Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244528 times)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1215 on: July 25, 2021, 03:23:52 AM »
Awesome DC (I mean, the interviews) and I hope you have fun with your vacation. Do you have any plans for it?
I'm probably going to take a trip to a big city to see some friends who live down there. Other than that I'm going to enjoy the time off.

And I'll be honest, I read both 1984 and Brave New World and...hated both of them. They were both awful and nonsensical.  :o
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 25, 2021, 07:40:49 AM »
(((((((DC))))))))
I hope you have fun in the big city!

I actually liked Brave New World. Not only because of the idea of cloning (which always interested me) but because of the "training" (not only because of Pavlovian conditioning but also as a social process to keep people happy with their lives). It was mainly a trigger for me for thinking some things. But the thing I was more interested was precisely which explained the name of the book. How enough social change can make old literature impossible to understand (even basic ideas like maternal love).

I wouldn't say I love the writing, but the ideas were very interesting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 27, 2021, 11:47:15 PM »
We did the final exams today, to three students. The grades were 8, 9, 10. I am happy  :)

Random comment: I remember having been taught at school how Henry Ford was a very efficient, if cold, businessman. They never taught us how much of an anti-jew he was. Just an example of how teaching history can change the socially accepted narrative.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 28, 2021, 01:23:07 PM »
Have you seen the Kitty Norville series? I'm not sure if I loved it, but i devoured all 14 books.

No, I haven't read them. Yet. But thank you. I'll put them on my list of future must-reads.

We did the final exams today, to three students. The grades were 8, 9, 10. I am happy  :)

Random comment: I remember having been taught at school how Henry Ford was a very efficient, if cold, businessman. They never taught us how much of an anti-jew he was. Just an example of how teaching history can change the socially accepted narrative.
@Dina: Congratulations to your students.
Just for understanding: what would be the highest grade?

One never learns every aspect of a person.

Tomorrow is the last day of school here before the summer holidays. My youngest is in first grade, so she won't have grades yet in her school report until next year. But there will be a written report. I hope that my older daughter won't bring too bad grades. She wasn't that motivated to learn until I found out, that I could bribe her with money. LOL. Yes, I'm paying my daughter money for good grades. I have a system. The grades go from 1 (the best) to 6 (the worst).
1 = €2
2 = €1
3 = €0,50 or nothing, depending on if it's a good or a bad 3.
4= nothing
5 = - €0,50 (she has to give me money)
6 = - €1
But only in the main subjects during the year. Don't worry, I never had to pay much. ;)
Tomorrow, I'm going to extend the payment to every subject.
After I introduced the system, she suddenly got very very motivated and started to learn a lot. ;) Only once she had to pay 50ct for a bad grade in English.

At the end of August we hope to find some place to stay for a week in Austria. We're a bit late for planning, so we probably won't find something directly where we plan to be. But hopefully not too far away from our relatives. If it was only for a weekend we would ask them if we could stay with them, but we don't dare to invade them for one whole week. LOL.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 28, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
Good maen!
Our grades go from 1 (the worst) to 10, the best. Finals at most universities  are approved (pass) with 4, but the partial (mid-semester, I guess, or something like that. There are exams that cover around half of the course, while the finals cover the entire course) passing grades are decided for each course's main teacher. For example, in our course, the passing grade is 5. If you don't pass, you have another chance (another exam) and if you don't pass, well, you did not pass. Traditionally, some courses have "promotion system", so if a student approve the two partials with some good grades, perhaps 6, and a good average, that could be 6, 6.5, 7, they don't have to go to the finals. They pass. We use to do that, but since pandemics we don't do promotions, because we are not 100% they don't copy each other in the partials.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 29, 2021, 12:31:28 AM »
I actually liked Brave New World. Not only because of the idea of cloning (which always interested me) but because of the "training" (not only because of Pavlovian conditioning but also as a social process to keep people happy with their lives). It was mainly a trigger for me for thinking some things. But the thing I was more interested was precisely which explained the name of the book. How enough social change can make old literature impossible to understand (even basic ideas like maternal love).

I wouldn't say I love the writing, but the ideas were very interesting.
I enjoyed Brave new world for the concepts not really the story. The idea of worshiping Ford was really interesting to me. The concept rocked.

Regen that's a good system. I'm sure they will make you proud however it shakes.

DC! Enjoy your vacation

In other news, one of my friends from the Navy asked me to be his best man. I'm very excited even though I was a bit shocked to be asked.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:36:02 AM by ۞†Grey Warden†۞ »
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 29, 2021, 01:38:16 AM »
Oh, great news, GW! It is good to know your friend values you so much.
I am sure you will create amazing memories. And you will probably look very smart too  :)
Just don't forget the rings.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 29, 2021, 01:47:17 AM »
Oh, great news, GW! It is good to know your friend values you so much.
I am sure you will create amazing memories. And you will probably look very smart too  :)
Just don't forget the rings.
Thank you Dina. I'm definitely going to remember the rings. I need to make a list of things a Best Man is responsible for. I'm sure one exists.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 29, 2021, 01:52:28 AM »
Oh, I bet there is a list.
You probably should ask someone who had done the job already. Besides knowing the list, they will probably have tips.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: July 30, 2021, 03:18:50 AM »
Oh, I bet there is a list.
You probably should ask someone who had done the job already. Besides knowing the list, they will probably have tips.
Thats a great idea. I know a guy who has been best man 4 times.

((((DINA))))
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 30, 2021, 05:25:04 AM »
An expert! Yes, ask him  :D

It's cold tonight
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 01, 2021, 11:08:42 PM »
Hope everyone in the SHOV is doing well. I am currently reading a book called "A Declaration of the Rights of Magicians" and its very interesting. It takes place in England and France and is set in the backdrop of the French Revolution. In it, only aristocrats are allowed to used the magic they were born with. The rest have these bracelets that burn them when they use magic. The various types of  magic are interesting and while it does spend a lot of time on politics it feels very fresh.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 01, 2021, 11:52:24 PM »
It seems like an original approach
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 05, 2021, 11:41:55 PM »
Hope everyone in the SHOV is doing well.

The sequel to the Book I just finished is called "A Radical Act of Free Magic" and it might just be one of my favorite book names ever.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 06, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »
I like that!
I am watching artistic gymnatics, loving it.
Missing you, Md