Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240474 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1485 on: April 27, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
@Fcrate, it was a normal session and I had lots of fun. Then I had a couple very busy days because of a deadline we had. Said deadline was Friday but we wanted to do it by Wednesday for reasons long to explain. And then, suddenly...the deadline was postposed (delayed? I do not how to say it. It was moved to a later date). So I have time and I am breathing.
I also had a nice virtual class and had another one tomorrow, that makes me happy. But now I have to go to work and that does not make me happy. Luckily it seems weather is getting better. We had storm yesterday and until the wee hours today.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 02, 2022, 12:58:54 PM »
I enjoyed my two virtual classes last week. Sadly, this week I have all in-person class. Luckily, for several reasons, I could work from home today. That is good, because even when it is quite sunny it is cold, and I like to be warm at home  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 03, 2022, 11:28:26 PM »
If you own a Kindle you should download the sample from Heroic Hearts. International readers may not have the chance.  I don't know.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 04, 2022, 02:02:35 AM »
*Waves*
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 04, 2022, 05:10:46 AM »
If you own a Kindle you should download the sample from Heroic Hearts. International readers may not have the chance.  I don't know.
Works for iPhone/iPad as well. You get the complete story.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 04, 2022, 08:44:04 AM »
Thank you.
Have it. I have actually bought the complete book, because it also contains several other stories I want to read. I've read the Toot story, but I won't join any discussions so far, until I've read it again and my book-nerd-friend and I have collected ideas and questions which I will then throw into the spoiler section, lol.

It is another case with "The Law". As far as I have seen, it will currently be available only on audible.com. As I am a member on audible.de, I don't plan to subscribe there too. But I will think about a solution once it is out in July. I definitely won't pay that much money for a 2½ hours story.
I will have to read the policies and options on audible.com very thoroughly. It is often difficult to understand.

@morriswalters:
Do you by chance have a normal audible membership? If yes, what price do you see for " The Law"?

You can't see the membership price if you are no member. Only that it costs nothing if you get whatsitcalled premium plus membership. But from what I have understood, if you cancel this membership, you won't have access to the audiobooks any more, except those you have paid for.
At audible.de you pay for the membership and get one credid per month for one audio book and every other audio book you buy, costs €9,95, except of course those who cost less. And you can cancel any time to the end of the month, which I have done several times already. So far I understand, that seems similar to audible.com, though I think it is about 8$ monthly. The first month free? And whatever you have bought there, be it on monthly credit or else, belongs to you even if you cancel your membership.

But "The Law" is $0,00 if you subscribe to whatsit premium. Sounds nice at first, but there must be a catch, and I haven't found it yet, except if it is the policy that you can't keep books you've purchased that way. The first month is for free, after that you have to pay about $15 per month, which is too much, especially if it is true, that you can't keep all the books.

Edit: I see a nonmembership price of $31,23
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:16:54 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 04, 2022, 12:36:53 PM »
I see it for 20.99 US. Why the disparity?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 04, 2022, 01:30:42 PM »
I see it for 20.99 US. Why the disparity?

Thank you.
Could be, because you are a member or because I am not from the US.
But I think, it's the member thing. I've seen that on audible, when I have cancelled my membership. It changed once I signed in again.
But $20,99 is too much, too.

The same with amazon prime: I have it, my mom doesn't. She pays more. OK, but I pay monthly, so it's OK. She doesn't see the prime prices, I don't see the normal prices.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:32:44 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 06, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »
Hello!!!!!
I hope I can type now without being constantly interrupted ;). It is sometimes difficult to switch brains while typing to understanding the question, answering and continuing to type in another language. That's the reason I mostly just read, LOL. Once my 11 year old asked something and I answered in English. Oops. I told her it was to test if she understood. She said no and it wasn't funny.

News: my parents have covid. My mom is already tested negative again and is well, but my dad is still in quarantine. So far they are quite well. I am so relieved, because my dad has cancer and has had radiation treatment recently, which left him weak and tired. But apart from a bit of coughing, a running nose and more tiredness he is OK.

Today I visited my mom outside for help with the computer and for plucking daisies. I saw him too, but he had to stay inside. Nevertheless we managed to talk a bit out the terrace door.

I needed the daisies to make daisy-butter for our barbecue tomorrow. And for some weird reasons there are almost no daisies in our garden this year, but my parents have plenty.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 08, 2022, 02:19:30 AM »
I hope both parents are completely healthy soon. Regen.
And...daisies butter? Explain please.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 08, 2022, 06:28:56 AM »
Thank you, Dina.
Bellis perennis (daisy): I use them as herbs or for tea (they are supposed to be healthy).
We always make butter mixed with herbs and garlic for barbecue. I put in daisies. Not really for the taste but for the look.
My daughter had to do a presentation about daisies a few years ago. And I said, she should take something with her, like for example daisy butter to put on bread for the class, so they can see you can really eat them.
We always secretly ate daisies or other flowers as kids, but to know they have always been actually edible (which I knew as a kid, because I did not feel sick or so, lol), gave me joy and so I sometimes put them in the butter.
There is almost forgotten knowledge there and I intended to bring it in the open again. For example the medical use of daisies.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 08, 2022, 07:48:13 AM »
!!!!! Double post !!!!

We decided to postpone the barbecue, because yesterday it's been raining the whole day. Instead we do it today. It's mothers' day and my mother is well again. So she didn't say no to barbecue at noon. Later there will be cake and coffee.
My dad will stay at home enjoy the quiet (LOL) and sleep a lot.
We will have some leftover for him.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 08, 2022, 07:30:47 PM »
Happy mothers' day!!! (for you and your mom)  :) :) :)
I hope bbq was amazing
Here Mother's day is the third Sunday of October.

I did not know daisies were edible but I should not be surprised, I know many Asteraceae are. I remember eat some of them as a child while playing the "love me-love me not" thing but I mostly just nibble a little, because I thought I was going to be sick. That aside, I would have never thought in adding it to a butter. Did you use the petals, the leaves?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 08, 2022, 07:46:16 PM »
I used the petals, the flower part. The white and the yellow. And I cut them in small pieces. The stems annoy me in the butter ;). But the whole flower is edible, even the roots, I've read.
Some part, I think the stems, but I'm not sure, is supposed to be good as tea, when you have oedema.
But I think you have to drink several cups of tea a day to see an effect.
I also collect stinging nettle leaves for that purpose.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 08, 2022, 07:56:42 PM »
Yes, stinging nettle tea is moderately common here. Thanks for the tip about the butter, I may try it one day. Sounds fun
Chamomile tea is of course very common, and we had lots of those flowers here. That is why I said I should not be surprised about eating daisies, but the thing is I had never heard of a daisy tea before. And much less daisy butter. I may try a chamomile butter one day too, for curiosity.
Missing you, Md