's her play in doing that? Repaying a debt to Marcone, or gaining leverage over him?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
Because I mean, Nic got what he wanted, no one on Harry's crew managed to die. That's...basically it.

I don't think he did.  He may have claimed he wanted the Grail, but in my opinion his real aim was the Spear.  If Michael is right, and he usually is about these things, under the heading of "be careful
for what you ask for you may get it,"  Nic getting the Grail may backfire on him.   In other words the Grail may lead to his redemption, not a bad thing but not what he was after at all.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
As Harry said to Vadderung, what he claims to be his goal is certainly not his real goal.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 06:12:27 PM »
If people don't know about Harry stealing the other items, then I'm not sure what Marcone is being recognized as having pulled off.

Everybody got something.  Marcone got revenge for his kidnapping and he got cred by his association with the real power players.  Uriel, Mab, Vadderung and Hades. And they put the weapons Harry pilfered in the hand of their pawn, Harry.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
So... Mab is there to confirm Marcone pulled it off, but steps to the side to make it seem she didn't make it all happen.

What's her play in doing that? Repaying a debt to Marcone, or gaining leverage over him?
Marcone was in on it the whole time. Harry guesses Marcone is going to end up with the Squires. If he does, everyone will know that Nicodemus and his super league attacked Marcone, Marcone kept his clients loot secure, Nicodemus went in with the whole crew, he came out alone, everyone else who survived the job says that everyone who didn't survive were loyal to Nicodemus and betrayed those that weren't personally loyal to him but had kept their word, and Nicodemus's squires end up working for Marcone at the end of it all.

Mab will somehow let it be known that it was her way of getting justice for Nicodemus's abuse of the Accords. Marcone doesn't even need any credit for setting it up to look like a boss, but from Ramirez's statement, he's getting credit somewhere. Marcone can just come out and tell people. He isn't going to be upset with anyone for saying that he was meeting with Mab the day after the bank job went down. There's also the possibility that Harry sent in a report to the White Council over what happened seeing as he is a warden. It would make sense as he killed a known warlock during the heist, but that's just one way Carlos would know. He also may just have told Carlos because they're friends. But the point is a lot of people know.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 04:11:29 AM »
  Yeah, but what I am wondering is does Mab even know that Harry retrieved the Spear, etc.?
  Or she does know in her usual four dimensional chess way, saying eventually when Harry does
bring them out, that that was her plan all along?

That's an interesting question. I wonder who knows and who doesn't.

Uriel can be pretty safely assumed to know where his side's artifact's are.

Mab would have been hoping for her Knight to become that much more dangerous out of the venture, but it's an open question whether she's sure he got the other four.

Vadderung was only on the periphery of this one, but knowing is kind of a default assumption for him.

Marcone? He still seems to be expecting to eventually come into direct conflict with Harry. I'm not sure he'd have been as willing to go along with the plan if he was clued in that getting the Spear into Harry's hands was one of Mab's angles. Plus, if he knew Harry had come out with the true Shroud, he'd probably have swallowed his pride and asked to try it on Helen Beckit's daughter where the fake failed.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 08:44:07 PM »
That's an interesting question. I wonder who knows and who doesn't.

Uriel can be pretty safely assumed to know where his side's artifact's are.

Mab would have been hoping for her Knight to become that much more dangerous out of the venture, but it's an open question whether she's sure he got the other four.

Vadderung was only on the periphery of this one, but knowing is kind of a default assumption for him.

Marcone? He still seems to be expecting to eventually come into direct conflict with Harry. I'm not sure he'd have been as willing to go along with the plan if he was clued in that getting the Spear into Harry's hands was one of Mab's angles. Plus, if he knew Harry had come out with the true Shroud, he'd probably have swallowed his pride and asked to try it on Helen Beckit's daughter where the fake failed. 

I think the Uriel/Vadderung/Mab trinity all know what Harry got, and what Nic got.  They all seem to be working on a common "make Harry into an anti-Outsider weapon" agenda.  I presume each of them has other agendas with more or less overlap with that one they hold in common.

I have no clear idea whether Marcone knows (I can see arguments both ways); given his supernatural knowledge mostly seems to gate through Gard (who is Vadderung's), I think it likely that Marcone knows as much as Vadderung wants him to know (and am unclear how much that is!)... and likely also realizes that Vadderung is still keeping a huge portion of the information back.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:41 PM »
Given that there are easier places to rob, if Marcone doesn't know precisely what, he has to know that it is powerful.  And if it was a trap designed to destroy Nicodemus then he would have wanted to know about the bait for the trap.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 04:12:34 AM »
Given that there are easier places to rob, if Marcone doesn't know precisely what, he has to know that it is powerful.  And if it was a trap designed to destroy Nicodemus then he would have wanted to know about the bait for the trap.

Let's not forget what Hades said about the armory.

"To prevent anyone without the skill or the commitment to use them well from having them," he said.  "It is not my task to keep them from all of mortal kind--only from the incompetents."

Marcone may have helped to set it up along with Mab, however the only one with the skillto
actually pull it off was Harry.  Nic may have gotten the Grail, but only because Harry gave it to him.
It was a team effort to set it all up, but the only one to get his mitts on them is Harry..  Also except for the Grail, Harry deposited the loot where neither Mab nor Marcone can get their hands on them without his say so.  Down in the tunnels of Demonreach Prison...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:38:25 PM by Mira »