Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240298 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1275 on: September 05, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »
I've read all the Rincewind ones (I think) and then I began with The Watch ones, but, as I told you, I don't remember which one I should read now.
Hubby has several Death books, but I had not read them yet.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 05, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »
MAEN everyone, hope you're doing okay.
I've read a couple of Death books, and they're good. My favorites are still the early Watch books. Rincewind was amazing :D
Didn't like the Witches at all. Still, perhaps my favorite Pratchett book is "Small Gods"
@Regen: Ach, hornets :@ they destroyed my last year's grapes. This year I beat them by covering up the grapes with plastic bags filled with holes. Just before they matured.
On a side note, my neighbor let her ducks and chicken in my garden while I was away and they destroyed my salad greens, which is pissing me off to no end. I still have a running video feed in my head featuring all the manic ways I'm going to kill her.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 06, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
@Fcrate
Why does she do that? Did she do it on purpose or did she just not notice in time, that her birds got into your garden? If on purpose: That's not very nice. Does she intend to piss you off?
If she was just careless, she should apologise and give you some of her salads for destroying yours.

Offline ManuFS

• Posty McPostington
  • Peace was never an option.
    • View Profile
    • My Savage Worlds RPG products
« Reply #1278 on: September 06, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
Drive-by hugs for ((((all)))) <3
Yes, I still have this login and I think fondly of the days spent here. :) Hope y'all are well!
1 part Saint. 2 parts Sinner.
The last part? Still on the line.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 07, 2021, 06:35:58 AM »
@Manu: hey there. :)
@Regen: she's selfish, and likes to feed her birds for free. She doesn't consider it theft.
The piece of land next to me is an orange grove, and she's consistently stealing from them. She'd take maybe 50 kg or so and sell them below market price for neighbours.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 07, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »
@Manu: hey there. :)
@Regen: she's selfish, and likes to feed her birds for free. She doesn't consider it theft.
The piece of land next to me is an orange grove, and she's consistently stealing from them. She'd take maybe 50 kg or so and sell them below market price for neighbours.
It is theft. Sometimes if the branch of the tree hangs over the public pavement it is not theft anymore but otherwise it is. But I suppose if you just catch them in your own garden you can use her logic and make a nice curry.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 07, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »
Arjan, you'd fit right in the Egyptian countryside. Who'd have thought? Lol.
Same thought crossed my mind. They'd be difficult to catch, so I'll have my rifle ready.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 07, 2021, 07:19:22 PM »
Arjan, you'd fit right in the Egyptian countryside. Who'd have thought? Lol.
Same thought crossed my mind. They'd be difficult to catch, so I'll have my rifle ready.
We have strict gun laws here. No rifles.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:19 PM »
Yes!!!! And when she asks, if you knew where all her chicken have been disappearing to, what on earth happened to them? You can tell her innocently you had no idea, but you can give her a good advice: keep your remaining chicken safe on your own ground. They definitly need better protection. It's just too dangerous for them to wander around...poor things ;) so many terrible things can happen to them... But hey, how should you know...

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 08, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
We have strict gun laws here. No rifles.
Same here, but this is an air rifle. My beloved Diana 54 Air King.
@Regen: I don't think I can deliver the message that well. Lol. I can manage a stone face, but fake sympathy always ends up with me laughing.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 08, 2021, 04:12:16 PM »
Same here, but this is an air rifle. My beloved Diana 54 Air King.
@Regen: I don't think I can deliver the message that well. Lol. I can manage a stone face, but fake sympathy always ends up with me laughing.
LOL. Me too.
In this case, if it were me, I would either say nothing and make use of the chicken in some way or other. For example make them my own. My garden, my chicken. ;) I wouldn't kill them.
And in case she notices and wants her back, I could either say: these are mine, I found them in my garden. Or: You can take them back, but only on the condition that you never allow them into my garden again.
Or storm over to her, red faced and spitting to yell at her to keep her chicken where they belong, or else... But this I would have to do at once or my anger wouldn't be so convincing any more.
Or after calming down I would go over to her and put on my serious face and tell her in a rational tone, what happened, and that I hoped this was just a single incident and not on purpose. Because otherwise I would consider it a unforgivable rudeness and that would be a pity wouldn't it? After that I would put on my most malicious smile and walk away without giving her the chance to answer.

The last one would be my best solution, but I have trouble not to tremble with rage when saying something like that. But maybe being considered crazy would be to your advantage in future dealings with her. LOL

In reality I think I would take option one.

LOL: about rifles: my father actually shot at chicken and stray cats with his air pistol. Several times. It doesn't kill the cats, the bullets never stuck, but it hurts and tought them not to come back. So he tried it with chicken, too. He hit one in the butt and it died. Oops. So we had chicken for dinner. One of the neighbours told him a few days later, that he had some chicken missing and we should watch out for martens. My father thanked him gravely for the warning.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 10, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »
All your solutions would work on anybody with a shred of decency, which isn't the case here. This happened 3 times before. First time was about 12 years ago, and my coworker took 2 chicken and one duck before she stopped letting them "out". A few years later, I was away on vacation, and my friend was looking after my garden, he took it as a personal failing when they ruined my crop of corn, so he spread some bird feed full of diazanone, and she lost most of her flock. I disapproved of this, as poisoning an animal is abhorrent to me. It's not a quick death.  But anyway, it was very effective, as almost 8 years has passed since she tried again.
LOL @ your father. He must have shot it point blank, or had a very (Un)lucky shot that reached the heart/lungs. I don't know of any air Pistol strong enough to kill chicken in one shot. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 10, 2021, 03:22:13 PM »
((((((((Manu)))))))!!!!!

I hope you are doing well. I don't think you have talked with Regen before. She is from Germany too! You have been missed.

I had a laugh with all the posts about the chicken, but I am sorry about the original post. Your neighbor is really rude, sorry you have to deal with her. Also, I agree with Regen, you should take the birds for you.

Oh no, I remember seeing cats hurt with air rifles. Not nice, poor things.

I received my second dose of the vaccine on Wednesday. This time, my arm hurt until I took paracetamol. I even have a bruise. I think the nurse was not so good as the one that gave me the first shot. I did not have other problems, so that is good.
Also, it has been raining for several days and it's cold, so it feels as it should be. September is always a coldish and rainy month, even when it marks the beginning of Spring.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 15, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »
Hey, Manu!
How are you?

@Dina:
I hope you are well again. After my second vaccination I remember sitting there and staring at the wall for hours, but I was OK with that. The wall was perfect for being stared at. LOL

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 15, 2021, 08:55:48 PM »
LOL!
Well, I was generally well all the time, but my arm hurt the whole day (the day after the vaccine) and the bruise was quite dark, and you can still see it now, one week after. But anyways, I am vaccinated now, so I am happy.

Weather has completely changed since last time, it's warm and sunny since a couple of days ago.
Missing you, Md