Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240535 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1665 on: August 05, 2022, 06:58:03 AM »
You are lucky. ;D I slept over it and can remember now. It was The Fall Guy from the early 80s.
I looked it up. In some later episodes his hair was about to look greying.
Wasn't kindergarten time, but a friend from this time. We were in elementary school by then. But in different villages. We still often played with each other when I was with my grandmother. Our mothers were best friends, so sometimes we had no choice, lol.
I live only a few houses from his father now, but he himself doesn't live here any more.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 05, 2022, 07:46:16 AM »
I am used to ebooks now, much easier for my sight as I can modify the font size. But I still prefer paper books.
I have too many books and I am unable to throw them away. Ebooks take no space. Also I can get the ebook as soon as it is released in the middle of the night when all book stores are closed.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 05, 2022, 08:49:06 AM »
I have too many books and I am unable to throw them away. Ebooks take no space. Also I can get the ebook as soon as it is released in the middle of the night when all book stores are closed.
A good reason. A great advantage.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 05, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »
I agree, Arjan. That is one of the main reasons hubby and I have kindles.

You are lucky. ;D I slept over it and can remember now. It was The Fall Guy from the early 80s.
I looked it up. In some later episodes his hair was about to look greying.
Wasn't kindergarten time, but a friend from this time. We were in elementary school by then. But in different villages. We still often played with each other when I was with my grandmother. Our mothers were best friends, so sometimes we had no choice, lol.
I live only a few houses from his father now, but he himself doesn't live here any more.

Oh, I remember that show. I did not like it very much, even when it has the six-million man, but at the time we had so few TV networks that sometimes I watched it. I had totally forgotten about that show though  :)

Today Netflix released Sandman. I am a fan of the comic, so I am excited. Looking forward to this night, to watch it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 07, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »
I agree, Arjan. That is one of the main reasons hubby and I have kindles.
Oh, I remember that show. I did not like it very much, even when it has the six-million man, but at the time we had so few TV networks that sometimes I watched it. I had totally forgotten about that show though  :)

Today Netflix released Sandman. I am a fan of the comic, so I am excited. Looking forward to this night, to watch it.
I agree. The show wasn't that good. And nobody even had green hair.  ;)
Did you watch Sandman? How is it? Comic? I thought it was a book (or I think several books) by Neil Gaiman? Is the comic made after the book or something completely different.
I was thinking about reading it for a while now.

My daughter is watching the newest Fantastic Beasts movie at a friend's.
The friend and her parents were at a shop and were surprised that they gave prizes to children with good grades, if they could prove them. They had fotos on the cell phone and she won the DVD. Cool.

I am reading the German version of Ghost Story. This time the title is almost accurately translated with Geistergeschichten. Almost, because it's plural instead of singular.
A lot of errors in this one and in Changes, too. Not only common spelling mistakes, but also grammatical ones, sentences with missing endings, and Harry calls "infringa" instead of "infriga". I hope they correct that stuff in the new books. It is annoying. I'll probably see it in two years. They are going to start with the first books in November this year. But I won't read them right away. Would be too early.  I will need a break after my read through.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 08, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
Hello everyone!
We have now seen 8/10 episodes of the show. We think it is pretty good. There are some changes with the original material but in general there are for good reasons (like they cannot use a character) or actually better ideas. There is only one thing I really did not like, and it involves a sort of pet, which are my weakness  :)

Sandman is a comic by Neil Gaiman, with I do not remember if 60 or 72 original numbers (5 or 6 years that is the thing I do not remember) and some other numbers crossing over with them. If you can, please read it. It is truly one of the best comics ever written, in my opinion and in the opinion of many people too. But I have two caveats. I personally do not like the ending. It makes sense with the whole run of the story, and it closes it nicely, but I did not enjoy it. And there are some very dark moments, especially in the first numbers (one in particular is quite disturbing). But believe me, it is still worthy. There are some mind-provoking thing and some moments that are truly beautiful, and the characters are amazing.

Congrats for the good grades prizes! That is a wonderful idea.
I watched that movie a couple of weeks ago and found it quite meh. It is not bad per se but it is totally forgettable. I liked to see a young Minerva McGonagall, but her role is not large. And there are also magic animals who are hurt, and, as I told you, that makes a movie much less enjoyable for me.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 08, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »
@Regen: You must have been proud. That was amazing. The movie itself was good in my opinion, but not on par of the first two.
@Dina: have you seen Bambi? Or old Yeller? Or Cujo for that matter. (I didn't see Cujo but I read the book). Yikes.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 09, 2022, 12:22:16 AM »
@Fcrate, I've seen Bambi when I was a child. I cried a lot and grew a strong hate for hunters that still keep.  My parents warned me never to watch Old Yeller, and I obeyed them. Since then, I learnt what that movie is about, and it is in my "no-no" list (together with I am Legend, Marley and I and Hachi).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 09, 2022, 04:12:05 AM »
Damn. How did I forget I am Legend. That scene destroyed me.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 09, 2022, 07:37:29 AM »
I have people that warns me about those things. Also, there is a website that you can consult, it is called something like "did the dog die?" Of course, sometimes they surprised me. The beginning of the newest Fantastic Beast was sad and there is another sad scene in the middle. Also, there was a Riddick movie where a "dog" die and I felt very sad. Still, none of those two were as bad as I suspect my no-no are.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 18, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »
Hello there weirdest of the weird :D
How's everybody doing?
@Dina: Somehow, animals suffering always hits me harder than when people suffer. Riddick wasn't so bad, because they didn't dwell on the scene, and it was a quick one. Having to put down your own animal is... Ouch...
Question: did you see "Solace"? It's a 2015ish movie with Anthony Hopkins and Colin Farrel.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 18, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »
Hello!!!
In movies like Riddick, the focus is not on characters or deep emotions. Honestly I can't remember there being any dog at all.
But it is a pattern in some movies: if you see the main character being attached to his pet, especially dogs, and it is a movie with at least a little bit of depth beside all the action, then you can be almost sure, the dog will die and they show the mourning. I think it is, because almost everyone can relate to something similar in real life.
In Riddick I think there was no time to dwell on one's feelings.
I can remember, I watched Pitch Black and Riddick and each time I thought, there would have been potential to go deeper with the character, but was disappointed that they didn't.

I can't remember if I've seen Solace.
But we watched "Meg" yesterday. There was a dog, but as it didn't belong to one of the main characters, I predicted it's survival though it didn't seem so at first, and I was right, lol. It also was clear that there would be a love story involved.
I liked the sharks. Though of course they often didn't behave like real sharks would, but it's fiction, so why not, lol.

Apropos real life: my older daughter was a hero today in my eyes. The little one screamed and I wasn't fast enough to get to her, but she went there and protected her from a big spider until I could come and remove it. Both kids and myself are afraid of spiders. And it was a really big one. I think it's the biggest spider there is in Germany. It is not dangerous but ugly, lol. And my daughter was very courageous standing barefooted only one metre apart from it, while hugging her little sister, who was sitting on her bed.

Edit:
Oops, I forgot to warn about the spider picture in the following link. -->

https://www.nabu.de/imperia/md/nabu/images/arten/tiere/spinnen/170912-nabu-winkelspinne-helge-may.jpeg

Edit#2:
My father always told me that the best countermeasure against fear is information, so I informed myself a lot about spiders in my youth and they ARE fascinating creatures. BUT I am still afraid, lol.
I can be fascinated looking at a spider , but once it moves, the fear kicks in. Especially if it moves towards me or if it appears suddenly out of nowhere, like they often do, especially those fast spiders from the link I sent.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:00:05 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:57 PM »
Oh Regen, that is amazing! I am afraid of spiders too (I did not click the link) so I totally get it. You must be very proud of your daughter!

Riddick, I still do not remember the name of the movie. It was not a real dog, it was an alien more like a hyena, but he had more or less tamed him (or her, I do not remember). So it made me sad. IIRC Riddick greeted his teeth and killed the one who killed the dog, but showed no more emotion than that, because he is Riddick.

In my childhood, my parents always (gently) laughed at me because I always cried when an animal was killed on screen, but never when humans died. They used to say things like "you will like this movie, it is only people who died". But it was and still it is true. I never had trouble understanding actors were acting, but animals, even when I rationally knew they were acting too (or even their deaths were not shown) always hurt me in the emotional level. Oh, let's not talk about Artax! Also, there is an animated movie about LOTR. In it, the old pony Bill is killed by the monster near Moria. I do not think I cried but I was very sad. Many years later, i've read the book, and I was becoming apprehensive when reaching that part...and Bill survives! I was so happy  :)

I had not seen "Solace", no. And I agree with Regen about the patter in "serious" movies.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 18, 2022, 04:29:19 PM »
@Regen: I don't really fear spiders, but that beast is quite scary tbh. We only have small, flimsy and harmless spiders here. Kudos to your daughter.
@Dina: it's just called Riddick, I think.
About Solace:
(click to show/hide)
The scene hit me hard, but it was nothing compared to the impact of watching Will Smith put his dog down in I am Legend.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 19, 2022, 01:16:03 PM »
@Regen: I don't really fear spiders, but that beast is quite scary tbh. We only have small, flimsy and harmless spiders here. Kudos to your daughter.
@Dina: it's just called Riddick, I think.
About Solace:
(click to show/hide)
The scene hit me hard, but it was nothing compared to the impact of watching Will Smith put his dog down in I am Legend.
Solace sounds very sad.
Tbh, before I had children myself the death of a child in fiction didn't have much impact on me. I was also the one to cry at the death of a dog. OK, I pretended not to cry, but I can't really hide it that well. My face gets blotchy, my eyes stay red and swollen for at least a quarter of an hour after crying and my upper lip swells.
But now I am the same with children.

We watched the newer "It" a few days ago and I didn't cry about the child, I think because they didn't show the aftermath/the impact on the family at all, but I was afraid for the cat who was watching the child's death. If I were the clown, I would go for the witness. But to my relief the cat survived.

About the spiders: they can run 50cm/s  :o That's why they seem to appear out of nowhere.

Edit:
@Dina: I have purchased the first Sandman comic as eBook  now. Just looked at the first pages. Looks good. I think I will like this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:18:06 PM by Regenbogen »