Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240438 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1500 on: May 09, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »
Okay, I shuddered quite a bit at the thought of eating daisies, until I remembered that Roselle is one of my favorites drinks. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 10, 2022, 11:28:25 PM »
I drank some flower-based drinks and cold teas while I was in México, but I can't say I love them too much. Jasmine tea, chamomile tea are good though. Rose petals tea or something like that are too perfumy to my liking. But I have a Lady Grey (in herbs, not bag) wich had some flowers in it. Violets I believe. I love that tea. So I would say I am a little weird, and it is difficult to predict if I am going to like a tea or not.
Still, I need to try the butter, because even with herbs and garlic are great for butter, I never tried flowers in them.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 11, 2022, 11:42:11 AM »
For tea, I like it Red-Black, unflavored. Or with some mint leaves from my garden.
And I prefer a cheap local brand. I think I got used to the taste of it. Whenever I try any of the high quality stuff, I dislike it.
Which reminds me of a story my father told me once of a crooked honey vendor who used to mix the honey with sugar syrup and sell it, and was quite popular. One day he went on a pilgrimage to Mekka and decided to stop cheating, and started selling pure honey, immediately losing most of his customers who accused him of cheating because they didn't like the taste of real honey. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 11, 2022, 12:49:57 PM »
To be honest, I get it. I do not like real honey too much. I find it too sweet.
Oh, those teas I mentioned are not my favorite, except the Lady Grey. I like plain, common teas, but I also like some more interesting ones, like red fruit flavored, or orange flavored ones. One of my current favorites is one which has lemon, lime, ginger and mint. I also like teas with cinammon.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 11, 2022, 04:39:51 PM »
I like almost every kind of tea. Even the ones with medical herbs like chamomile or yarrow.
Except mint. It's not the taste, I can't describe it, it's more the feeling of cold(?) I get when I swallow it and how it feels in my stomach. Also I get sick, when someone in a bus or so chews peppermint gum. It feels wrong for me to consume it, so I listen to my feeling and don't.
Edit:
But I do love honey. It is fascinating, that there are so many different tastes, depending on the plants the bees have collected from.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 04:43:01 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 11, 2022, 05:58:25 PM »
Mint gum is a completely different flavor. Peppermint or somesuch. I still like it though.
Oh yes. My favorite is Orange fed honey. Clover fed is also nice, but usually much more viscous, so it's difficult to dissolve in a cold juice (Which is my main use for honey).

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 11, 2022, 10:55:51 PM »
I can have a mint tea without any problems, but it is never my first option. I have 2 boxes of different blends because I have a friend who loves mint tea. And those tea...are more than two years old, as my friend has not visited us since before the first lockdown.

I do agree mint tea and mint chewing gum are different flavored. A while ago, topline (chewing gum brand) released chewing gum of 4 different mint flavors, so you could choose. I do not remember all the names, but there was peppermint, spearmint and wintergreen.

I admit honey flavors are very interesting, and some of them I like more than others, but in general I am not a fan of honey, specially if the smell is too like perfume.

Edited: fresh orange juice with a touch of honey and cinammon or nutmeg can be good. Hubby likes it more than me though.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 13, 2022, 08:03:46 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you grew up with. I love my mother's cooking above all else (except for pizza, I make the best pizza in the world :D ) but now that I am older, I can recognize that it's a bit bland, and leans heavily towards healthy on the healthy-delicious quotient.
Now that I said this, isn't it annoying that the most delicious food is the least healthy? I mean, there ARE healthy delicious recipes, but mostly, if it tastes good, it either makes you fat or gives you arteriosclerosis, diabetes, food poisoning, and probably psychosis.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 14, 2022, 11:01:48 AM »
Yes, it is very annoying. And old sentence here says "the best things in life make you fat or are a sin".

Argentinians have very good pizza! We love it, so we have a lot of practice. And we also have good mozzarellas and other cheeses (we are not Italy, but we have good cows, and we don't only use them for barbecues), I made a decent pizza but I know it is not among the best, but professional pizzerias are very good.

On topic, yes, I agree, it depends where you grew up with, but you can also learn. I now enjoy foods that I had never tried as a child, like Mexican or Arabian.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 20, 2022, 08:48:20 PM »
How is everyone doing?
I took the first partial exam (the mid term exam, you would say) to my students yesterday. I was alone for (most) of the 4 hours of the test. Luckily they were only 8 students. The professor was not able to go to the exam as her husband was positive for Covid. And the other TA was sick (he tested negative but perhaps it was too early to test, or it was an influenza, or another thing, we were not sure. He is feeling better today). Also, the professor that gives some lectures in the second part of the term, that many times came to the exams, is in France now. Luckily a friend of mine came to keep an eye on the students while I went to the bathroom and for a coffee. It was coldish in the classroom.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 21, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »
Could've had that coffee in the classroom Dina, sipping and sighing and giving them a smug smile. :D
I'm fine over here, except I was checking out Eleanor's mouth (had an infection a week ago) and she sneezed in my face. :|
Eleanor is a cow by the way.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 21, 2022, 10:16:47 AM »
Ugh, that is disgusting!
I hope Eleanor gets better though,

And oh, my friend only stayed with them a few minutes while I went to the bathroom and to GRAB a coffee. I went back and drank it in the classroom.  I tried not to distract the students though. And definitely not a smug smile.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 21, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »
Hi!
I was busy with work. But now I have the weekend off.
The weather is typical these days: either heat or thunderstorm. I don't feel so well, when it is changing constantly.

Update on my translation reading progress: Dead Beat: no more polite form with Murphy, but I noticed, that it is a different translator.
There was only one major error in the translation:
When Harry tells Billy and Georgia about how he touched Lasciel's coin. He feels guilty (of course, as always), and asks why he did not pick up the child instead of the coin.
But in the translation he asks why he did not LET THE CHILD pick up the coin instead of himself.
I read that and thought it weird. That made me look up the passage in the original.
I do not look up everything, only when I come across weird passages or cool passages, when I am interested in what exactly made the translator phrase it like that.
And yes, I know I'm a nerd, LOL.

@Dina
Do you wear glasses?
It always looks cool, sipping your coffee while looking over the rim of your glasses. Even if you don't see anything like that. LOL

@Fcrate:
 :o
It's disgusting when the cat sneezes in my face, I don't want to imagine it coming from a cow! So much more.....  :o
I had to think of ancient Morla in Never Ending Story.  ;D

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 21, 2022, 06:07:03 PM »
If you're a nerd, Regen, then you're in good company. Reading translated Harry Potter when I was 14/15 is what made me buy my first English novel at the book fair later that year. It was in book 5, and Mundungus was trying to sell some eggs to Fred and George, and they haggled for 10 galleons, while Mundungs wanted 10 galleons, and the twins didn't want to buy them for more than 10. And the shame of it was, this was one of the best translations I ever read. The translator even replaced the Quidditch cheers with local football cheers, slang terms with real Arabic slang. Made the book much cooler than the ones I've read previously, because even at that age, I felt something lacking in their translations.
About the cow, on the bright side, healthy cow's breath smells good. Cat breath can be stinky. I'd say that apart from the free shower, I got the better end of the deal, Regen. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 21, 2022, 10:57:31 PM »
I supposed eating herb beats eating meat in terms of breathing smell  :)

I laughed at your examples. It reminded me a AD&D (rpg) book we had that it was famous for a couple of translation mistakes. For example, a cross-bow is sometimes called an x-bow in English, but in Spanish bow is "arco" but there is no "arco x". The translators of the book left "arco X", just like that. it makes no sense in Spanish and is fun. The other classic example was "the druid cannot turn undead" meaning they cannot use the spell to spook the undeads and made them run from himself. But the Spanish translation said that the druids cannot became undead themselves. Which is fun and make people do campaigns with druid bodies becoming immunes to "raise undead" and things like that.

Another terrible example of translation was a cheap book I had about the science of Star Wars or something like that. This is a little more complicated to understand. The word "light" in English has more than one meaning. It is something like is the opposition of dark, like in the "dual nature of the light, which is both a wave and a particle" but it also means "not heavy". Well, in Spanish those two meanings have two very different words. So imagine my surprise when I heard that Luke rejected Darth Vader and remained in the, let's say, not heavy side of the Force. I could imagine him floating on space  :D :D :D

About weather, we had some very cold days but today was perfectly fine, like if it was end of March instead of May.

I do wear glasses, Regen but almost always I took them off when drinking hot beverages because of the steam. Also...I really do not want my students to feel uncomfortable, I want them to have good memories of our classes.
Missing you, Md