Author Topic: Power Creep  (Read 9980 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Power Creep
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
Over in the "What do you look forward to in Peace Talks?" thread, the discussion has moved to Harry getting a power up. It made me think of what's often described as power creep in the Dresden Files. I think creep is very apropos for Harry's gaining of power because it mostly happens pretty slowly. It creeps on up in a way that's hard to point to.

While he doesn't get a power up every book, he's almost always more powerful in at least one way. Usually a noticeable way. He's often also less powerful in some way. Usually less notable. Occasionally, he's significantly more powerful or significantly less powerful in an obvious way.

It's generally subtle from book to book, but Harry seems more powerful each book. He gets more foci. He gets a bigger gun every four books or so. His fuego spell gets tighter and tighter. I think it's first described as "as big around as my hips" to eventually being "as big as my two fingers." Occasionally we get big steps forward like in BR, when Harry has enchanted his duster and gets Hellfire.

Outline of Harry's power progression that I can recall:
(click to show/hide)
What am I missing and when did it happen? Thoughts on "power creep" in the Dresden Files?

He lost most of his “foci” in Changes and has been slowly replacing them.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 08:12:45 PM »
Yeah, I was only hitting the main novels, so I didn't mention his new shield bracelet. By PT,
(click to show/hide)
I was really hoping for more. I feel like it will be a soft and quiet retcon if Harry doesn't end up with more and better gear now that he has a lot more wealth than it ever looked like he was going to get in the series.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 01:46:10 AM »
Yeah, I was only hitting the main novels, so I didn't mention his new shield bracelet. By PT,
(click to show/hide)
I was really hoping for more. I feel like it will be a soft and quiet retcon if Harry doesn't end up with more and better gear now that he has a lot more wealth than it ever looked like he was going to get in the series.
Making and maintaining foci also takes considerable time and effort. He has a child now and there is less time between books.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:58:13 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
Making and maintaining fooi also takes considerable time and effort. He has a child now and there is less time between books.

Yeah.

He was limited by tools and materials in the time between Cold Days & Skin Game.  Sometime since then, he has taken custody of Maggie.  I think that eats up most of his spare time.

I don't see him having time to do much more than replace the old items, rather than go all Klaus-the-Toymaker mode.

Also, Mab was explicitly training him to do without even his basic tools...  I think Jim will lean-in on that for a book or two more, at least.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 05:05:18 PM »
Certainly since the events in Changes destroyed or lost so many of his foci, Harry's foci in later books have been clearly inferior in number and quality.  Many reasons - time, resources, being a ghost, etc -- have explained the gap.   But it feels like there is another reason as Harry could have gotten tools as they are not that expensive and he had plenty of time on the island before cold days. 

Part of me thinks the author has just been deliberately handicapping Harry, perhaps to make the contrast more dramatic when Harry is fully back on his game.    Part of me thinks the author has been shifting the focus away from foci and towards Harry's ability as a wizard.  Similar to how Harry's reliance on potions in book 1-2 mostly fell by the wayside in later books as his spells and foci became more effective.   There have been a lot of improvements in Harry's spellcasting after all in the last few books. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »
Making and maintaining foci also takes considerable time and effort.
Yeah, Jim has said something like Harry spends 20 hours a week maintaining his magical gear. The reason I feel like it will be a retcon if Harry doesn't end up with more and better gear is that in one of the first books, Harry says he does partial enchantments that wear off because full enchantments are time consuming and expensive, with emphasis on expensive. In Changes, Harry thinks that he has figured out how to extend the life of the enchantments on his duster from 6 months to a year.

With better equipment and materials, Harry should be able to do full enchantments that last longer and require less maintenance because he's rich now. I'm not saying he needs to have his full arsenal back by PT or BG. I am saying he needs to have it back a hell of a lot sooner than it took him to build in the first place. I'm also saying it should be better.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2020, 12:43:56 PM »
Also because I think someone mentioned that he has a gift for creating magical items. I cannot remember who said it though.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:31 PM »
Bob was impressed Harry was able to build Little Chicago.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
...   But it feels like there is another reason as Harry could have gotten tools as they are not that expensive and he had plenty of time on the island before cold days ...

Uhhhh... What time?

Changes was where Harry lost his staff, the most versatile & powerful of his foci.  And then he died.
Then Ghost Story.
Then Cold Days.
Not seeing his free time.

That mini-trilogy was back-to-back (as Harry experienced them; there was a period of many months post-Changes before GS, but Harry wasn't aware of them).

It's pretty explicit that the time between CD/SG was Harry being a hermit... Which is to say, NOT free to go buy a bunch of tools & gear to rebuild a laboratory... or even a construction-shop...

He was living in terror...  Terror of himself, and of "the M mob" -- Mab, Molly, Michael, Maggie.  Especially Maggie.

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »
Harry will rebuild some of his gear over time.  He may not need all  of it.  It's hard to say, but it seems like older wizards have less gear than Harry had.  Harry may learn to live without the gear before he get a around to making new gear.  While I'm disappointed that he doesn't have his full kit, it makes sense.  Money alone isn't enough to rebuild all of the materials and tools that Harry had.  He spent years collecting that stuff, and let's face it, he probably doesn't have that many opportunities to acquire stuff like depleted uranium.

I also think we missed a minor power up.  In Grave Pearl when Harry eats Kravos to get his own power back, he also eats Kravos's power.  I may be wrong about this, but it seems like he started using more fire magic after that. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:01:29 PM by Walter the skull »

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 09:56:14 PM »
Harry will rebuild some of his gear over time.  He may not need all  of it.  It's hard to say, but it seems like older wizards have less gear than Harry had.  Harry may learn to live without the gear before he get a around to making new gear.  While I'm disappointed that he doesn't have his full kit, it makes sense.  Money alone isn't enough to rebuild all of the materials and tools that Harry had.  He spent years collecting that stuff, and let's face it, he probably doesn't have that many opportunities to acquire stuff like depleted uranium.

The Merlin literally had an entire utility belt in Changes.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 03:11:57 AM »
In Grave Pearl when Harry eats Kravos to get his own power back, he also eats Kravos's power.
I think that power went away. I think a big part of the darkhallow was that Kemmler found a way to keep the power. Pure speculation on my part.

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2020, 09:11:54 AM »
Forum Ghost: True, but it doesn't seems like Injun Joe, Ebenezer, Luccio, and Morgan carried many focus items.  Like I said, its hard to tell, they may have them, but they may be more subtle ones than Harry's.

Bad Alias:  That could be.

I'm re-listening to Skin Game now.  In it Harry says that his shield bracelet wasn't found with him when he awoke from his coma in Ghost Story.  Maybe it didn't fall off, but instead Mab took to make him less reliant on his gear.  Maybe she'll give it back some time during Peace Talks.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2020, 12:24:06 AM »
Harry gains new knowledge in each book, and that is the true power, for goodness sake he even keeps the knowledge of Eb and Thomas’s relationship from them.

The one thing which would be a true power up for Harry would be to be able to use modern technology and to ‘fix’ the Murphy field. To be able to use a smartphone and the internet would give him a major edge over other Wizards.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2020, 06:30:58 AM »
Maybe it didn't fall off, but instead Mab took to make him less reliant on his gear.  Maybe she'll give it back some time during Peace Talks.

In the PT sample chapters
(click to show/hide)