Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240505 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1635 on: July 26, 2022, 11:54:44 PM »
LOL! I imagine. I try not to use the phone so much, only for pictures, whatsapps and...actual calls. I do not like to read in small screens.

Don, I love old houses being renovated. It makes my heart smile.
I am doing all right. I suppose this is the last semester where I did some classes online, via Zoom. I will miss it, it is so good not having to commute.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 27, 2022, 08:23:03 AM »
((((((((((((((((((Don))))))))))))))))))))
You are missed!
I hope you do not seat in front of a computer too often because of good reasons, and having better things to do.
I renovate old houses these days.  Not many zoom meeings for a job like that :P

My laptop sits collecting dust, for the most part.  I use my phone for most things these days.

Anyway, I hope you're doing alright.
For some reason I expected you to say "You ask me, on this day... of my daughter's wedding"... :D
Hello Don, good to meet you :)
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 27, 2022, 09:05:59 AM »
Don is a dear friend and a Weird citizen.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 28, 2022, 12:49:23 AM »
The old crew has moved on, so I don't follow up  :(

It is nice to see you still here, holding down the fort.  Has Cen (Moon) checked in at all lately?  You can DM me on that if you want. 
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 28, 2022, 07:31:52 AM »
Hello, Don!
Nice to meet you. :)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 28, 2022, 12:03:19 PM »
Hi Don.
Cen has not been here in ages, probably since the forum moved. But they are doing well. I will PM you their tweet if you want to follow them. They are in a transition phase, as their amazing and lovely guide dog, Layla, is retiring and they are training a new dog. I am sure they love if you say hello.

I just bought the kindle version of "The Law". Looking forward to read it!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 29, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
As it is nice to meet you, Mr. Bogen.

Yeah, PM me.  I'll say hello.

And The Law wasn't what I expected, but I really enjoyed it.  I got it through Audible and listened at work.  Jim Butcher narrates it.  He did a good job, I think. 

Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 29, 2022, 09:36:37 PM »
Done

*hides a smile for her own reasons*

Yes, I am about to venture to the DFspoilers section to talk about The Law but it surprised me too. I liked it but some things felt odd. I know about the audible version, but it is too difficult for me to understand oral English, so i waited for the e-book.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 09:38:11 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 30, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
And The Law wasn't what I expected, but I really enjoyed it.  I got it through Audible and listened at work.  Jim Butcher narrates it.  He did a good job, I think.

I have the kindle version, so I decided to try out the audio as well, but had had no time yet.

Just the beginning. It feels like a guy eager to present his work, but told to talk more slowly, so that it doesn't sound hectic or too enthusiastic.

Does that get better?

I liked his Marcone voice in Even Hand. That WAS Jim Butcher's voice, wasn't it? Sometimes I wasn't sure, because he sounded so cold just like I imagined Marcone. Very cool.

I will listen to it once I'm through with my reread.

@Dina:
Not even audio books, when the narrator is reading extra slowly. It's not like they talk in the movies or - worse - in interviews. Usually it is very clear pronunciation.
But I admit, I mostly listen to English audio books only after I have read them.
Except Codex Alera. I wasn't able to read past the boring beginning, so I forced myself to listen. It is read by Kate Reading, and she does an incredible job.

Also James Marsters' voice is Harry's voice in my head. After reading the books I imagined Harry's voice deeper, but once I listened to Marsters, I found him perfect.

Whereas the guy reading Peter Grant in Rivers of London didn't fit in my opinion. But there I only tried out one book.

I prefer reading, but sometimes it is practical to listen, too. Especially when I have things to do, but want to know how the story continues right away.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 30, 2022, 03:33:53 PM »
*hides a smile for her own reasons*
Looks like she didn't notice either :D or just decided not to make an issue out of it. Lol

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 30, 2022, 05:14:36 PM »
 ;) she decided not to make issue and hides a smile herself.  8)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 30, 2022, 09:30:04 PM »
 :)
About audio books. To be honest, I have not tried audiobooks in English in a long, long time. Perhaps I am a little better now but I am not sure. I struggle a lot when trying to watch something in English without subtitles, and that is even with the visual help. Besides, I simply have no habit. I very rarely listen to audiobooks in my own language, and when I do is mostly because I want to hear the voice of someone I know, and not for the text itself. And with English, I have to pay a lot of attention and it is tiring. But i may try again, who knows?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 30, 2022, 10:49:09 PM »
I thought so at first, but it's much easier than movies. I've listened to some audio book samples, and they were very clear, which makes sense, because they're designed to be listened to, unlike movies which are designed to be watched. The diction is precise and accents are less pronounced. Still not my thing though. I only read English ebooks for economic reasons, but I read physical Arabic books. Preferably ones with recycled yellow paper. With a cup of tea and possibly a hookah to smoke. Heaven. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 31, 2022, 04:13:30 AM »
I am used to ebooks now, much easier for my sight as I can modify the font size. But I still prefer paper books.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 31, 2022, 07:51:39 AM »
Yes that is a great feature. And one can read in the dark without having to hold a flashlight. This honestly is, why I decided to try ebooks. And because of a maximum capacity of space for bookshelves, lol.

I only listen to audiobooks either because of the narrator or because it is a book I definitely want to read but am somehow not able to get past a boring part. The last time this happened was, when a friend wanted to talk about a book we have both read, but the stuff she talked about, I had no memory of it. But it was definitely in the book I have read, but there were boring parts and I kind of hopped over them but accidentally hopped over some important parts too, lol.

Does it happen to you too, that you sometimes try to lift a page of your e-reader with your fingers? And when you read a paper book after reading a lot of e-books, do you sometimes tap the right side of the page? I do that a lot.