Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240404 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1590 on: July 02, 2022, 04:08:26 PM »
I love all those ideas!
Water polo: football in a pool
golf: boring walking football (rich people's football)

I am glad you liked the dog, so cute. And Fcrate, I just realized you will see me for the first time in World Cup mode.
*Takes his shovel and starts to dig an extended trench for cover* :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 03, 2022, 12:59:45 AM »
 :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 03, 2022, 03:20:03 AM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Billiard: football on table with long sticks

;D  ;D  ;D

I was at the river yesterday. There are good places to climb down there this summer. I'll go swimming there tomorrow or so. Today there is an event near the best and nearest place to climb down. So there will be many people there. But there will be food. Maybe we'll go there and eat something. If I can bring myself to be with so many people.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 04, 2022, 12:32:45 PM »
 :)

That sounds so fun, Regen. Enjoy yourself!

Happy 4th of july for those from USA (including Jim Butcher)!  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: July 11, 2022, 11:08:17 PM »
Anybody here? It has been inhabited for ages.
We had our National Independence Day! Sadly, a Saturday, so it was not as good, but I still had empanadas and it was rainy but not cold, so that was something.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 12, 2022, 01:44:09 PM »
I am the spirit of rainbows future, present and past. You summoned me oh great Dina of the Weird People.

;D

I am sooooooo tired, but I managed to pick up all the fallen apples just now. They are not ripe yet, not even fully grown, so I had to throw them away.
But good news! The one apple tree which got infected with fungus seems to be healthy again. At least the half that hasn't died off. Now there are apples again on new twigs. And he looks really cool. One half dead wood, the other green and full of apples. I consider calling him Hel. Or after any other mythological creature/god with half their body dead and the other half alive. LOL

@Dina. I hope you enjoyed your independence day.

The heat wave here is over, and it rains sometimes, but it is not enough. Everything is dry and the grass is more brown than green.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 13, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »
@Dina: Nothing says celebration like fried empanadas. :)
@Regen: couldn't you make cider out of them? I'm making some today. Also Eleanor is always up for any amount of spoiled apples. :D

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 13, 2022, 11:50:13 AM »
@Dina: Nothing says celebration like fried empanadas. :)
@Regen: couldn't you make cider out of them? I'm making some today. Also Eleanor is always up for any amount of spoiled apples. :D
LOL. Certainly not. There is only one toilet :o
No, they get to be recycled with the organic waste. These early ones are really not edible. Maybe if we had pigs, but we don't. They are going to be ripe in August. Then we make juice, cider and cake. But not too much. Honestly only the apples of the half dead tree are kind of delicious. In the last years without these delicious ones we simply sold most of our apples to a small firm, which makes juice and cider out of a mix regional fruit. You sell your fruit and can choose their weight's worth out of their different sorts of juice. That was nice, so we could get all kinds of juice for our apples, not only apple juice.
Our village has an apple press. You can go there and get your own apple's juice, but the first time we did that without the Hel-tree's apples, we could barely drink the stuff. Even with a lot of sugar.
But the toilet was pretty frequented afterwards. And I often slept with a hot-water bottle on my aching tummy, lol.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 13, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
I am so glad you two are here!
@Regen, that sounds great about the apple press and the local firm. And I hope the tree makes a recovery. I would call him "Heisenberg"  :P
I like your answer to my summoning  :)
@Fcrate, well, actually...we had empanadas from the oven. They are healthier and I prefer them because they are less juicy. Hubby sometimes buys fried empanadas, but I prefer the oven ones. And when I make them, I always do them in the oven because it is cleaner and easier. But this Saturday we had them by delivery.

It is cold again here, I will try to do work from home tomorrow so I can remain warm (but not today, today I need to go to the lab)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 13, 2022, 05:47:15 PM »
Glad to be here Dina! I was delivering some meat (Also some home-made cheese, fresh milk and some veggies and grapes from my garden) to my aunt in Cairo, now I'm on the bus home.
Most of the time I bake them as well, and they're still awesome, but every now and then I fry them in mutton fat+oil or clarified butter. THEY.. ARE.. GLORIOUS..
@Regen: oh, I got my cows for that. I've corrupted them though, they have a real sweet tooth now. Though they still have preferences. Eleanor is the only one who eats APPLES. Elayne and Elena love mulberries. And all of them are in love with Watermelons and cantaloupes.
Ah.. Bathroom Blues.. I get them whenever my sister in law cooks. :D
I'm slow cooking these apples with some cinnamon. And straining them manually.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: July 13, 2022, 10:06:44 PM »
I love the names of your cows  :)
And I am sure your aunt is very pleased.

Yes, many people here (especially in restaurants) fried them in fat (I am not sure if it comes from cow or pig, I think both of them are sold in normal stores).

It was a nice sunny day, so going to the university was not bad, but tomorrow I got to stay at home *does happy dance*
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 14, 2022, 06:10:33 PM »
Heh, enjoy your day at home.
Elena is pregnant (hopefully) if it's a female, she's going to be Elen :D

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 15, 2022, 10:44:36 PM »
@Fcrate.
I noticed, that all the cows have names starting with "El". Is this on purpose, does it have meaning or is it totally coincidental?
Might I suggest Elsa? Or Elvira?  :)

Elsa for me is totally a cow's name. I remember in almost every cowshed I've been in, there was a cow Elsa, lol.

Also there is a sketch by a famous German comedian about the cow Elsa:

There is a butler calling his boss at work to tell him about the death of the cow Elsa. The boss is pretty pissed about him calling because of such an unimportant occurrence. He has hundreds of cows, why should he care about one dead one. But after some consideration he asks how the cow died.
The butler says: Because the roof of the shed fell on her head. Apparently the walls of the shed were no longer able to support the roof at a certain point of the building burning. And the roof was too heavy for the cow, so she died when it fell on her head.
Boss:  :o why did the shed burn?
Butler: because of the flying sparkles.
Boss: ?????
Butler: from the burning mansion.
Boss: What??? Why did the mansion burn?
Butler: Because your son fell down the stairs while carrying the lit candles and he broke both his arms. That was bad luck for the cow Elsa.

Now it is getting a bit dark humoured ;) Just to warn you, but it was funny the way they played it.

Boss: Why did he carry burning candles?
Butler: We wanted to make it nice for your wife, for the funeral.

I always have to think about this when I hear the name Elsa.
Definitely a cow's name for me.  ;D

LOL I remember another detail: the boss doesn't know which of his cows Elsa was, so the butler describes her, because in his eyes she was special. The brown one, the one who always kicked the milk bucket after milking so that all the milk spilled. ;D

« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:01:55 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 15, 2022, 11:03:48 PM »
Haha, that was a funny sketch :D
Well, 11 years ago I was reading The Wheel of Time when my first cow gave birth (brown and white Holstein), so I named the calf after Elayne, the princess of Andor. 4 years later, Elayne gave birth to her first female (Black and white Holstein) while I was reading about Eleanor of Aquitaine. After that coincidence, I decided to name every first born female of the line with something that has E, L, N. So it's Elena Daughter of Eleanor, daughter of Elayne, first of her name. :D
Elena's firstborn female will be Elen. I haven't decided about Ellen's firstborn, but I still have 3-5 years to figure it out. Heidi will give birth in 4 months though. I'll consider Elvira. Elsa only reminds me of Frozen.
Edit : your sketch reminded me of a joke, where a man was telling his friend that his mother in law had died. The friend says : my condolences man. How did she die?
Man : she fell from the balcony.
Friend : damn, tough go, she must have broken all her Bones.
man: well, she fell into the swimming pool.
friend: so she drowned?
man: no, there was a naked wire in the pool.
friend: she got electrocuted! how awful.
man: well, there was a storm and the power was out.. Also the life guard saved her.
Friend : So how the hell did she die then?
man: I gave up the fancy solutions and just stabbed the bitch.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:15:23 PM by Fcrate »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 16, 2022, 12:17:55 AM »
LOL Fcrate! I have not heard that joke before  :). I had heard the funny sketch Regen told us, with some variations. None of the versions I heard have a cow named Elsa. In fact, I believe in all cases the casualty that is reported to the owner is a horse. In some versions, the owner reacts as Regen said, angry because he has many horses and a dead one is not a terribly rare occurrence. But in the most common version I hear, the owner saddens because he liked that horse. Only, of course, then things went worse  :)

I had thought that the E names were some tradition, like when pedigree dogs each time the female gives birth the puppies are named with the same letter (normally, the first time they gave birth, the names begin with A, the second time with B and so on). I had a Collie whose formal name was Chrysler. We called him Sinhue though.

I suggest "Elina" but if you get more permissive about the name, not making the N a requisite, I would go with Elise or Elisa  :)
Missing you, Md