Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244481 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1740 on: September 15, 2022, 01:03:43 PM »
LOL, that is adorable!

I was watching a local tv quiz show and they asked if the croissant were originally from France or Austria. And the answer was Austria! Do you know the German name, Regen? I bet is something that sounds terrifying to the untrained ear.
By the way, hubby is so confused by German grammar. Apparently the infinitive goes always at the end of a sentence, and if there are two infinitives they stack. That is weird for us.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: September 15, 2022, 01:46:41 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that about the croissants. Actually we mostly say croissant in almost French pronunciation. There are a lot of words in German that have French pronunciation. I think it's a leftover from old times when it was posh to know French.
Croissant, Orange (though we do pronounce the e at the end more than the French), Garage, Baguette, ...
According to wikipedia it is not exactly sure, if the croissant can be considered to be of Austrian origin. Honestly most of the times I ordered it, it was named croissant on the menu, too. But there might be also "Kipferl". I'll have to ask my husband. He is from Austria.
In Germany they can apparently be called "Hörnchen", I remember in my childhood to have bought " Milchhörnchen" at the bakery and I got something that looked and tasted like a croissant. Though I never thought about that. Next time in the bakery I'll look, what's actually on the label, lol.

And omg the grammar! I'm not good at grammar rules. Mostly I just read and listen a lot to a language and hope the rules reveal themselves by lots and lots of examples.
But this is something that's not so good on Duolingo. The lack of grammar. Maybe there is a grammar section on the website, I don't know.
Usually you would start and learn some basic words and put them in very simple sentences in present tense. Then, when you have learned a certain amount of verbs, you start to use some past tense. And this is where the rules should come. When to use which sort of past tense and future and how the complicated ones are ever called.

I admit, I had to look up infinite verbs, lol. Now I know what I'd meant again. It's the verb in it's original form so to speak.
Like "to go" in English: "gehen" in German and "ir" or "caminar" in Spanish (not sure which one, maybe both? There seem to be many words in Spanish for saying "to go").
And it is correct: in German the infinite is put at the end of a sentence. And there we have the grammar:
I have to go. Yo tengo que caminar? Ich muss gehen. You see the similarities?
Honestly I'm not sure about the Spanish, please correct me, if I am wrong.
And I would have to look up the past tense.
Now we have the information, that you have to go. But where? Home! Nach Hause.
Let's put that into a sentence:

I have to go home.
Yo tengo que caminar a casa. (Hit me if it's wrong ;) a la casa? A mi casa?)
And then there is the difference:
Ich muss nach Hause gehen.

I have to go home now.
Ich muss jetzt nach Hause gehen.

I have to ho home now with my friend.
Ich muss jetzt mit meinem Freund nach Hause gehen.
Edit: yo tengo que caminar a casa con mi amigo?

By the way. I hope he hasn't tried to write to me on Duolingo yet. Because I haven't found any communication there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:55:30 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: September 15, 2022, 03:15:30 PM »
LOL, all right, those words for croissant do not sound too bad. What does they mean?
In general, here we call croissants the big pastries, and the smaller ones we called "medialunas" (half moons). Argentinians love medialunas and our typical quick breakfast in a bar is a latte ("café con leche") with medialunas.

You are right there are many words for "to go", but the better one is "ir". Caminar is "to walk". I mean, you can go to any place by bus for example, and that uses "ir", while "caminar" is only using your feet, one step after the other  :)

Funny thing about "going home". In general, most Spanish speakers would say "ir a casa" or "a mi casa", more or less without distinction. But Mexicans would say "a la casa". Sometimes Spaniards too, but I am not sure about when they use each form.
No idea about hubby, I will ask him when I see him later, but I do know he found you, because he told me about your avatar.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: September 15, 2022, 03:46:41 PM »
OK, thanks, so ir is correct, when I mean to move myself towards home by any means including my own feet? And by caminar I actually walk all the way home with my own feet? This is also not very clear on Duolingo.

Hörnchen means little horn, because they are horn shaped. Kipferl is basically the same meaning used in Austria and in Bavaria/Germany. Any horn shaped food can be called Kipferl, but for me it soundd like something sweet.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: September 15, 2022, 05:44:01 PM »
Double post! He just came home from work. And he knew that croissants have been invented from Austrians. It is said that she the Turks besieged Vienna, the people baked half moon shaped pastries to show the Turks that they still had plenty food, they even could afford to invent fancy stuff.

There is a similar story about Augsburg. At the ancient city walls there is a statue of a man. His name is lost, but he is known as the "stoinerne Mo" , dialect for the stone man. Legend says he was a baker or so, I have to look it up, I think he lost an arm. When the Turks  or maybe the Huns besieged Augsburg and there was almost no more food, he collected all the flour of the city and even mixed it with sawdust to bake a lot of bread to throw them over the wall and cried "See, you can'tdefeat us. We still have plenty to eat, here,  have some bread." I think he was killed then. But he became a local hero .

Edit:
I looked it up. One tends to get confused by all the historical and political stuff that happened a few hundred years ago.
Both stories (Vienna and Augsburg) took place in the same century. Vienna supposedly in 1683 and Augsburg during the Swedish occupation somewhere before 1635. And due to the thirty years war it wasn't the turks, but Bavarian troops who tried to regain the city. The baker is supposed to be successful in making the besiegers give up, though they got frustrated and shot off his arm (yay, I knew there was something about a lost arm). The baker died due to his injuries. But the army left.
The Swedes gave back the city in 1635.

Honestly I gave up trying to memorize stuff somewhere about a quarter through the 30years war. I just summarized it somehow in my head as fight kill fight catholics protestants bake bread.

Today there still is this statue and it's supposed to bring luck if you rub his metal nose.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:31:18 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: September 15, 2022, 09:50:46 PM »
Well, that was an interesting story.

We have some pastries (salty ones) that we call "cuernitos" which translated as "little horn" but they are not C-shaped. They are vaguely spiral-shaped, I guess like an unicorn horn or something.
You can see them here

So you know, if you come here, not to confuse with your little horns.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: September 16, 2022, 06:08:13 PM »
Well, that was an interesting story.

We have some pastries (salty ones) that we call "cuernitos" which translated as "little horn" but they are not C-shaped. They are vaguely spiral-shaped, I guess like an unicorn horn or something.
You can see them here

So you know, if you come here, not to confuse with your little horns.
Looks yummy. Is it just the dough or is there something inside?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:01 PM »
Just the dough, as they have fat. They have no filling.
Instead, medialunas can be filled or not (more often, not filling).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: September 18, 2022, 05:10:57 PM »
I'm looking at the picture and getting hungry. I'll have to get up and eat something. Though it is hard to get up. My husband and I are having covid. The kids don't (yet). I'm having a fever, coughing, headache and somehow all my muscles seem to hurt. Fun, fun, fun.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: September 18, 2022, 07:46:01 PM »
Oh Rogen! Please, take care of yourselves. I hope you get better very soon, because that sounds really uncomfortable. Also, what about isolation? Sorry you cannot go to the bakery for some pastries, but I hope you have plenty of food at home. Hubby sends you his good wishes too.

I am having a lazy Sunday, with a Zoom planned in a while with a few friends.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: September 19, 2022, 07:00:47 AM »
@Dina
Thank you and your hubby as well.
We have several people who can buy groceries for us.

I hope you had fun yesterday.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 20, 2022, 07:04:48 PM »
Hello everyone! I hope you and your hubby are feeling better, Regen.
I am working from home today, which is good. Tomorrow is Spring Day here! I will work from home too because the university is closed. Spring Day is also Student's Day, so students of High School and University got to celebrate without classes. In case you are wondering, primary school children have classes that day, but not September 11, which is primary school Teacher's day.
Things at work are going better. I cannot say they are wonderful, but they are better and that is good enough for me  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 21, 2022, 08:02:07 AM »
Hello ladies..It's been a while. I've been following the posts but haven't had the energy to reply myself, so here's a little concentrated reply:
@Regen: I hope you and your husband are better now. Are MiniRegenbogen and MicroRegenbogen okay?
@Dina: These baked goodies look awesome. I love baking stuff (pizza from scratch with a heavy sweet dough and stuffed crust is my favorite) and I love buying them. Bakeries are my weakness; whenever I pass one by and they have just finished baking something I have to buy some from what ever it is.
I'm glad things are improving at your work, but how is your computer holding up?

So there's this thing that's bothering me a lot. There's  this absolutely lovely stray dog in my village, very friendly to everyone. I always played with him a bit whenever I passed by. He was kinda adopted by the whole street. About a month ago I saw that he got crippled. Apparently he took a nap under one of the government contractors vehicles and they ran him over. He couldn't use his back legs anymore. I wanted to put him down using the extra strength tranq that I use for surgery on my cows (3 ml will put a 700 cow to sleep for 4-6 hours) , but at the time I only had 2 ml left, and I wasn't sure they'll be enough. I finally managed to get a new bottle about 10 days ago, but by then I saw the dog actually walking on two legs, with his back legs stiff and unmoving. He managed to walk, not crawl, and he seems to find enough food. So I let him be. A few days later the man who kinda adopted him came by to buy some milk and we talked a bit, he says the dog is in a lot of pain and whines a lot at night. Now I'm a little unsure what to do. Should I let him go on? He seems to manage, but I don't want him to suffer. Any thoughts?
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: September 21, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fcrate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see you back!

That's a difficult decision what to do with the dog. Maybe he has more pain because he walks around using the bad legs too much. I can't imagine how he could walk without using his hind legs at least a little bit. And that's why they hurt him so much when the day is gone.
I've seen people build kind if a
wheelchair for dogs without hind legs: A little cart with two wheels so they can even run with their front legs and the cart makes it possible for them to move almost normal. If you could find a way to make something like that for him, maybe the pain will lessen after a while. I'll look it up, I can't really describe it that well. And I'm not sure if it can be used on dogs who still have their legs.

If not I'm afraid it would be better to let him go.  :(
This is so sad. The poor dog.

Edit:
I almost forgot: mini and micro have it too. So we are all in quarantine at the same time. Good I had some foresight and bought medicine and lots of food last week. My mother , a friend and some neighbours are helping with stuff.

Edit2:
It's in German, but just so you see what I mean. Somewhere there even was an instruction how to build them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hunderollstuhl+selber+bauen&client=ms-android-gigaset&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ALiCzsag_NcHEEB_FhUm7JktJf53bHainQ:1663753740028&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijzavVzaX6AhW_X_EDHSutCRsQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=3

Edit3: oh, I think they can't get out or in on their own, which is bad, if he wants to lie down. He would need someone to take care of him all the time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:00:11 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: September 21, 2022, 09:56:14 AM »
Thanks Regen. Hope all of you get well soon.
As I said, the hind legs are completely stiff, turning inward towards the stomach at an acute angle. He balanced on the two hind legs and hobbled along. And this is a stray, even if I could make something like that, it'll remove it, or the other strays will beat him up. Likewise I can't bring him into the farm. My dogs would destroy him.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير