Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244960 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1410 on: January 18, 2022, 08:04:34 PM »
I get it, Fcrate. Don't worry  :D
In my lifetime, electricity supply has improved a lot, but still oftentimes the use of electricity is just too much for our system.
Anyways, we are back home (since yesterday). Also, the heat wave is over. it is still raining (there were some short storms but most of the time it was a light rain) and the temperature dropped (we have 24°C now).
In more serious news, we are having around 100k of new covid cases every day  :'(. Thank God, most of it are not serious.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 18, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »
Ah, in the middle of summer we never get less than 30°c where I live. Up in Alexandria where I grew up is much cooler.
I don't really know covid stats here, I don't trust the government issued ones. I'm not vaccinated yet. It's a bit of a hassle for me. I have to sign up for it, get an appointment, then take a 30 minute trip to the hospital, fill in a form (accepting risks and what not) then wait a few hours for my turn. It's the waiting that bothers me, so I'm ignoring it until most of my area is vaccinated. I already had covid once, so I'm not too worried.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 18, 2022, 08:38:49 PM »
Oh. Our appointments are good, I mean, we do not have to wait long. For once, it was really well organized. Most people has the two applications already. I am going to get the 6-month reinforcement soon, I believe.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 03, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
Is everybody all right?
I miss you, people!
Things are well here. Hubby is getting better, I am beginning to prepare the classes that will begin by the end of March (but need adapting after the virtuality) and I've got my reinforcement dose of the vaccination.
And it is hot and rainy right now  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 03, 2022, 11:50:47 AM »
We all three tested positive for Corona. We had our vaccinations six months ago but no booster yet. Not very ill, just a bit unwell. We hope it will be over next week.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 03, 2022, 10:26:49 PM »
Oh Arjan, I am glad you are not seriously ill but I hope you three get completely well very soon.
The booster actually gave me a headache that was not too strong but persisted until I took paracetamol, and then after a while it went back and I had to took another pill. Besides, the spot in my arm where I received the booster produced a pink eczema and even when it is not swollen anymore it still looks red. It is not a small dot, it is a "circle" quite large.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 03, 2022, 11:34:47 PM »
Arjan, I hope you and your family are going to be well soon.

Dina, that's great news about your hubby. All the best health wishes to him.

News about myself: the pain in my feet is worse again. If I want to walk and do some work I have to take painkillers. Sometimes it is better. I hope soon. But it is never gone since about 10 years. Usually I the pain and I get along OK, as I have learned to accept that it belongs to me, but these days I am fighting a depression on top of it. It's been there for weeks but I only recognised it a few days ago.
Tomorrow I will create and play some music, this always helps me in such phases.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 04, 2022, 06:35:48 AM »
Oh Regen, I am sorry to hear that. What is the problem with your feet (if you want to share, of course). Whatever the case, I hope you feel better soon.

You are very brave talking about your mental health and your ways to cope. For the little I know about you, you love music, so I understand how that helps.
Let see, I am going to put a few things here to distract yourself.

1) Do you know I do RPG? I think I mentioned it before, but just in case, I have been doing that for decades. Here are two iron dice we have. Aren't they great?
I love RPG dice. Between hubby and I we have many. The weirdest probably are ones a friend bought for us in Germany. I do not have pictures of my own but they are something like this:

Finally, just because I miss being there, here you have a picture of the Agua Azul cascade in Mexico, near Palenque. I've been there once in a tour, in 2012. The picture is mine. The place is beautiful.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 04, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
Oh, Dina, the place is beautiful indeed! Thank you for the picture. I love those places that can make you feel small and I can imagine this is such a place.

The dice are pretty cool. I don't play but I like dice.

As to my health: there is no final diagnosis yet, and I don't want to spend my time at the doctors' any more. I know it is not rheumatism and it is not multiple sclerosis. I won't die because of it and that's what is important for me, so I decided I don't need a name. As long as I find ways to live with it, because it won't go away, but getting worse with the years. It's a kind of inflammation of muscles and tendons, sometimes joints. In the feet it is worse because you use them the most. Usually I can manage the stiffness of the tendons, if I give my feet a massage before getting up when I have been sleeping or sitting somewhere for more than 10 minutes. But the most pain in my left foot comes from the heel spur, that I have noticed a few years ago, which rubs the tendon down there and causes it to become inflamed. The last one can get better, when I loose weight, so I'm doing this, but in the last months I have gained weight instead, because I was stressed at work and like many overweight people I compensate by eating more when being stressed or sad or depressed...
So for me I can convince myself better to start a diet, because I know it will make me walk with less pain.
So nothing serious, I know how to live with it, there are worse diseases.
That's why I once wrote, I go walking fast, not running or jogging, because I'm literally not able to do that. OK,  I could, but it would mean, that I would have to spend the next two days in bed, lol.

Edit: and there was that car accident that hit my leg, but I feel that only when I'm doing a lot of sports, which I don't any more because of the rest.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:18:21 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 04, 2022, 09:08:00 AM »
I totally get it and I will refrain to give advice or something. I am really fat and hubby much more, so I totally understand the problem of gaining weight when stressed, for instance.
The good thing I will say is that for what you told us I imagine you have beautiful places around, and that is very important. You can enjoy the view while your walk! That is great, and you can even do the walk listening to the music if you want to. I know it is probably too cold right now, but it will be better soon.
Meanwhile, take care of yourself any way you can and enjoy warm tea and other beverages  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 04, 2022, 10:46:01 AM »
Thank you for "listening" and understanding. And yes, I will do so.

Change of topic:
My kindle has said goodbye. I have tried every method I could find online to try to restart it, but there was no success. But I found an option on amazon, with which I could get 20% on a new one and 5€ for the old one, when I send it back. I did that. The new one arrived yesterday. Now I could start reading Wheel of Time, which I tried when the old one refused to start two weeks ago.
In the meanwhile, I started listening to "Die Mächte des Feuers" by Markus Heitz (translated it would mean "the powers of the fire"), the German author I wrote about a few months ago, if you remember. This is a trilogy or let's say there are 3 books, the story could be continued some time. It's about an AU in 1925 where dragons exist and practically rule the world from the shadows, but only few people know. The main character is a female pilot, who is descendent from the line of Saint George. Those descendants and others are members in some kind of religious combat order that fights dragons.
I imagine, what's fun about writing an AU is that as an author you don't have to do it historically correct. Some persons are, but there was one time I got confused, before I remembered, it was not our historical reality, when he had a British man drinking and saying "God save the Queen". At first I thought it wasn't on purpose, because very few people would actually remember anyone saying " God save the King", but in 1925 the king would have been George V. But then I realised, it was on purpose. There is an AU Queen Victoria II !
The dragon books are not the best I've ever read, but I like the idea. Sometimes they are fun to read, when it is the POV of a dragon.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 04, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »
That sounds indeed fun. And yes, AU are so mind-blowing sometimes.
You reminded me a while ago when watching Murdoch Mysteries (a TV show set on Toronto around the end of the 19 century and the begining of 20. They had the death of Queen Victoria, so "God save the king" began being used and it was so weird for me. I mean, I rationally know it, but with so many things happening under Victoria or Elizabeth II, I am pretty unused to watch something with the "God save the king" line. But of course, the two wars were like that. Only I have not read/watch to much of the wars, as they depressed me. Of course, the occasional Doctor Who episode or something like that. But not much more. Oh, and things about the Enigma, which was always interesting.
Missing you, Md 

Offline RSL

• Participant
  • I ink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 09, 2022, 10:05:44 AM »
Who at Lysol counts all the germs to make sure that 999 out of every thousand is really dead?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

suus 'semper aliquid

Dance With The Universe, md.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 09, 2022, 10:23:48 AM »
Ah, I love those questions  ;)
(I won't touch the real explanation because it is boring)
How are you, RSL? I missed you! (((((RSL))))

I forgot to make a thread for your birthday, sorry (in my defense, hubby was in the hospital and I was staying with him. I was too tired to think properly.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:25:40 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

Offline RSL

• Participant
  • I ink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 09, 2022, 10:41:35 AM »
no biggie  :) ... oh, and oh yeah ... is there a germ Coroner who makes sure it was really the Lysol that killed them? What if 998 of them died of natural causes?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

suus 'semper aliquid

Dance With The Universe, md.