Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240381 times)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1230 on: August 06, 2021, 02:26:45 AM »
(((((DINA))))))
Enjoy. I'm watching phantom of the Opera.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 06, 2021, 07:04:44 AM »
Ah, I know you like musicals very much.
We have some musicals, Broadway-style, especially for a man called Angel Mahler. If you can find his "Dracula", I think you may like it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 06, 2021, 11:32:50 PM »
Ah, I know you like musicals very much.
We have some musicals, Broadway-style, especially for a man called Angel Mahler. If you can find his "Dracula", I think you may like it.
Thanks for the recommendation!!! I will look for it.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 09, 2021, 12:38:28 AM »
Well, the Olympic Games are over, the first ones without public in the stadiums. They were good (not for Argentina, who has a poor presentation, but at least we had silver in female hockey (our "leonas" are good) and bronze in Rugby 7 and male volleyball. Those were quite interesting, as we were not the favorites. Our men put a lot of effort and heart, so I am proud. I also proud of some people who did really good considering our story, for instance,  a 7th position in team equestry, or the 31 and 53 position in marathon (male) and a 60 something for our female representative.

So, it was not as bad as I expected, hopefully Paris 2024 will be better.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 09, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Have you seen the Kitty Norville series? I'm not sure if I loved it, but i devoured all 14 books.
Thank you. I didn't know it. Always glad of new recommendations.
I think I might try them some day.

I didn't have time to watch the Olympics this year, I just read some news about it and saw a few seconds every now and then.

And how is everybody?

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 09, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
Well, the Olympic Games are over, the first ones without public in the stadiums. They were good (not for Argentina, who has a poor presentation, but at least we had silver in female hockey (our "leonas" are good) and bronze in Rugby 7 and male volleyball. Those were quite interesting, as we were not the favorites. Our men put a lot of effort and heart, so I am proud. I also proud of some people who did really good considering our story, for instance,  a 7th position in team equestry, or the 31 and 53 position in marathon (male) and a 60 something for our female representative.

So, it was not as bad as I expected, hopefully Paris 2024 will be better.
I don't remember who they were facing but I watched an Argentina Rugby game. It was fun to watch.
Overall the olympics was kind of sad with the lack of fans, but it was a much needed respite from the realities of the world right now. I loved watching badmitton and honestly was scared at how fast they reacted.

Thank you. I didn't know it. Always glad of new recommendations.
I think I might try them some day.

I didn't have time to watch the Olympics this year, I just read some news about it and saw a few seconds every now and then.
Hey Regen. I'm doing good. Just sort of chilling and stuff. How are you?

Both of my coworkers who cover the same region and technology went on independent vacations and caught covid a week apart, so i will be all by myself this week.

Also I'm reading the new High Republic book. Its good so far.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 10, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
You know? I forget about the SW books I had begun. Now that the semester is over I may begin to read it again. Meanwhile, I am loving the Bad Batch, but I think the season will be over this week.

I've read that Suicide Squad is available in HBOmax in USA. I was hoping it would be the same here, but it is not. I hope it won't take long to appear. I am also looking forward to Stargirl s2. The trailer shows Jade! (Green Lantern's daughter, who is a character I like and even used as avatar in other places)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 10, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
@Grey Warden
Thank you, I'm fine. I'll have to work until the end of next week, and after that I'm on vacation for the rest of the summer holidays until one week after school starts again.
We are going to spend one week in Austria, meet with family there we haven't seen since the year before covid. We will be back in time, so if they spontaneously decide that there will be quarantine again after travelling abroad, it would be over before school starts.

I'm listening to audio books these days, though I do prefer reading. I already mentioned that I'm doing my re-read of the Alex Verus novels via audio. At first, because I got 2months audible for my birthday with 2 books for free. Then because I liked how they are read.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 10, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »
Yay for vacations! I hope you and your family have a lot of fun in Austria, Regen.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 11, 2021, 03:26:15 AM »
Update: I had fun in the big city, but was slightly annoyed at how far everything was apart in various pieces of the metro. Other than that it was a fun weekend and needed break from...well, everything. Unfortunately I came back from vacation and none of my coworkers had changed which has made work the past couple of days very frustrating.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 11, 2021, 11:13:09 PM »
(((((((DC))))))))
I am so glad you had fun!

And about your coworkers, you really did not expect them to change, did you? I hope you can find a way to cope with that, perhaps speaking with them so they change...or just having more patience  :'(
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 12, 2021, 11:21:11 PM »
MAEN all. It's been a while, I was having a VERY lazy week.
 @Regen: have fun in Austria.
@Dina: I didn't get to watch any of the olympics. I turned on my TV and found out it was bustled, and I remembered that was acting up a bit the last time I turned it on (April, I think).
@DC: We have a saying here in Egypt, it goes like: Have patience with your foul neighbours, they'll either move out, or a catastrophe will move them out for you.:D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 13, 2021, 12:02:33 AM »
(((((((DC))))))))
I am so glad you had fun!

And about your coworkers, you really did not expect them to change, did you? I hope you can find a way to cope with that, perhaps speaking with them so they change...or just having more patience  :'(
It's less about whether or not I expected them to change and more about whether or not I would get a mental reset and be able to deal with it for longer. Burnout is fun.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 13, 2021, 10:13:44 PM »
You are strong, I am sure you can deal with anything. I am sorry because I am sure it won't be easy or pleasant. Sometimes work is a %"#~ pain in the...back, but do not doubt that you will be able to deal with it. I do hope you find some coping mechanism or something that helps you deal with them. It is something that can perhaps be solved by talking or they are simply unable to do better?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 14, 2021, 10:33:25 AM »
It's less about whether or not I expected them to change and more about whether or not I would get a mental reset and be able to deal with it for longer. Burnout is fun.

Bad coworkers are a pain in the derrière.
Can you tell, what it is, that's so bad about them? Sometimes it helps to say it aloud or write it down.
Are they lazy?
Do they work against you or against each other?
Is it all of them or are there exceptions?
Sometimes it is enough that there are one or two arseholes and the rest is to scared to say or do anything and some join them in doing arseholy things just to be on their good side.
Did you ever talk about the problems?
Does anyone talk about the problems?

What needs to be changed?

Sometimes it gets a bit better just to honestly say something about the situation and one's feelings about it with everyone present. That tells them "We see you. We know who you are. We see what you do. We have been nice about it before,  but there is a line that has been crossed and we won't tolerate that any more." No need to say any names. The ones you mean will know it is them.

I've done that. I said I had enough. I told them we don't have to like each other, but I want people I can trust with work related stuff. We don't have to see each other in private. But would you please behave like adults and just do your job.

After that I thought now I am persona non grata until one if us leaves. And they do look at me with other eyes now. More careful. As if they were afraid to piss me off. And they should be. To be honest, I'm done with being pushed around. And I made that clear.
They are still bullying others but not when they think I might see or hear about that. And I did tell them, that everyone talked to me. EVERYONE!
I never used a threatening voice or said it in threatening words. But I think they understood how angry I was.
It's just two or three out of 20, but they can ruin the whole atmosphere.
I think they were impressed, because I didn't say something for myself but for two others I noticed have been bullied for a long time. And as long as no one says anything they do whatever they want with you, because they can.
I don't need them to like me. They can even hate me. I don't care, as long as they keep their personal stuff out of work. And I do the same.

I want to cite an old woman I had a talk about arrogant people. Those who try to make you feel inferior, because they supposedly have a better life, a better job, more money, are more beautiful, raise their kids better and so on. Everyone knows such people.

The woman told me: "I don't feel inferior anymore. I told myself, that I am somebody, too."
And she was right. Everyone is somebody. If you feel the need to look down on others, then I pity you. Then you don't understand that the person you are looking down at is somebody, too. Just somebody else.