Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244685 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1125 on: June 18, 2021, 12:40:00 AM »
Wow, that's pretty interesting. I have never thought about how the focused industry in the US during the War might have affected other countries not even involved in it.

What did the University Reform do?

I am watching baseball right now myself.

Sorry, I had not read your edited post before.

Well, first of all, some context. By 1918, we had a few universities but they were not cheap, almost all the students were male (there were some female, but much less than male) but the worst part was probably that the professors were old and too traditionalist, dictating classes with very old-fashioned curricula. Well, the students of the oldest university in my country (Cordoba University) decided that enough was enough and they launched a lot of protests, strikes and wrote a long manifest. The protests expanded to all the country, but the main focus was at Cordoba. They had the support of the more progressive teachers and graduates. They succeeded in changing a lot of things. Better criteria to select professors, participation of students in the government of the university, revisions of the curricula, that slowly became better, more science oriented and with more robust criteria. Since then, students are represented in the Directories of the universities. Thanks to the Reform, our universities (I am talking about public universities here) became really good, and a proud for my country (it gave us 5 Nobel prize winners. I know it does not seem much compared with USA and other countries, but for a Latin American country is not bad).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 18, 2021, 03:01:16 AM »
Wow.  Way to go for those students. They fought hard and got change. Nice. I'm glad they got the push forward to make college available and affordable.

night ((((((DINA)))))))
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 18, 2021, 05:29:11 AM »
If you read a lot of history you will recognize where some writers get their stuff from.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 18, 2021, 04:06:08 PM »
Wow.  Way to go for those students. They fought hard and got change. Nice. I'm glad they got the push forward to make college available and affordable.

night ((((((DINA)))))))

Yes, they were really important and they change they created, still can be felt. The second fundamental change came in 1949, with all the public universities became free.

If you read a lot of history you will recognize where some writers get their stuff from.

You are probably right. I mean, I have not read a lot of history but even I realize some things, so I guess if I had more data, it would be easier  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 22, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »
Hope everyone is doing good here in the SHOV. I've been reading heavy the past few days!

Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 23, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
((((((((GW)))))))))
I've been doing well, working and preparing classes. I also read a couple of things, and I kept watching SW: Bad Batch and the Arrowverse shows. I also watched "Wish Dragon", which IMHO is quite a rip off of Aladdin but in a modern setting. It was sweet though, heartwarming.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 24, 2021, 12:04:36 AM »
((((((((GW)))))))))
I've been doing well, working and preparing classes. I also read a couple of things, and I kept watching SW: Bad Batch and the Arrowverse shows. I also watched "Wish Dragon", which IMHO is quite a rip off of Aladdin but in a modern setting. It was sweet though, heartwarming.
The bad batch episode was heart breaking.  I don't think I've heard of Wish Dragon.
((((DINA)))))
The book I just finished was called Rabbits and it was good but needed about ten more pages.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 24, 2021, 12:30:52 AM »
Sort of epilogue or something like that? I often feel that books need a better closure.

Wish dragon is an animated film that suddenly popped up in my Netflix. Instead of a Genie, it has a dragon which granted wishes.

Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 24, 2021, 01:23:35 AM »
Sort of epilogue or something like that? I often feel that books need a better closure.
Wish dragon is an animated film that suddenly popped up in my Netflix. Instead of a Genie, it has a dragon which granted wishes.
Yes, It needed an epilogue to answer some of the questions that it gave me a burning need of the answer to.

A dragon that grants wishes. I might have to check it out,
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 24, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
A dragon that grants wishes. I might have to check it out,
It's not Dragon Ball, mind you  :D

Yes, It needed an epilogue to answer some of the questions that it gave me a burning need of the answer to.
It often happens to me. The most frustrating example for me was Harry Potter. After so many years waiting for the final book, the ending felt hurried and the epilogue was not enough. I needed some closure for all the deaths.  I wanted to know more about what happened after the battle, not 19 years later.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 27, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »
It's not Dragon Ball, mind you  :D
It often happens to me. The most frustrating example for me was Harry Potter. After so many years waiting for the final book, the ending felt hurried and the epilogue was not enough. I needed some closure for all the deaths.  I wanted to know more about what happened after the battle, not 19 years later.
Not Dragon Ball? Then why bother lol

I totally agree on the harry potter front. It needed a lot more context. Also I would have loved for harry to become the defense against the Dark Arts teacher and end the curse on the position. It would have been a lot more poetic than him becoming an auror.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 27, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
Yes, I completely agree.
In my mind, when he got tired of being an auror he went to teach DADA, but the curse was long gone, having finished after the war.
I even imagine that when Harry is old he will be the Headmaster  :)

It's cold here today, and grey, so I just had a soup. I don't know why Knorr has decided to test some new flavors with a sort of "organic" look. For instance, we already had a tomato and basil soup, but now it also has amaranth seeds.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 27, 2021, 10:53:01 PM »
Yes, I completely agree.
In my mind, when he got tired of being an auror he went to teach DADA, but the curse was long gone, having finished after the war.
I even imagine that when Harry is old he will be the Headmaster  :)

It's cold here today, and grey, so I just had a soup. I don't know why Knorr has decided to test some new flavors with a sort of "organic" look. For instance, we already had a tomato and basil soup, but now it also has amaranth seeds.
(((((DINA)))))

its a bit grey here as well. Amaranth seeds? Cant say I've ever heard of them.

I do like the idea that he becomes Headmaster. He would be one that would be 10 times the headmaster that Dumbledore was.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 27, 2021, 11:44:30 PM »
Again, I agree.
Amaranth gives the soup a touch crounchy. They are small, white seeds, with a very light salty touch.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 28, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
Hello, weird people, I hope everyone is well :)
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير