Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 247505 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1845 on: December 05, 2022, 09:14:18 PM »
Ooh, poor boy. It seems that Micro is a force to be afraid of.
How lovely that you, your husband and Mini are good at drawings. i am bad (but not awful) at it, so I admire people who can draw. And the thing I am really, really, awful at is music. I have no musical hearing at all. We have a saying here that is "tener un toscano en la oreja" (having a cigar in the ear). That is me. I am not truly deaf, but musically? I am. Hubby suffers a lot. I've got that for my own parents, especially mom.
And yes, of course genetics have a part in sibling differences, which is one of the things making it so interesting.

Oh, and it was so fun to read that you make that precise mistake  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: December 09, 2022, 11:07:42 PM »
We won again! We are in the semifinals!  :D :D :D
I am so happy. It was terrible for my nerves...We were winning 2-0, then, 10 minutes from the end (well, not so much. In this world cup the time that is been added after every half-time is a lot) Netherlands scores. And then, my team panicked. They stopped trying to win and they began only protecting the result. And in the last minute (after a 10 minute extension), the had a free shot near the arc and...goal. So, 2-2. We had to go to the extra time (30 more minutes) and I am proud to say we played well. But no more goals. So...penalty kicks. I don't know if you are familiar with the definition by penalties. It is a series of 5 penalties for each team, shot alternatively, of course. And if that ends in a tie, then, it is one more for each team until the tie is broken. Well, Netherlands began. Our goalkeeper (amazing!) caught it. Our first shooter, Messi, did it. Our goalkeeper covered the second shot again. And our shooter did the goal. So we were 2-0. Bur then, 2-1, 3-1, and then our shooter missed!and Netherlands did it! 3-2! So the nerves! We failed again, and Netherlands did it! So 3-3. But our last shooter did it! We won! 4-3.

I am so, so happy!  :D :D
So, the main objective is achieved. We are on the top 4.
And now we have to face Croatia, who eliminated our sore rival Brazil. I can't help but being happy than Brazil cannot win another Cup now (They won it 5 times, they are the super champions). And even if we had the bad luck of losing with Croatia, I think we did a good and worthy World Cup. (of course, I want to reach the finals! But I know Croatia is strong).

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: December 10, 2022, 09:59:16 PM »
@Dina
This is great news about your team! Go them! I am only looking who won and when I saw it was Argentina, I knew you would be happy.  :)

And LOL. I know now why my husband does so overly simple English exercises on Duolingo! He is done with all the lessons and wants to achieve the final goals, for which you need "gems", so you can compete. One only gets gems by doing lessons.
I told him, it doesn't matter which language you do to earn them, so he now does Klingon!
And he does it so I can hear it too. It kind of creates a Star Trek feeling without the TV on.

I was at the local Christmas market last week. It was nice, but cold, so we bought warm drinks, the kids had a Bratwurstsemmel each (a little bread with warm sausage, you can get it with mustard or ketchup, whatever you prefer) and I went to our firefighters, because they always sell Steaksemmel (yes, it's steak in a little bread with onions) and because I know most of them, so there was some talking while I waited for my steak.

I plan to go to at least one other market before they close before Christmas. There are so many of them and each is nice. But one can't go to all of them, there's not enough days in the week.

It is just that normally I would choose one or two and it would be enough, but this is the first year since covid hit, that they are open again, and it feels and smells very 'christmassy'. I at least want to show the big one in the city to my children. It is not only the market itself, it is also the old buildings around it. It all looks very beautiful.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: December 10, 2022, 11:04:54 PM »
 :)

I am sure the Christmas' market is awesome! I went to a couple of those the one time I was in Europe and it was lovely! I truly enjoyed it. And also tried some mulled wine or something like that. It is such a weird experience for me. Christmas is Summer! The last days were terribly hot. Luckily, it was a long weekend due to the Virgin Mary day. And everyone was only thinking in the match (that was on Friday). Yesterday it rained a lot and then temperature dropped and it was lovely. But today is more or less hot again.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: December 11, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »
The Christmas markets look especially beautiful with snow in the evening. 8)
Mulled wine is nice, but one can also drink hot non alcoholic drinks.
I love to eat roasted Maroni (edible chestnuts) and roasted almonds there.

The big market in the city is every day until Christmas. The smaller ones outside are either only on weekends or on one day only. But there are a lot of them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 10:20:52 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: December 11, 2022, 07:14:46 PM »
You can always have hot chocolate  :) We drank mulled wine because it was so unusual, probably our only chance to have it.
In French we bought roasted chestnuts, something I had always dreamt with as I've read about it many times. Well, I did not like them at all. Total disappoinment.  :'(

I bet your children are super excited with that.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: December 14, 2022, 12:47:54 PM »
We are in the finals!  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: December 14, 2022, 01:12:16 PM »
We are in the finals!  :)

Yay!
Go, Argentina!!!

I predict, Argentina will win the world cup 2:1 against France.

We have snow! I mean real snow that stays. There is still some grass looking out here and there but the last days have been cold enough that the snow on the ground no longer melts. The sun is behind clouds, the sky white and the streets are slippery.  It's not enough for sleighing yet, but the Christmas market will be especially beautiful tomorrow with snow.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: December 14, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »
Go Argentina! You have a good chance now. This was the first match that I watched this WC. I'll watch Morocco VS France tonight :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: December 15, 2022, 02:50:34 AM »
Go Argentina! You have a good chance now. This was the first match that I watched this WC. I'll watch Morocco VS France tonight :D
Did you enjoy our match? I have not seen Morocco-France, how was it?  Of course, all Argentina was rooting for Morocco.

Yay!
Go, Argentina!!!

I predict, Argentina will win the world cup 2:1 against France.

We have snow! I mean real snow that stays. There is still some grass looking out here and there but the last days have been cold enough that the snow on the ground no longer melts. The sun is behind clouds, the sky white and the streets are slippery.  It's not enough for sleighing yet, but the Christmas market will be especially beautiful tomorrow with snow.
Did you and your family had a good time? I am sure it was beautiful!

This evening we went to a coffe house (named "cofi jaus", which is how you would spell "coffe house" as it sounds in Spanish. We were there to celebrate a (now ex) coworker who retired a short while ago. We were 10 people. We had a good time. It was very hot so most people drank a lemonade or something like that. And to eat, I just had some toasts with cream cheese and jam (more or less the healthy thing there, as my stomach is still upset), but other ate cake, pudding, or avocado toast. The latter was just too much, because it was big, and it had a fried egg on top.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: December 15, 2022, 09:10:54 AM »
Your match was amazing. I always enjoy watching Messi in action, and Alvarez's first goal was just awesome :D , All Arabs were cheering for Morocoo, but France scored an early goal and Morocco couldn't keep up, losing 2-0. While I was cheering for Morocco, I'm kinda glad that they lost, because it would've made a one-sided final with you crushing them. Unfortunately you're going to contend with France now, that match is going to be epic!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: December 15, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »
Yes, it is going to be very difficult.

One of the best things of this WC was the appearance of this pic
https://www.infobae.com/new-resizer/DYsHDssrdSxK-Jtx450j2M4pqUA=/992x558/filters:format(webp):quality(85)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/infobae/NONECRIPGJGRTETJDTSTC6KJBM.jpg
The boy in the left is Alvarez, years ago, taking a pic with his idol, Messi. And now, they are idols together.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: December 18, 2022, 09:26:54 AM »
Hey!  ;D

There is more snow and some ice. The coldest day so far was -13°C, but mostly it is about -5 or -6°C. I destroyed our wooden metal rimmed snow shovel while trying to remove some ice plates from our pathway. Forzare! Oops.

We have been to some more Christmas markets, but yesterday we had to leave early, because the kids' toes started to freeze.

@Dina: what a cute story and picture with Messi and Alvarez.

Yesterday evening I insisted on watching Star Trek - The Undiscovered Country.
Because Micro was making fun of her father for learning a silly language that doesn't even exist (Klingon, lol). So I said, there are many people all around the world who know what Klingon is, and some even speak it. Let me show you it exists. LOL
I deliberately chose this movie, because there is a lot of talk in Klingon in it compared to the other ones. We had a lot if fun and my husband throwing in the occasional comment like "this means 'ship' " or "this negates the sentence".
After that we watched the animated "Grinch".

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: December 18, 2022, 05:40:35 PM »
Nooooooooo... Penalties..

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington