Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240427 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1260 on: August 29, 2021, 03:49:55 AM »
Glad you liked the link  :)

Gmunden seems beautiful! And being so close to home (I wouldn't even leave the province where my city is, in 3 and 1/2 hours) it is great, you won't even be too tired when you are back. I hope you enjoy your lunch, it is always lovely to see relatives, but especially after the pandemics, where everyone was so isolated.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 29, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
LOL (the link)
Hi, Dina!
Actually I am here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmunden
Today we are leaving. It's only a 3˝ hours drive from home by car. Assuming one doesn't have to stop or there is no traffic jam.
We'll be having lunch first with family. After that we'll get on our way.
Vegetable and pine cone baths? Did you try them?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 29, 2021, 05:30:18 PM »
Vegetable and pine cone baths? Did you try them?
LOL
No, I thought that might be a mistake by the author of the English text. I have never heard of those. They are not even mentioned in the German text. Maybe it means special treatments in a thermal bath, but there is none directly in the city. But in Bad Ischl, another city.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 29, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »
LOL
No, I thought that might be a mistake by the author of the English text. I have never heard of those. They are not even mentioned in the German text. Maybe it means special treatments in a thermal bath, but there is none directly in the city. But in Bad Ischl, another city.
It sounded weird to me yes. I had visions of people floating in vegetable soup 😊
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 29, 2021, 08:22:26 PM »

First vignette, Mafalda  (the girl): Come on, Miguelito. You have to shake off that idea that the sea looks like soup.
Second vignette, Mafalda: See? Isn't it nice to see all that people taking a bath? Right? What do you think, eh?
Third vignette, Miguelito (the boy): Noodles!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 29, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »
DINA!!!!!!  ;D
LOL!!!!
@Arjan: I was more confused by the pine cones. A bit scratchy to float in.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 29, 2021, 11:57:06 PM »
I assumed the pine cones were in the bottom of the water, allegedly giving the water some oil or smell.

Glad you liked it, it was a running gag that Miguelito hated the sea. I love Mafalda, which is a classical Argentinian comic stripe, from the 70´s. She has many things about politics or real world things, but other were just cute kids. Argentinians love Mafalda (her creator died almost a year ago).
Here, another of the same arc

Mafalda: Poor Miguelito!
Mafalda's dad: What is wrong with him
Mafalda: Since the day he imagined the sea was a soup, he can't see it without feeling sick.
Mafalda: But...There he is! In the sea!...
Mafalda: Bravo, Miguelito! You took courage!
Miguelito: No, I took alka-seltzer.
 :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:34 AM »

Mafalda: Poor Miguelito!
Mafalda's dad: What is wrong with him
Mafalda: Since the day he imagined the sea was a soup, he can't see it without feeling sick.
Mafalda: But...There he is! In the sea!...
Mafalda: Bravo, Miguelito! You took courage!
Miguelito: No, I took alka-seltzer.
 :)
Oh, that's cute! Thank you.
We are back home, feels like summer is over. The plums are ripe. Once the rain stops, I will start collecting them.

I've started to learn Spanish with Duolingo. I think I told you once, that I wanted to learn it in school, but they only had Italian. So I meant to take lessons 'some day'. But there never was time after school. There still isn't really, but with the app on my cellphone there is no pressure because of exams, no need to vistit courses at certain times, which always is difficult for shift workers. It's only my third day, but it is fun.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 31, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »
Here it is, again, unseasonly warm. A storm should be brewing (for decades, probably centuries, there were always a terrible storm this time of year. It was called "The Santa Rosa storm", because August 30 was Santa Rosa of Lima day, and her legend included a storm of roses). That was traditionally really strong and caused several damages, but in the last 15 years of so, the storm has been fading or disappearing. Sometimes we have a rain, but not so bad. Other years, we had nothing. I think last year we had not one, but I don't remember, with all the isolation.
Excellent about duolingo! If you have any doubt with a lesson, you can ask me  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 01, 2021, 09:30:24 PM »
Well, Santa Rosa arrived today! So far, it is not so intense as other years, but it has been raining all day.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »
Well, Santa Rosa arrived today! So far, it is not so intense as other years, but it has been raining all day.
... Yay?...

Excellent about duolingo! If you have any doubt with a lesson, you can ask me  :)
Thank you. I will do that. <3
So far it is OK. Though there is no grammar. But I've always been ignoring grammar, lol. But I am sure I'll need help as soon as the sentences get more complicated than ' the cat drinks milk.'
I also try to freshen up my French.
...  ;D no pun intended!!!!
But they put me with the beginners although I passed the test. Now I have to go through all the boring stuff I already know in endless repetitions.

This week I am occupied with buying school stuff (finished for the little one), shoes (their feet are growing so fast) and maybe clothes (especially some jacket that's not too thin but not too thick also for autumn and at best waterproof. School starts in two weeks.

But now I'll go to bed. I just wanted to say hello.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 01, 2021, 10:55:52 PM »
Yes, I am happy about the storm, because it means the weather has not changed as much as I dreaded.

Well, be patient about French, it may be boring but exercising may be helpful. Bonne chance!

Good luck with the school shopping and sweet dreams tonight!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 04, 2021, 07:09:42 PM »
Maen, weird!

Just dropping by. I've finished my reread of the Alex Verus books, now waiting for the last one to arrive in early December.
Now I'm kind of floating around, browsing the internet thingie, reading a few sentences of the potential next books I'm going to read, but not able to decide yet, which one it will be.
Honestly I want the next Dresden, but one can have dreams ;).
I think I will read Mort again by Terry Pratchett.

Tomorrow I have to get up early to get as many plums as possible from the tree before the wasps and hornets defeat me again. Doing it in the afternoon or evening is a bit too challenging for me. Being stung isn't fun.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 05, 2021, 08:22:43 AM »
Ey, Regen! Good maen!

Have you watched "The Watch" (not pun intended). It is a show about Pratchett's "The Watch". I have it in Amazon and I recently watched it. It is super weird, like it is loosely inspired in Pratchett, it was totally shocking at first. But once I accepted it as its own animal and not a faithful adaptation, I must admit I liked it. It was better than I expected and the characters have the core of what they are in the books. So my initial anger faded. Fair warning though, it ends in a cliffhanger, and I wouldn´t bet on a second season.

I need to begin reading Pratchett again, I only read a few books and I definitely need more. I even forgot what book I had decided to read next (I was doing my duty with The Watch ones at the time I left them). Nothing I can't search for though.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 05, 2021, 12:49:01 PM »
Honestly, I didn't like the watch. I tried to read it once, but my thoughts drifted all the time. But I do like the ones with Death, and the ones with Rincewind. I have not tried the witches yet, but they sound nice as well.
Our library doesn't have all of them, so there are lots I haven't read yet. Some I own and some belong to my husband. But I intend to purchase all the ones featuring Death.