Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240573 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1800 on: October 19, 2022, 07:08:43 AM »
I watched The Lord of The Rings before I read the books, and I was an adolescent. It was a magical experience, literally. They were sold on DVDs that I bought and took with me to the farm where I was working summers, to play on an ancient pentium II PC, and I introduced all of my coworkers to the world of foreign movies with a bang. To see farmers who usually sleep 2 hours after sunset stay awake until the ungodly hour of 11 - gasp- just to finish a movie. :D The hobbit was a disappointment (I'd read LOTR and the Silmarillion by then) but I still enjoyed them. I'm hesitant to watch anything that won't measure up.
anyway, today is going to be a good day. I feel it :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: October 19, 2022, 07:17:09 PM »
My signature speaks the truth. ;) But don't tell my neighbours. Don't want to hurt their feelings. To them I say it's because of the birds. They tend to fly against clean windows, because they can't see the glass. Dirty windows are much safer for them. Though a few weeks ago there must have been a bird with bad eyes.  ;)

LOL @Dina, the baptism!

@Fcrate: I am sure they felt honoured that you spread knowledge of Tolkien's work among them.
And all the best wishes for Pyra.

I think we will finish Da Vinci's Demons today. Only one episode left.
After that I might be able to convince my husband to watch She -Hulk.

I was a bit disappointed by the end of Rings of Power. It felt as if the story had just started. I hope there will be more, some day. I liked it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: October 20, 2022, 06:09:11 AM »
I was a bit disappointed by the end of Rings of Power. It felt as if the story had just started. I hope there will be more, some day. I liked it.
Oh, I think the second season is already on its way. Of course it is just the beginning.

You are already finishing the whole Da Vinci's demons? Or just the first season?

She-Hulk is very short, so I do not think you will have any problems.

@Fcrate, I loved your stories about LOTR!

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: October 20, 2022, 11:37:33 AM »
You are already finishing the whole Da Vinci's demons? Or just the first season? 
Complete. We finished yesterday. We were watching 2 episodes per evening most of the time. Sometimes one in the afternoon, if the weather was ugly and the kids in their rooms. 8)
I liked the end when Girolamo
(click to show/hide)
. But I believe he didn't in real life. But I seem to remember that the bastard Giulio di Medici someday became the new pope. Just as Lorenzo told him as a baby. Just a fun fact not relevant to the story.
I kind of hoped, they would reveal that Mona Lisa was da Vinci's sister, but the story didn't progress so far.
I do believe Mona Lisa was a man he just painted looking like a woman. Because da Vinci always had beautiful apprentices  ;)

What I asked myself: Michelangelo was mentioned in the first season. Did he in this time period paint the Sixtin Chapel? As it was Pope Sixtus. I have to look up the timeline. I was in the Sixtin Chapel about 4 years ago, and we were told that he painted all the people falling down to hell with the faces of current corrupt bishops as a protest, because they made him do it as they wanted and not as he wanted. It is even said that he didn't want to do it in the first place but was blackmailed to do it. Also originally all of them were naked.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: October 23, 2022, 05:07:28 AM »
Hi everyone!
Regen, I agree in what you said about Girolamo. I also heard that the Mona Lisa could have been a man but I did not think that would be appearing in the show.

I just watched a movie (Argentina, 1985) about the trial we did to our last dictators (they were in power from 1976 to 1983. In 1983, the democratic president decided to judge then for the crimes against the alleged terrorists. At first, the Military would be judging them, but after 6 months passed without significant progress to that but, it was taken to the ordinary justice. It was the first time in history than a military dictatorship was judged by the civilian Justice. And it ended with the first president of the dictatorship and other high ranking officers in prison. The movie was very well done, and hubby and I finished it quite moved. I truly cried. It is a very sore topic for us.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: October 23, 2022, 11:45:34 AM »
  The movie was very well done, and hubby and I finished it quite moved. I truly cried. It is a very sore topic for us.
This I can imagine. It wasn't so far in the past.

I visited the ducks yesterday. One of the old ones is still there. And there are about 10 ducks now. At least 5 male and 5 female. We fed them some oats. It was just me and Micro. The others were still asleep, lol.

We finished She-Hulk yesterday. It was so much fun.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: October 24, 2022, 12:09:56 AM »
This I can imagine. It wasn't so far in the past.

I visited the ducks yesterday. One of the old ones is still there. And there are about 10 ducks now. At least 5 male and 5 female. We fed them some oats. It was just me and Micro. The others were still asleep, lol.

We finished She-Hulk yesterday. It was so much fun.

About the movie, yes, I have a lot of memories, and the real speech of the prosecutor at the moment still gives me goosebumps. The actor did a really good job summoning the mystique of the moment. It is a historical landmark for us. Our own Nuremberg of sorts.

I am glad you and micro had a good time with the ducks. And, as I recommended it to you, I am super happy you enjoyed She-Hulk. The ending was hilarious.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: October 24, 2022, 12:21:54 PM »
@Dina.
About She-Hulk. I would never have watched this, if you hadn't recommended it. So really thank you.  ;D I thought it would just be a dumb series about a female Hulk. Just as it is common to take a known male figure, let the same happen to a woman and wow, sexy and at the same time so ridiculous that you feel ashamed watching it, lol.
 I loved how they played with all those clichés.

By the way, there is a funny German word meaning being ashamed or embarrassed in someone else's stead or better for someone else, so if they are not embarrassed, I feel embarrassed for them: fremdschämen.
I think it is a rather recent invention, meaning only a few years old, 2 decades at most.
We Germans are famous for putting together known words in a new combination to give them more overall meaning, lol. This is what happened here.
fremd= foreign
schämen= to be ashamed or embarrassed

Edit: it is officially included in the Duden (THE German dictionary) since 2009.
Once something is in the Duden, it is an official word.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 12:31:19 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: October 24, 2022, 08:44:02 PM »
Hi Regen! We have the same expression (but with 2 words) at least since I was a child, I do not know if it existed before. It is to feel "vergüenza ajena". which is literally "shame from others", in the sense of "belonging to others".

I am glad you liked it. And those reasons you mentioned are one of the reasons I never read a She-Hulk comic (the main reason though was that I was never a fan of the original Hulk in the first place. Not in the comics. I did watch the TV show when I was a small child).

I began watching (episode 1/8 so far) an old show which is an spin-off of other show I watched before. The original one was called The Bletchley Circle and it is a fiction loosely inspired by the real life work of Alan Turin and his group as code breaker. This show was about female code breakers, her job and how they were dismissed in their everyday lives, as they could not tell what they were doing. In the show they began solving crimes after the war, with their talent to detect patterns and their logical mind. And the spin off I am watching now, Bletchley Circle San Franciso is about two of those women who join two American women to solve a serial killer case (or more, I am not sure yet). I am liking it so far.
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: October 25, 2022, 01:54:12 PM »
*drops in to say "Hi"*

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: October 25, 2022, 02:02:10 PM »
*jumps to glomp PD*
Ey! Hi there! How are you doing, PD? I hope you had a great birthday!

((((((((((PD))))))))))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: October 25, 2022, 03:15:09 PM »
I had a good birthday, yes. I got the original TRIGUN anime, plus a new TV stand for my new TV. Unfortunately, I now need a new DVD player, but that should be easy enough to source.

I appreciate the birthday cake you posted for me.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: October 26, 2022, 02:01:45 AM »
I thought you might like it  :)
I am very glad to hear it was a good one. I heard of Trigun but i never watched it or anything, i do no even know what it is about.
I wish you luck finding a DVD player, and congrats for your new TV! We have a new one this year too because the other had begun malfunctioning. Coincidentally this is a World Cup year, so the TV will be of good use  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 02, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »
Hello people!
How is everybody doing?
I have no big news but as my university changed the bank that is paying us our salary and as a welcome (and to keep us) the new bank is giving us some money in the credit card. So I bought a new cellphone (which I was in dire need). It is in six payments, but nearly half of the total sum is covered by the bank "gift". So I am happy, even when I am still getting used to it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 02, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »
Hello people!
How is everybody doing?
I have no big news but as my university changed the bank that is paying us our salary and as a welcome (and to keep us) the new bank is giving us some money in the credit card. So I bought a new cellphone (which I was in dire need). It is in six payments, but nearly half of the total sum is covered by the bank "gift". So I am happy, even when I am still getting used to it.

Hello and maen!

That's really good news about the bank. I am happy for you.  :)

I am painting Micro's room. She says it is for babies and she is right.  I've been dreading this day since I painted it for the first time 9 years ago. LOL. Because I painted a big yellow sun whose beams went up over the ceiling. Now I have to paint over it. I've done 3 layers of white so far and one can still see it.

Also the last time I painted this room, it was empty. Now there is furniture. So I have to paint the first half, move the stuff to the other side and then paint the second half.

Now I am waiting for the white to dry, so that I can cover it with blue except the ceiling and the space at the balcony door.

And I have a surprise for her. I have bought colour which glows in the dark, so she will get a night sky. I hope it works the way I imagine it.
And I hope one cannot see the colour during the day.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 01:13:28 PM by Regenbogen »