Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244767 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1065 on: June 05, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
I've been dying my hair since I was a teenager. First because I didn't like its non-colour, and because my mother also did it all the time. So I was allowed to experiment early on. ;)
And even before that, I had to dye her hair, because it soon became clear that I could do it with minimum mess. I don't know how she did it, but after hair dying done by my mother, there were always spots of hair dye everywhere in the bathroom. So I got recruited most of the time.
Also my best friend's mother is a hair dresser and now she is, too, so I got to see lots of colours in her hair.

I had a lot of different colours of hair in my life. The only ones that looked ugly were orange (not on purpose, lol) and black. OK, and the dirty green accident, that was supposed to be blue. From time to time I let the colours grow out, to see, if there is enough grey yet. Because if there is, then I would like it to be grey. But there isn't yet. Just some single white hairs, barely noticeable.

Another topic:
My daughter's school is doing some health event. The kids have to count their steps or the distance they drove a bicycle. I thought, that was a good idea. I wanted to count my steps for years, but never did it. Thing is, we are walking a lot at work, and I wanted to know how much and how much difference it is what I walk at home and so on. Also maybe a good motivation to do more sports. ;)

So I installed the app today. Of course I first want to set point zero. That means, I have to commit a lazy day, to see the difference to a normal day and a workday. And a workday at different workplaces.
Maybe I'm going to do some walking tomorrow, maybe not. Perhaps it would be good to set several points zero and calculate the average.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 05, 2021, 08:37:27 PM »
That sounds like fun. Counting steps can be motivating. I should do that as well. Also can be fun because you always have a record to go for.

I just built a third book case. Now that I have three I was thinking of giving them names as if they were estates. I don't want to just name them by the types of books on them or at least name them directly that. Do you folks have any suggestions?
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 05, 2021, 09:08:21 PM »

I just built a third book case. Now that I have three I was thinking of giving them names as if they were estates. I don't want to just name them by the types of books on them or at least name them directly that. Do you folks have any suggestions?
I have ideas, ideas, ideas!!!!!!
What about: Samwise, Great A'Tuin and Bene Gesserit

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 05, 2021, 09:22:45 PM »
I have ideas, ideas, ideas!!!!!!
What about: Samwise, Great A'Tuin and Bene Gesserit

I love naming one Samwise. It has history, and I'll pick the one Ive had the longest to denote loyalty.

The second one seems familiar but I cant place it. The last one is not coming to mind at all.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 05, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »
I love naming one Samwise. It has history, and I'll pick the one Ive had the longest to denote loyalty.

The second one seems familiar but I cant place it. The last one is not coming to mind at all.
Disk world and Dune
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 05, 2021, 09:37:40 PM »
Great A'Tuin is the name of the space turtle from the discworld novels. The
Bene Gesserit are from "Dune". ;)
But thinking about it, I would rather call the shelf Arrakis (the dune planet) or Dagobah
And instead of Samwise maybe Qo'noS.
So you would have 3 locations instead of  1 person and 2 locations.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:42:36 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 05, 2021, 09:53:56 PM »
Thank you and dang it. I just reread Going Postal. I should have remembered that.

I've read Dune, and enjoyed it. But I wouldn't put it on my top ten list. Thank you for the option tho.

Great A'Tuin is a great Name. I will go with it for the second book shelf. Any ideas from a Scifi Genre?
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 05, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
Vogon!!! LOL

Edit: Cardassia Prime
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:05:23 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 05, 2021, 10:06:27 PM »
MAEN all. I've just read the past couple of pages, had a great time. (Car :D :D hair :D) I have 3 German friends that I've seen pictures of, and they're the typical Germans that Dina mentioned. Lol.
Most people here are brown, dark hair and eyes. But there are some lighter colors. And some black.
About the bookshelves: "Sanctuary" (name of the world of Diablo game, but it always reminded me of books) and "Cradle" . Just because.
Myself, I don't have any book shelves. I just have crates full of books under my bed, dresser, desk, and anywhere there's room, really. :P and they are grouped by the period of my life when I bought them. Primary school, middle school, high school, etc.
I took the splint off the puppy a few days ago, and it's almost back to normal now :D Also I sent three of them to 3 different friends who wanted a puppy, so I only have 2 left.
Edit: RiF shelf (resistance is futile)
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 05, 2021, 10:12:50 PM »
Fcrate!!!

Borg? Sounds Swedish.

https://youtu.be/AyenRCJ_4Ww

Great news about the puppy!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 06, 2021, 12:28:01 AM »
Yay about the puppies, Fcrate! That he is better and about the others finding new homes.
There are many good sci-fi names, from Tatooine to Trantor (with all the Star Trek in the middle, of course). I should choose one that made me truly happy (for me, probably Tatooine or Vulcan). You could always choose something more generic, like wormhole or portal (or stargate).

I had never read Dune but in high school I had a friend who loved it and she told me lots about the story. She also had the habit of copying parts of the books she loved in her notebook and I copied some of them because I liked how they sounded. That is how I learnt the "limutany against fear" by heart. That was a Bene Gesserit thing. I still remember it (but I don't know if that is the English name. I learnt it in Spanish). You know "I must not fear..." I used it many times before exams, to ease my mind. Yes, it sounds embarrassing but it helped me.
With the same process (copying her notebook) I memorize the ring poem of LOTR. I only read the books about a decade later.

So, I liked Samwise and Great A'tuin too  :). I wouldn't chose Bene Gesserit either because I had not read the books.

Let us know what you choose, GW!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 06, 2021, 12:39:43 AM »
Congrats on the puppies!

So I think I am gonna name the 3 I currently have as follows (I will probably need a fourth soon though):
Samwise

Great A'tuin

Chappa'ai

Sir  Reginald.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 06, 2021, 05:37:03 AM »
Looks well organized and even dust free.

Ours are called Chaos, Can not find them, There are books behind the books, We tried to order them, Where is that book I bought secondhand forty years ago? And There are piles of books next to me.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 06, 2021, 05:51:27 AM »
I need a at least one more Book shelf too XD . Got books piled up all over the place and they need a home -_- . Also, Hi guys n_n !
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 06, 2021, 06:23:33 AM »
((((((Otlan)))))) I hope you are doing well.

GW, those look wonderful! What is Chapa'ai? And I have to admit I love Samwise, looks so elegant.

Arjan, I LOLed. And I definitely can relate. Most of my shelves have actually two rows of books (the shorter ones in the front so you can see the taller books behind them).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)