Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244769 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1530 on: June 11, 2022, 06:15:18 AM »
How nice! Enjoy yourself!

Yes. I lived throught 44 C and it is not an experience I want to repeat, thank you very much.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 11, 2022, 06:23:03 AM »
How nice! Enjoy yourself!
Thank you. We will do so. What is nice is that the temperature stays the same for a quite long period of time. At home we have fluctuations of 10-15 °C, sometimes from day to day or week to week. One can't get used to a certain temperature and this is what makes me dizzy. So I am enjoying the constant temperature, too.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 11, 2022, 07:59:44 AM »
Yes, I totally get it. Days with large temperature range are very difficult for the body. And you never know what to wear  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 12, 2022, 03:08:25 AM »
@Regen:You should've spent your vacation here. Had 4 days of temperature of 40-44.very stable. My brain feels like a brecht egg.
I had to spray the animals with water twice a day to cool them off. Three times yesterday (11:00, 12:30 and 2:00) but otherwise I finished everything before the temp reached 38.
Anyway, heatwave is over. Today is 33°C. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 12, 2022, 03:37:07 AM »
Oh good, it is finally cold!  :o
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 12, 2022, 05:31:56 AM »
Where I live three days above 30 Celsius is a heat wave. Officially.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 12, 2022, 07:53:22 AM »
@Regen:You should've spent your vacation here. Had 4 days of temperature of 40-44.very stable. My brain feels like a brecht egg.
I had to spray the animals with water twice a day to cool them off. Three times yesterday (11:00, 12:30 and 2:00) but otherwise I finished everything before the temp reached 38.
Anyway, heatwave is over. Today is 33°C. :D
So glad your heat wave is over.
What do people do, when it is that hot? Like you, get up really early, get some work done and then what? Siesta until evening?
And does it cool down at night?

Maybe one day I'll visit in winter, lol.

@Arjan: dito

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 12, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »
Oh good, it is finally cold!  :o
It's really quite pleasant today. In my area, summer temp is 35-39. Only above 40 degrees is noteworthy.
Where I live three days above 30 Celsius is a heat wave. Officially.
hah. My Dutch friends told me about a heatwave of 37 degrees maybe 8 years ago, they were dying.
So glad your heat wave is over.
What do people do, when it is that hot? Like you, get up really early, get some work done and then what? Siesta until evening?
And does it cool down at night?

Maybe one day I'll visit in winter, lol.

@Arjan: dito
Well, if you work outside like I do, then it's standard procedure from March - September. Work from well before sunrise if possible, get back home at 10,lunch and siesta till 2-3 hours before sundown then finish anything left to do before sun down. If you're farming, irrigation starts at midnight. Which will save water and gas, as well as spare you a heatstroke. If you work indoors, then it's business as usual. In my town, if you walk the street at noon you'll rarely meet another person during a heatwave. And yes, it cools down at night. During the heatwave or was 24-29 at night. Other than that it's maybe 19 degrees.
European tourists here wear t-shirts and shorts in winter, while we wear sweaters and jackets. Lol. It rarely goes below 15°C in winter.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 12, 2022, 02:16:57 PM »
hah. My Dutch friends told me about a heatwave of 37 degrees maybe 8 years ago, they were dying.
Yes, horribly.

Also for a European like me going to Egypt in summer would be  suicide by climate. I have been a week in Dubai for work in December and it was like going from the airco in the hotel to the airco in the car to the airco at work.  The heat was murderous but we did swim a bit in the evening after work.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 02:55:14 PM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 12, 2022, 08:11:17 PM »
Yes, I do not think going to Egypt in Summer is a good plan, but i would love to go there in Winter.

I went to Mexico, in the South, for 3 months (this was years ago). When "Winter was coming" there were warnings about taking care of yourself, and cold or flu medicines. People were beginning to wear heavier clothing while I remained in t-shirt (with only a light jacket or long-sleeved t-shirt in the evening. I only wore my true jacket in Mexico city (which was more in the North) and in a short stay I did in another town which was at some height over the sea level (San Cristobal de las Casas. A beautiful, beautiful place).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 12, 2022, 08:27:56 PM »
Um, let's put a lid on this discussion before the government accuses me of scaring potential tourists away and unpatriotism (is that a word?)
P.S. @government agents monitoring my data: I love Egypt, and I was just explaining to these foreigners that vacationing in Egypt in summer means free sauna 24/7.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 12, 2022, 09:10:10 PM »
 :D :D :D
Your country is a hot spot for tourism, so I do not think the government men have anything to worry about.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:47 PM »
They should not worry. You have pyramids and sphinxes and the valley of the kings. People want to see these things.
(click to show/hide)
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 13, 2022, 08:01:15 AM »
True :D though the current government resembles an unsuccessful Uncle Scrooge.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 13, 2022, 08:38:48 AM »
Um, let's put a lid on this discussion before the government accuses me of scaring potential tourists away and unpatriotism (is that a word?)
P.S. @government agents monitoring my data: I love Egypt, and I was just explaining to these foreigners that vacationing in Egypt in summer means free sauna 24/7.
Oh, but you definitely invited us to come by explaining the geographical specialties of your lovely country and it's inhabitants' weather induced daily live style. It is as important to know those as it is to know where to get the best food and drink.  ;)

I just came back from my first massage. One of the staff of the hamam told us, we were in need of a massage, and who am I to argue with that? The man was right. We decided to do it as a gift for our wedding anniversary, which is the day after tomorrow.
Today we plan to go to the archeological museum and to the stalactite cave. And maybe if there is still time, walk around the city a bit.
I definitely plan to come back here one day. Maybe in two years. And the next time we will be able to plan ahead. The hotel is perfect. I feel relaxed for the first time in years.