Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240273 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1545 on: June 13, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
I have the theory that everyone needs a massage by default, at any given time  :)

I am so glad you are enjoying yourself! Now, have fun, your plans for the day are awesome  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: June 13, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »
True :D though the current government resembles an unsuccessful Uncle Scrooge.
I mean compare that with Dubai, they only have shopping malls. And more shopping malls. And even more shopping malls.  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 13, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »
I mean compare that with Dubai, they only have shopping malls. And more shopping malls. And even more shopping malls.  :)
True, they don't need to actually produce things to have money to spend. Lol
Oh, but you definitely invited us to come by explaining the geographical specialties of your lovely country and it's inhabitants' weather induced daily live style. It is as important to know those as it is to know where to get the best food and drink.  ;)

I just came back from my first massage. One of the staff of the hamam told us, we were in need of a massage, and who am I to argue with that? The man was right. We decided to do it as a gift for our wedding anniversary, which is the day after tomorrow.
You should've been a lawyer. You're wasted in that lab. :D
Glad you're having fun. But the way you described your experience in the hammam reminds me of a piece of satirical prose in Arabic literature, dating back to the 10th century,  about an Persian guy who visited Baghdad for the first time, and tried the hammams (height of civilization) for the first time to groom himself, only to be fought over by two attendants, each wanting the customer themselves. And left, naked, head slathered in mud while they had themselves a fist fight, all the way to a judge and trial.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 03:02:06 PM by Fcrate »
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 13, 2022, 03:33:44 PM »
LOL.
I am glad I only chose the massage. There was no mud or anything. Just oil. I didn't do the whole program. All this heat and sweating stuff is not my thing.  ;)

To be honest, I would be an awful lawyer, lol. I let myself be convinced to easily and after time to think about what has been said, I am mad at myself for agreeing in the first place.
Or you can order me to do stuff and unless it isn't against my rules, I just do it. It took me a long time to be able to say no in the first place, especially if the one asking is doing it nice and polite.
Like smiling "hey, how about you make us some coffee, please?."
Now I am able to say: " yeah that would be nice, thank you for doing it." (to the colleague sitting right next to the coffee machine taking a break while I am still working.)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 14, 2022, 02:43:30 AM »
I think that is quite common a problem. I think I got better with age too.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: June 17, 2022, 09:04:37 PM »
Well, when we were kids, it was expected that the youngest do the menial chores, and each of us had their turn (I'm the youngest). Like grocery shopping, vacuuming and stuff. My only sister (the eldest) did the cooking when my mother was occupied, and we did the support work (chopping vegetables, peeling, washing, making salad, etc) and it wasn't a problem. We're 4 brothers and a sister, so there was enough of us. Early morning tea was made by whoever woke up first, but anything that's not regular, you're supposed to do it yourself (or wheedle someone into doing it for you). Extra coffee, tea, juice, snacks and the like. It's not a problem for any of us to make coffee for the others, but with strangers, if someone asks me to make tea, or grab him something I just say: Your legs work. Save the favors for when you're crippled. Never had a problem saying no. It's probably because we were raised to do everything for ourselves, and it always surprises me when others won't do the same.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 17, 2022, 11:46:33 PM »
At work, we more or less alternate, is not really a problem. I am guilty of asking someone to do coffee for us, but only when I was doing something more urgent and the other person has some free time, and I always offer to make coffee when I am the one that is free. I also have no problem serving coffee to everyone, no matter if it is my boss or the youngest recent graduate but it is something I offer, they do not ask me for it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: June 18, 2022, 06:29:05 AM »
but it is something I offer, they do not ask me for it.
Exactly. You're the one who's offering. Big difference :) Problem is, if you offer too often, almost everyone, even the most well-intentioned of people will take advantage of you to some degree or another.
Internal monologue will be like: "Oh, I'd like some coffee, but wait a few minutes, Dina will probably make some in a few minutes, and she'll offer to make me a cup."

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 18, 2022, 08:37:31 AM »
Exactly. You're the one who's offering. Big difference :) Problem is, if you offer too often, almost everyone, even the most well-intentioned of people will take advantage of you to some degree or another.
Internal monologue will be like: "Oh, I'd like some coffee, but wait a few minutes, Dina will probably make some in a few minutes, and she'll offer to make me a cup."
Yes,  that's it. People taking advantage if your kindness. And there are some, who try to go further and ask you to do it.
The woman I was talking about, does that often. Not only to me, but in lots of situations. If someone offers to do something she almost always asks for more.
But there are many others, too, who return favours.
Once I asked her, why she doesn't make the coffee herself, because if I don't do it, there simply is no coffee.***shrugs***
She answered that my coffee is one of the best ;) and she doesn't like the coffee she is making herself.
LOL. Somehow I like her, she always says exactly what she thinks. Sometimes it can hurt, but one always knows, she is telling the truth. And most important: she doesn't mind if you say no or talk back. So I'm not mad at her or something. She's not one of the assholes, just knows what she wants and is not shy to ask for it.
There are others, who do it on purpose to take advantage of others.

I always try to treat others exactly like I want to be treated myself, no matter who or what they are, or if I like them or not.
But if someone pisses me off at work for example, I don't do things to them on purpose, but I start to do only what I must and no more extra stuff

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 18, 2022, 09:45:46 AM »
That may be true, but my coworkers are good people and they often do that themselves. Even my boss sometimes offers and make it himself. So it is really not a problem. Also, one of my coworkers makes it too strong, so sometimes I offer myself before she does, because I like mine better. :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 18, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »
Hmm.. "she doesn't like the coffee that she makes herself".... Now where have I heard that before?
Oh yes, when I was a kid and one of my older siblings tried to get me to make them tea.
Also later here at the farm, I used to say it to one of my coworkers :D at the time I was convinced of it. The years later made me realize that someone else making the tea makes it better only because I was lazy. Lol
@Dina: your situation sounds perfect. It is rare with people who aren't family though. You are very lucky :)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 18, 2022, 09:23:20 PM »
We are lucky yes. It took us many years but we got a nice balance with the coffee (it also works with water for tea or something, but most of the time is coffee.)
Besides, I learnt to make coffee at work, because in my childhood home we took instant coffee (and tea and mate drink and other things. Mate drink is super common in Argentina) and since I am wirh hubby, he makes coffee. I mean, he taught me how to do it, but in practice I rarely do it, I only learnt to do a good coffee at my work. A coworker taught me. Funny enough, she knows only takes coffee very early and then it is only tea.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 19, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »
Or people will start to follow the good example and start offering it too. You will earn a lot about other people that way.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 19, 2022, 01:44:36 PM »
34°C, not much else to say. We are staying inside so far. We managed to keep the house at cool 27 degrees by leaving the windows and the shutters closed. But it feels, there will be a thunderstorm soon. According to weather.com it will arrive around Wednesday, but until then the temperature will drop to 25°C.
I managed to crawl to the supermarket and back yesterday to buy some ice cream, LOL.
On Monday or Tuesday I plan to shorten the grass in the garden. It is too high for the lawn mower, so I'll have to use the scythe, but not in this heat.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: June 19, 2022, 05:51:17 PM »
Or people will start to follow the good example and start offering it too. You will earn a lot about other people that way.
I hate you optimistic types...
@Regen: Or do it like an Egyptian before sunrise :D
I'm also quite surprised that:
 1. You know how to use a scythe.
 2. That you actually own one :D