Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240607 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1200 on: July 22, 2021, 02:29:11 AM »
Uhm...eh...actually, this was my local team, River Plate. Not the national team.
We are playing the Libertadores, which is sort of the UEFA for South America. We are still far away of the championship, but at least we won this match and are now on the round of 8  :)

Traditionally, I loved Olympics game. The raising of the Olympic flag and the lightning of the Torch never ceases to emotion me. But this year, with the pandemics and all that, I am not excited, I mostly don't care.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 22, 2021, 05:26:15 AM »
Good Evening weird

DC Good luck on your interviews!
 Good thank you. How about you?

How is everyone doing in the Shov? All 12 fingers and toes?
Good maen!!!!
I'm fine. We've been unharmed by the flood. I had to cross the river yesterday and it still has a lot of water, but not so much that it threatens to go over the shore any more.

Yesterday we were in the corn labyrinth again, like last year. It was my daughter's birthday. We had 5 girls with us and had 3 groups competing in the labyrinth. That was fun. My husband and I won, of course. LOL.
But I admit, we cheated. After the first 5 stations we used a picture of the labyrinth from above to find the last 10 more easily.
But only to be able to help the kids, should they fail to get out or to find every station.  Fun as always.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 22, 2021, 07:18:25 AM »
"But only to be able to help the kids, should they fail to get out or to find every station." 
Uh-huh. Just for that. A likely story.

I am glad you and your little one had fun!  :)
And it is good that the weather had been good and you were able to do that visit. I am sure your girl was super excited.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 22, 2021, 10:23:57 AM »
"But only to be able to help the kids, should they fail to get out or to find every station." 
Uh-huh. Just for that. A likely story.

I am glad you and your little one had fun!  :)
And it is good that the weather had been good and you were able to do that visit. I am sure your girl was super excited.
Yeah, of course. As responsible adults we had to make sure to be outside the labyrinth before the kids, otherwise how could we help them?  ;)
They all had fun. And the kids had a map, too. They've been using it from the beginning.

Today they are filling in concrete again at the construction ground. That's interesting to watch. The basement is finished, now they are filling concrete into what will be the ground floor.
We asked them yesterday, when they will do that, because you can't get in or out the street with a car and we needed to drive yesterday.

I started listening to the audio book of Benedict Jacka's "Fated". At first I was reading 1984, but that was too depressing and disturbing for now. I needed something else.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 22, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »
MAEN all :)
Congrats Dina. Semi-finals soon, I hope.
@Grey Warden: I always enjoyed the swimming jump competition thingies. Also pole jumping.
@Regen: 1984 perfectly describes our political situations. I read it when I was 15 or 16, and thought: This is our future, and we'll, it happened.
I enjoyed Alex Verus. Wasn't my favorite series, but it was a fun read nonetheless.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 22, 2021, 10:00:26 PM »
I had not read 1984. Of course, I know what is the theme and I even read a few excerpts when I was studying English on a private academy, but I never read the full book. I...simply found it too depressing and never felt like trying it. And yes, of course it was horrifying. In fact, when the show "Big Brother" began airing, I couldn't understand why people were so excited. I found it terrible just from its conception.
What is indeed tragic is that some of the surveillance ways we have nowadays were even worse than what Orwell imagined.

About that:

About the Libertadores, well, we have to face a Brazilian team, which is usually difficult, so we will see. But I am happy because our eternal rival was eliminated in this round. I am petty that way  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 22, 2021, 11:12:05 PM »
Haha, Google is the new big brother. Facebook is maybe
...middle brother? :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 22, 2021, 11:50:50 PM »
LOL, maybe.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 23, 2021, 01:23:20 AM »
Haha, Google is the new big brother. Facebook is maybe
...middle brother? :D
I read this book by cory doctorow called Little Brother soo....
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 23, 2021, 07:47:03 AM »
Yes, I've read it too at the age of 15 or 16. But I didn't remember all the details. And indeed it is the political situation Orwell describes and its parallels to the situation now and then that disturbed me. I can't say I did not understand it as a teenager, but now I understand it even better. I will continue later, because it is really well written and very interesting, but I will do so at a later time. For the moment I need something less realistic.

Jacka has finished the last Verus novel. It will be out in late November or early December depending on the version you buy.
Edit: ...and there is a good short story or novella called "Favours" from Sonder's POV. Currently he is working on a new series. Something different, but it will be urban fantasy, too.

@Fcrate: swimming jump competition thingies! LOL
I like those too. I also like the running around in circles competition thingies. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 07:58:19 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 23, 2021, 08:42:33 AM »
Besides football, of course, I think my favorite are the artistic things. Gym, swim, skate, it the more artistic versions.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 24, 2021, 03:42:02 PM »
Besides football, of course, I think my favorite are the artistic things. Gym, swim, skate, it the more artistic versions.
I'm a big fan of swimming events in the summer. Watching people do the high jump always makes me feel good, its like the the very first space race. :)

Jacka has finished the last Verus novel. It will be out in late November or early December depending on the version you buy.
Edit: ...and there is a good short story or novella called "Favours" from Sonder's POV. Currently he is working on a new series. Something different, but it will be urban fantasy, too.
Have you seen the Kitty Norville series? I'm not sure if I loved it, but i devoured all 14 books.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 24, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
I actually been watching some Olympics. It will probably be our worst performance is a long time but it's all right. I admit being sad for Paula Pareto, our judoka. She is finishing her career, a wonderful one. She got gold in the last Olympics, but this year she will be back empty hands. Still, I saw her smile when she congratulated her winning rival, and she was delightful. As far as I can tell, she is a great, kind person. A doctor too, and she has been quite busy since the pandemics started.

I saw some beautiful artistics, Simone Biles and things like that, but I did not do it in an "organized" way, just let the TV on a sports channel.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 24, 2021, 07:06:43 PM »
I actually been watching some Olympics. It will probably be our worst performance is a long time but it's all right. I admit being sad for Paula Pareto, our judoka. She is finishing her career, a wonderful one. She got gold in the last Olympics, but this year she will be back empty hands. Still, I saw her smile when she congratulated her winning rival, and she was delightful. As far as I can tell, she is a great, kind person. A doctor too, and she has been quite busy since the pandemics started.

I saw some beautiful artistics, Simone Biles and things like that, but I did not do it in an "organized" way, just let the TV on a sports channel.
Thats really good sportsmanship of her. Simone biles is just unmatched in her field.

Wathing badmitton right now. US mens got crushed. But fun to watch

(((((DINA)))))
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 24, 2021, 07:28:04 PM »
((((((GW))))))

Yes, I've saw a small interview to her (Pareto) not long after the match. And even when she was sad, she had some kind words for the rival that defeated her, a young Brazilian. She said that she was happy because the Brazilian was young and getting better and she felt that she deserved a win. They apparently know and respect each other. It was refreshing to see.
Pareto had a satisfaction though, she was one of those holding the Olympics flag in the Opening.
Missing you, Md