Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240674 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1725 on: September 06, 2022, 08:50:51 AM »
@Fcrate:
Don't change my name or you might change the core of my being. Rogen are fish eggs. LOL

I like chocolate ice too. Sometimes we had one with little chunks of dark chocolate in it. Sometimes it was just the coating of a milk ice popsicle. With almonds. Delicious.
I like vanilla too. On it's own or combined with chocolate or strawberry sauce, or in orange juice. There is even a name for the orange juice combination. Ok, you could add cream on top and if you like some vodka or other alcohol like schnaps, but it tastes good too, if you just put some orange juice on top of the vanilla ice cream. It is called "sanfter Engel" (gentle angel in English).
As I didn't have orange juice, I used apple juice. That was delicious, too. Yummy.

I love book shopping, too, but with school books it is annoying. Most books the can lend from the school library. You put in your name in the included list and give them back at the end of the year. According to the extent of the damage you inflict on the book, you have to pay a certain percentage. Last year we had to pay a whole book, because in the second to last week of school MicroRegenbogen's bottle broke and there was tea in the whole school bag.
But if you take care of the books, you just give them back and nothing else happens.
Mostly it is exercise books one needs to buy. And there are so many different kinds, and you have to buy exactly the one the teacher wants. The shops are prepared for this, so if you go shopping these days, you see a lot of different exercise books, which all look the same on first sight. And stressed parents searching for the right one.
It gets easier when you already have a supply of unused or not completely used ones at home from previous years.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 06, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
I would have never thought in trying icecream with orange juice, but I had it several times with soda (sparkling water).  I think the cream (plain cream, like chantilly) ice cream goes very well with grenadine too. I am a fan of grenadine.

I love book shopping too. In most of our schools are like book markets where elder children sells their used book to the younger ones. Of course, the problem is with the exercise books you have to complete, because teachers did not accept children having already filled books.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 06, 2022, 04:39:48 PM »
I've heard about icecream with cola, but all of these sound like rocket science to me. :D
@Regen: I had Seth Rogen on my mind :P I'd just watched a YouTube clip from the movie "This is the end".
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 06, 2022, 06:08:43 PM »
I've heard about icecream with cola, but all of these sound like rocket science to me. :D
@Regen: I had Seth Rogen on my mind :P I'd just watched a YouTube clip from the movie "This is the end".

Mr Fish Eggs :-X.   ;D

Talking about funny names: Johnny Depp..... The word "Depp" means "idiot" or "fool" or "stupid person". LOL
Sorry Mr. Depp. But it is funny.

Don't know about ice cream with cola. Probably worth a try. Maybe tomorrow. We have no cola at home and it is after 8pm, so the shops are closed. I could buy some for taste experiments.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: September 06, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
Hah. If the shoe fits.. :D
You have no idea how weird it is to read that sentence. It's after 8 pm and the shops are closed...

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: September 06, 2022, 08:46:35 PM »
Why? How long are shops open in Egypt?

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 06, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »
Well, big supermarkets are a relatively new thing here (in the past 20 years), and most of these do close at 10, or 9. But local stores don't usually close until midnight. Some go further, and in the city there's at least one store open 24/7 in each street.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: September 08, 2022, 12:50:15 AM »
Oh, local stores here close around 20 or 21 (not supermarkets) but there are several 24/7 where you can find some things. Coca-cola is one of those things very easy to find anywhere.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 08, 2022, 06:19:15 PM »
So, the Queen is dead. It felts somehow surreal, as if that was not going to happen. Even when after the death of her husband I knew she would probably don'y live too much.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: September 08, 2022, 06:24:07 PM »
So, the Queen is dead. It felts somehow surreal, as if that was not going to happen. Even when after the death of her husband I knew she would probably don'y live too much.
I just wanted to write about her death too.
This is so weird. It's King Charles now.
She ruled since 1952. I admit, I cried when I saw the news.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 08, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
I was sad too, which is much weirder considering how much I hated her when I was a child. But you have to respect his dedication to the Crown. Regardless, it is the end of a long Era, so many things happened under her time.

They just confirmed the new king will keep his name, he will be King Charles III. And I just heard the BBC saying that UK is saying, for the first time in 70 years, God save the King.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:50:39 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: September 13, 2022, 01:05:29 PM »
Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well.
I wanted to share this tweet about English grammar. I thought it was interesting.
https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1569366666844192769
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 13, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well.
I wanted to share this tweet about English grammar. I thought it was interesting.
https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1569366666844192769
Oh my. Thank you. This addresses exactly my inner geek.
I once was confused by the word "lickspittle", when I first read it in a book. I knew exactly what it meant, but I would have said " spittlelicker". I noticed it was the other way around than usual verb+noun to verb/nouns combinations.
Cool, this guy puts a name on it and it even sounds scientific.
Or cutthroat. Not throatcutter.

Apropos lickspittle. The word brown nosing. LOL. I first read it actually in the Dresden Files and I knew what was meant, and immediately found it extremely amusing. Because in German we say "Arschkriechen" meaning crawling into the arse of someone. Literally arse crawler. The English word describes what that crawler would look like afterward. LOL.
If I had been alone at that moment, I would have jumped up and down giggling. So I just laughed a bit, and my husband asked what it was about. I told him, but he didn't share my amusement. His geekiness goes in other directions.

Lickspittle in German is in fact the other way around: Speichellecker, spittlelicker. First the noun, then the verb made noun. Leckspeichel doesn't sound right. But I think if I called someone that, he would understand.  LOL

Well, this is the funny stuff they don't teach at school.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 02:33:45 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: September 13, 2022, 06:32:51 PM »
Yes! I found it super interesting too!
Spittlelicker is a disgusting idea, but we have 2 expression with similar meaning that are awful too. One is very rude, and it tranlate as "ass licker" (it is quite similar as ass-kissing in concept), But a milder, popular used expression translates as
"sock-sucker". This latter expression is used even for a children, and I remember it baffled me a lot when I was very young. I could not imagine someone sucking socks.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 15, 2022, 06:21:49 AM »
Sucking socks. LOL. Old worn stinky socks from sweaty feet, yikes.

Funny thing this morning. I think I told you once that you can talk to our cat and she will answer. My husband did it this morning when he left the house for work.
He was just opening the door, when the cat came after him.
Cat: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaao!
Husband: To work.
Cat: maaaaao?
Husband: you can go to Mama (=me)
Cat: maaaaaaaaaaoooooorrrrrrr!
Husband: Not *MiniRegenbogen*, she is at school.
Cat:  Grrrrrr?
Husband: Yes, yesterday she was at school, too.
Cat: Maaaaaaaooooooo.
Me: Tomorrow too, sorry.
Cat: Maaaaao. Grrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaao.
Husband: No, she'll be at home for the weekend. But Monday is school again.
Cat: Mrrrrr.

LOL