Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240440 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1290 on: September 20, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
Maen!
How is everyone?

School has started last week. So far everyone is content. No quarantine yet.
Work is OK so far. But I'm tired. Should probably sleep more.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 20, 2021, 06:20:56 PM »
Hello Regen!
I am doing well, thank you. Got a Zoom reunion in a short while, so I can't stay, but I wanted to say hello. Glad to hear that no quarantine so far. In my country cases are finally dropping, so I am feeling optimistic  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 20, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »
Sounds good. Have fun!
We've been rewatching the first season of Angel lately. Funny. In the first episodes Angel is a PI in a black coat working with a blonde police woman. LOL 8) I had forgotten about her.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 21, 2021, 03:59:39 PM »
Hi!
I've never seen the first seasons of Angel, but I watched after Spike joined in. Still, I don't remember much of it. I only watched the last seasons of Buffy too. I did not care too much for vampires. I still don't, even when I like Thomas and Lara  ;D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 21, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »
Oh, I watched every episode of both. I even bought the Buffy DVD Box. And all the Angel DVDs.
I actually watched the Buffy movie from the late 1980s or so first, and was very disappointed by the vampires in the series. I thought they looked and behaved ridiculously. But after a few years I started somewhere in the middle and gradually watched everything.
Several times.  ;D
I'm a huge fan. My favourite characters are Spike and Anyanka. Oh, and Harmony as a vampire, hilarious! LOL

Edit: I love vampires!!!! ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 22, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
I watched the Buffy movie too! Actually, that was one of my reasons not to watch the show. I watched the first episodes and, as they were not like the movie, I felt disappointed. When I began dating my current partner, he had watched Buffy, so I watched the final seasons (2 seasons, I believe) and the Angel (post-Spike), so we could talk about that.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 24, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
Maen all! I hope you're doing well.
I actually dislike most vampire-based books. Sometimes a movie about vampires is good, sometimes it's silly fun (From Dusk Till Dawn). But I prefer them as secondary characters that get destroyed on every turn, like in DF.
Okay, I took down a duck and a chicken about 4 days ago, and I haven't seen other birds since then. I'll have to replant my greens, but it's too late now to plant corn again. So no roast corn this year. Sigh.
My puppy is growing up and flexing her muscles now. She started standing up to the cat, and most of the times it's a standoff. The cat wins if she's defending her kits, the puppy wins if she's defending her dinner :D She also enjoys chasing the kittens around, always starts pawing them to get them to escape, then chasing them afterwards. I have a hilarious video of the smallest and weakest kitten standing perfectly still while the puppy is pawing, licking, and nipping it to get it to run, but to no avail. The kitten surrendered completely, and eventually the puppy got bored and left it alone. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 26, 2021, 06:58:05 AM »
Aww, that must be a cute video. I am happy to hear the puppy is doing fine.
And well, at least you are not seeing more birds now, and will be able to get your greens. Sorry about the corn though. By the way, I love roast corn too. Corn, in general, is something we Argentinians like a lot, but it is nothing like México. Years ago, I was 3 months or so in México  and corn was ubiquitous. Of course, it makes sense. Corn originate there. Like chocolate. They have a lot of varieties and ways to cook them, besides nachos and tortillas  :D
Today has been a nice night, my football team won again (sadly this year we are not competing for any cup but the national league, so we will see how that goes).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 26, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
Cute puppy, Fcrate.
I like corn, too.
Today was election day. This was the first time I wasn't sure what to vote. I was only sure what not to vote.

Tomorrow I'm allowed to stay at home, because they don't need me at work. That's nice. I don't need to be needed sometimes. I'm going to enjoy the day. I've already done my private paper work today, so tomorrow I'll have time for myself. Not sure what to do with it. Usually I would read as long as I could, but currently there is no book interesting enough. All the work in the garden is done. I could clean the house, but actually I don't want to. I would like to enjoy the day, lol. And I want to enjoy it alone. I even didn't tell any friends that I am at home. Sometimes I need a bit of alone time.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 28, 2021, 02:04:12 AM »
Good maen everyone!
I love corn too!
Sadly, I am familiar with the feeling of only knowing who not to vote. Not lastly though. The last few elections I was sure who to vote for.
How was your day at home?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 28, 2021, 08:19:13 PM »
Good maen everyone!
I love corn too!
Sadly, I am familiar with the feeling of only knowing who not to vote. Not lastly though. The last few elections I was sure who to vote for.
How was your day at home?
Oh, I did some boring reading, doing laundry, shopping in the supermarket, continued learning Spanish and started Japanese.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 29, 2021, 12:20:55 AM »
Japanese! Awesome! I only know a few words I've learnt from animé. Spanish speakers have an advantage when learning Japanese. Words in Japanese are pronounced the same way that they would be pronounced in Spanish. i mean, the letters' sound is the same in both languages. I have a few friends who studied some Japanese.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 29, 2021, 12:48:11 AM »
Japanese! Awesome! I only know a few words I've learnt from animé. Spanish speakers have an advantage when learning Japanese. Words in Japanese are pronounced the same way that they would be pronounced in Spanish. i mean, the letters' sound is the same in both languages. I have a few friends who studied some Japanese.
Really? I don't hear similarities to Spanish. Yet. But I do hear similarities to English in the words for fork, and knife for example and the word for soup sounds almost like German. I don't build any sentences yet. I only know a few words. I could count to 5 before, because of karate, lol. But for now, I'm struggling with the writing. And it is a bit confusing also, because I have to do it as an English speaker, so if I don't concentrate enough, I answer in the wrong language.
This happens a lot to me. Sometimes the app wants me to write down what I hear. The text is in Spanish and if I don't concentrate enough , I accidentally write down the translation. But gladly this doesn't count as wrong, they just remind you in this case not to translate, but to write it in Spanish.
But it's good training for the brain. And I have fun.
What I absolutely shouldn't do: Spanish and French immediately after one another.  That's too confusing because there are so many almost similarities.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 29, 2021, 08:23:50 AM »
Yes, Spanish and French are easier to learn if you know one of them, but, at the same time, many words and things are confusing. There are lots of "Faux-amis", words that appear to be translations, but they are not. You have things like "livre" which means book in French, but in Spanish you have "libro" (book) and "libre" (free), so if you don't pay attention you write "livre" or "livro" in Spanish.
Also, things like the word for blood. "Le sang" is masculine in French and "La sangre" is feminine in Spanish.

About Japanese, the words are not similar, it is just that they are pronounced similarly. Also, I think Japanese have a good relationship with Germany, so many words were adapted from that language. The same happens with English, as when Japanese don't have a translation for an English word they invent a word that sounds similar. I can't think any example now, but I swear, there are many. You realize that when you see animé in Japanese with English subtitles.
I always try to see things in the original language, with subtitles. And with Japanese, many times the Spanish subtitles are not good, so I prefer English subtitles.
And you are right, excellent training for the brain!

Oh. I am doing an online course about satellite images. I had some idea for previous courses but I had forgotten most of it. I am having fun too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 29, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »
Oh yes. I fell into the libro/livre trap once. And also into the tú eres/ tu es trap several times at the beginning. 

Edit: But in the case of libro, here Spanish is more related to the Latin liber.

LOL I remember a German comedian talking about soccer. He said Libero comes from Latin liber, libris= the book. That would be the only player who can read.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:27:24 AM by Regenbogen »