Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 246820 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1425 on: February 09, 2022, 10:46:13 AM »
 :)
I imagine the post-mortem.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 15, 2022, 12:16:01 AM »
Hi !
How are you all?

Who at Lysol counts all the germs to make sure that 999 out of every thousand is really dead?
LOL I imagine some poor person sitting at the microscope for days and counting each death.
You know, that it is possible to sleep while resting your eyes or better say upper part of your cheekbones on the microscope. Looks like you work, if no one watches too closely...
I did that during my apprenticeship at a boring job. OK, the job itself wasn't boring, but all I did the whole day was looking at cells in the microscope. Nothing else. There wasn't even a radio. And the two persons in the room with me didn't talk the whole day. It was a peaceful silence, so that was OK. After the first day I thought of it as meditative, but it made me tired. I liked the two zen microscopists  ;) and they were nice to me, but I knew then, that I would not want to work there when I was finished. Sitting in a small silent room with the same person every day for years. They never left the room, not even for lunch. They were there, when I came in the morning and they were still there when I left in the afternoon.
Sometimes I imagine their ghosts still sitting there bent over their microscopes.
Those were people I could imagine counting dead germs, lol.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 15, 2022, 12:28:22 AM »
That made me laugh!
I have spent many hours on a microscope myself, but generally not a lot the same day. Spending too much time just watching at the microscope made me dizzy and then I could not focus my eyesight in anything. So, I took breaks. Also, in general I use microscope a few months every year, not the full year.
I normally use binocular lenses to measure parts of flies (like wings and things like that) and I can't believe I have not done it in more than 2 years.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 15, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »
Yes, it's tiring, that's why I slept  8). I couldn't imagine doing only that and nothing else.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 15, 2022, 01:08:20 AM »
Oh yes, I would fall asleep too.
i don't worry too much about silence or even being alone, but my eyes definitely like to rest.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 17, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »
Who at Lysol counts all the germs to make sure that 999 out of every thousand is really dead?
Dettol solved that problem in the arabic ad a few years ago, they just said "Dettol, eliminates 99 types of germs".
Which is absolutely genius and liability free marketing. I mean, very, very few people noticed that it's just 99. Most people mentally added the 'percent'. And you'd probably eliminate 99 types of germs if you wash your hands with just water, so that's cool. lol
How is everyone doing? Dina, how is your hubby? Regen: Is your leg still bothering you?
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 17, 2022, 10:00:58 PM »
99 types of germs? Really?  ;D

My hubby is more or less the same, which at this point is good. I do not expect an overnight change, so it's fine.

I do not remember if I tell you but the week he was in the hospital I broke my laptop (It was the first nights, when I was not allowed to stay with him, so I went home. And I was carrying a lot of things with me and it was difficult to move. In once clumsy maneuver when trying to open the door of the building, I dropped my bag with the laptop and other thins from a short height. Well, it was bad, mainly in the joints between the screen part and the keyboard one. Well, the computer basically worked but it was very difficult to close and open. Of course, I did back up of the most important things. Then I tried to open and close it the less possible, and when we finally were back home I left it open and made a more general backup.  Meanwhile we conditioned an old laptop that hubby is not using anymore. And well, now I am using it. It is fine but the keyboard is different from mine, so I make mistakes all the time. it is also more difficult to write in my language, as this computer has the English keyboard, so you don't have the key for the thingy over the vocals (á, é, í...). It also has the ' in another position...it is annoying but I will survive  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 17, 2022, 11:31:21 PM »
!!!!!!!!!Fcrate!!!!!!!!!!  :)
The leg is a bit better. I can walk OK again.
99 types of germs. LOL
Must be more fun than counting. I can't help but imagine an Arnold Schwarzenegger type guy in scrubs sitting at the microscope pouring the stuff on poor germs and saying:
Type #1: terminated
Type #2: terminated
Type #100: not terminated
Type #101: not terminated
Terminating germs is one of my mission parameters. Germs come with me, if you want to die.

@ Dina:
I understand the problem with the English keyboard. Some of ours at work are the same. If I want to write something with ä, ö, ü or ß, I have a problem.
THINGIE OVER THE VOCAL!!!!!  ;D
Also some of the other thingies like = or @ are at another place and I have to search for them, which is annoying, because all I want ist to quickly write a short comment for the doctors. And sometimes I forget which ones are the English ones and I type without looking and the result is some gibberish.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 18, 2022, 08:44:43 PM »
 ;D I have not idea how the ´over á,é etc is called in English. In Spanish it is called "tilde" or "acento ortográfico." The latter translates as "orthographic stress" (stress in the sense of emphases, not angst or trauma) or "orthographic accent". Sometimes it is also called "acento diacrítico", which is a little fancy for me.

I loved the bactericide Terminator !!  :D

Today hubby went to cardiologist (well, I went with him, so we went to the cardiologist, I guess). He ordered him some tests but nothing new for now. He measured his arterial tension and it was ok.  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 19, 2022, 12:39:44 AM »
I'm not sure either. In French they are called accents.
There are several types:
accent aigu (é)
accent grave (à, è, ù)
accent circonflexe (â, ê, î, ô, û)
You pronounce it differently depending upon which one is used.
In German there are no accents (I just call them that), but we have dots on a, o and u.

That's a bit of good news about your hubby, Dina.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 19, 2022, 09:13:49 AM »
Yes, I am familiar with French  :). It is actually the second language I learnt and I loved it. I use to say English is my third language, but nowadays I speak/write English much, much better than French. Lack of use  :'(  Still, I do not like English.

I do not know German, by dots about the a,o, u you mean ä, ö, ü? If so, both French and Spanish had it.  In Spanish, this ¨ is called "Diéresis", and it is used for the same reason than in French, to indicate a letter that would normally be silent is pronounced. A common example in French is naïf. Without the ¨it would be pronounced something like "nev", but with it, is something line naee (trying to guess how to write the sound in English, as I do not know phonetics). In Spanish, a classical example if the little umbrella I told you about once before, "paragüita", wich is pronounced something like "paragwita" instead of "paragita".

Did I ever tell you I went to a kindergarten from a German school, so even when classes were in Spanish we learnt a few word in German. Orally, I mean. When I saw them written I was shocked. The spelling was so different to the one I had imagined! It was my first time realizing that about languages, and I was very sad. Same thing happened with French, English and, to a certain degree, to Latin. I was happy when I learnt Japanese (which I only know a few words of, from animé) is basically pronounced like Spanish  :)

And oh yes, good news  :).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 21, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »
The Bacterinator III, Infection Day :D good one Regen.

@Dina: did you get an external keyboard?
Here a repair shop might find you a new chassis for your laptop.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 21, 2022, 06:59:25 PM »
Hi! I may check on that. I have a friend who does some laptop repairings, I am going to see if he can do something, but first, I want to be sure I have all what I need.

I did not understand the question about the external keyboard. I mean, I know what an external keyboard is, but I did not understand the question, is for the laptop that I dropped or for the "new" one with the anglosaxon keyboard?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 21, 2022, 07:52:07 PM »
I meant for the new one. If you use your laptop at a desk or a table, you could just get a normal PC keyboard for it in a layout that's comfortable for you. Or just give it a few weeks and you'll get used to the new layout. :D

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 21, 2022, 09:00:24 PM »
*Waves*
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?