Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240331 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1785 on: October 01, 2022, 08:10:11 PM »
That is quite interesting.

Well, truth is, Christmas tradition have changed in the last decades. But on January 6th, it is the Reyes Magos (Wizard Kings) celebration, the epifanía, which is the moment where the Wise Men offered their gifts to baby Jesus. In that spirit, that day the Reyes Magos bring presents to the children. The night between 5 and 6of January, children put on the table a dish with some grass and a glass of water "for the camels". And they left their shoes in the living-room. The following morning the grass and water is gone and there are gifts on their shoes!
Well, traditionally we had some exchange of not so important gifts on Christmas, for adults and children, and on January 6th the children got their main gifts. Empirically, often on Christmas children got something like clothing or something they really needed, and the Reyes gave them toys, books and things to truly enjoy.

But in the last decades there has been a change. On Christmas' Day comes Santa (we called him Papá Noel) who brings presents to the children. We still have the Reyes Magos on January 6th, but they are less important now. The main even is shifting towards Christmas and Papá Noel.

Also, in some of our provinces, particularly on the North, it was Baby Jesus who brought presents on Christmas' Day, but that is also being replaced by Papá Noel.

Christmas has always been the main religious celebration here, and we put a Pesebre, the small figurines representing the Virgin Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in the barn, with the shepherds, the Reyes Magos and all that. But lately it becomes much more commercial, and many families did not even put the Pesebre. There is also more people that does not do anything religious related, just buys gifts for the Children and put the Tree because it is fun.

I never believed in Papá Noel, first because I am old and he was not so important, but also because Christmas' Day is my birthday, so everyone brought me gifts without pretendind they came from someone else. But I loved the Reyes! Some of my best memories are from waking up on January 6th.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: October 03, 2022, 11:53:20 AM »
Well, this is interesting and a beautiful tradition, Dina. Thanks for sharing.
We do celebrate the Wizard Kings, too. Though Christmas celebration is much more important here.
Here it is called the three holy kings. Organised by the catholic churches children dress as the holy kings and go from house to house to sing or say poems. They collect money for the church for donations to the poor and sweets for the children themselves. After you have given your share they take a piece of chalk and write the year and C+M+B on your door. The meaning is the latin Christus mansionem benedicat, Christ shall bless this house. Some say it is also the name of the kings. Caspar+Melchior+Balthasar. Though I think that's just to memorise it better than the latin words.

Today is an important holiday in Germany: Unity Day.
We celebrate that east and west are united again.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: October 03, 2022, 12:17:02 PM »
That is interesting about your celebration!
I actually would think in the name of the Wizards better than the latin words because "mansionem" it is such a fancy world, like a large, luxurious house. I would say domus or something like that.
We never had traditions of door to door visits, like in the Halloween movies. We were always fond of private family celebration but of course it was normal for children to spend January 6th gathering and playing with his new gifts (remember, in January we are on Summer Holidays, so children are free to spend all the day playing).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: October 03, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »
About the word mansio. iirc, the latin word originally just meant your home, the place where you currently stay or live. Not a big luxury home.
Whereas domus literally means the building. Not necessarily a home.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: October 04, 2022, 12:06:24 AM »
I do not remember that, but i would not be surprised if you are right. My Latin is quite rusty.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: October 08, 2022, 08:56:39 AM »
Sorry about the double post.
I finished "The Empress". As far as I can tell, most of the argument is an invention. That said, I liked all the episodes better than the first one, and I was interested in what was happening, even knowing how history would go.
I am wondering why they decided to totally ignore one of the Emperor's brother. It is as if Karl Ludwig never existed. Also, there are some inconsistencies in the writing. Overall, I do not regret having seen it, it was nice to dream a little with that life.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: October 08, 2022, 11:23:31 AM »
@Dina
Thank you for sharing. Sounds interesting.

I have started in the other lab, but same hospital, and it is great. I feel very welcome there.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: October 09, 2022, 04:06:03 AM »
Oh, I am so happy to hear that! They are lucky to have you and I hope they know it.

I watched "Werewolf by night". It is a Marvel movie from TV, it is less than an hour long, mostly in black and white with the looks of the Universal film monsters. It was sheer fun.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: October 11, 2022, 10:25:37 PM »
Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Regen :are you and your family fully recovered?
Dina: All good on your end?
I apologize for the long absence. I finally made the decision and put down the dog. Was a little hard, since I liked him a lot, but I managed to ease his suffering. Right after that, we had an unseasonal heat wave for 9 days, with temp reaching as high as 42 at morning and 28 at night, the result of which was that my oldest cow, Heidi, went into premature labor. I usually make sure my cows avoid such heat in the last 6 weeks of their pregnancy by scheduling births for the beginning of July at max, or better yet, middle to end of October. We got hit by the wave while Heidi was 1 month from her scheduled birth, and the heat stress was too much. The little calf should've been 35-42 kg at the regular birth date, but in this case, she was only 17 kg. She proceeded to lose another 2 kg because she was sickly, and her first 3 days were in the end of the heatwave. After 10 very difficult days of bottle feeding, medication, saline IV, showers every hour to lower her body temp when she got too hot and raising her temp when she went into shock, she finally pulled through. Which was a pleasant surprise; as I didn't expect her to live. Yesterday was the first day that she fully fed from her mother. Today she was playing with my dogs, chasing each other (she's still limping a bit from all the injections, and falls on her butt whenever she tries to move backwards, which looks very cute :D). She's actually still smaller than the dogs. I celebrated today with a BBQ. :D
I decided to call her Pyra ^^
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: October 11, 2022, 10:43:32 PM »
Hi Fcrate! All is good for me! I had a long weekend (they move the date of the Day off for the October 12 (when Columbus arrived to America, or to the Americas as people in USA says) to Monday. And i had home office today, so it was good. Tomorrow I will be back at my job, but it is nice to have a short week.

I am sorry you had to do that for the poor dog, but at least it is over now. And I am sure he felt cared for and loved, which is very important for dogs. On a related note, I saw a very adult movie, League of Super Pets, and the puppies were so cute...There are flashbacks, and the backstory of Ace, one of the dogs, melted my heart

But good news about your little cow! She is a fighter clearly, I would love to pet her  :)

Today Angela Lansbury died. I felt very sad (even when she was a very old woman) because i always enjoyed her work. I saw old movies like "the court Jester" and my beloved "Bedknobs and broomsticks". And I was a fan of "Murder, she wrote". I hope she rests in peace.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: October 13, 2022, 05:01:41 PM »
@Fcrate:

Good to see you back. I feel sad for you because of the dog, but I am sure you did what was best.

What a bad luck that there was this heat wave, but good that the calf survived.

We are all well again, though there is still some coughing, when I talk too much or sometimes during singing.
Nevertheless I am back with the choir. I always have some sweets with me to prevent too much coughing.
This weekend we are singing at the baptism of a choir member's granddaughter. This will be fun. Weddings and baptisms are usually the best.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: October 13, 2022, 11:18:24 PM »
Glad you are doing well and that you are back in choir.

When I arrived home I just watched the finale of She-Hulk and I loved it. It was fun!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: October 16, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »
We haven't seen She-Hulk yet. But maybe it's worth a try, if you liked it, Dina.
We are still watching Da Vinci's Demons. I must admit, I am sometimes very amused by the Pope's dry comments, though he is a murderous and cruel person. Also I somehow like Riario best. Maybe it's his eyes. He looks like such a nice guy with big sad innocent eyes. Even when he murders or tortures someone.
I decided not to see it as something historical, because it clearly isn't, though I think most persons existed and died in the correct order and approximately at their correct ages. I see it as just a story told. Then it's ok.

Today was the baptism. It was cute. The 2½ year old brother commented that his sister just got her hair washed, lol. The priest laughed at that.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: October 17, 2022, 08:27:54 AM »
MAEN all :) Pyra has good days and bad days, her immune system is weak, understandably, but these last two days were good. I took a video of her and the dogs chasing each other around yesterday. :D
Hmm, both of you are dropping hints about shows that I haven't watched. I'm interested in league of super pets. Lol
@Regen: Love your new sig. Rofl :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 17, 2022, 01:00:58 PM »
Hello everyone!
@Regen. I agree with @Fcrate, your signature is hilarious!
I am glad the baptism was good and had a fun anecdote. I have an anecdote of hubby's family. When his uncle was a little kid he was invited to a baptism of some baby relative and he was very proud of the suit he was wearing. Well, when the priest began throwing holy water around he was wet and he screamed "eh, what what you're doing! You wetting my little suit!". He was all offended  :) This story is from many decades ago and it is still told in the family  :D
Also, I absolutely agree about Da Vinci's demons. The pope is one of the most interesting characters and Girolamo is great.

I have finished Rings of Power! I mostly loved it, even when I have some minor problems with it. The show really grew on me.

@Fcrate. I hope she gets a little better with good food. Also, League of Super Pets is a movie. Here is a pic of one of the blashbacks.

Missing you, Md