Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240301 times)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1005 on: May 29, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »
Regen, such amazing plans.  Hopefully next year.
I've spent my birthday in London in 2017. It is a big deal because it's very far from here.

GW, I love your categories, specially Weird books.
My books are mostly organized by collections or more or less genre, but they are also organized by "enough space to put similar books together". That s why I have 3 World of Warcraft books (hubby's. I have not read them) adjacent to the 13 "A series of unfortunate events" books. Of course. Dresden Books are all together.

I don't remember if we talked about this, GW, but I loved the Good Omens show.

I loved the Good Omens show. Tennent was amazing. The overall feel was great. Such a great adaptation. I think I should do a rewatch here soon.

LOL
I almost drove my husband insane, because I categorized our collective CD collection into genres. Each category was in itself in alphabetical order and I even labelled the categories. He wasn't able to find anything, which I couldn't understand. He didn't understand my system.
Well that sounds like his problem lol. As long as it makes sense to one of you lol.

Good Omens was amazing.
We have watched Lucifer season 5 episodes 9-11 today.
I need to watch that still. I kind of forgot that was still going.

Also I may need to subdivide the Urban fantasy section as I have been a little loose with organizing that and it is by far the largest section. Maybe I'll take out harry Potter, Percy jackson and Artemis Fowl and call that Youth Urban Fantasy. The goal is to finally make a catalog of all my books and how many times ive read them.

Have any of you read the Long Earth series by Terry Pratchet and Stephen Baxter? Such a unique take on parallel worlds and honestly made me think so much. Such cool concepts.

If I ever meet the guy who put so many books in my apartment, he and I are going to have words.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:01:32 PM by ۞†Grey Warden†۞ »
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 29, 2021, 11:20:51 PM »
Actually now I remember, in our old home I had themed bookshelves. Though mostly the themes changed in the shelf itself. For example there was one with encyclopedias, science and medicine books. And the same shelf contained young fantasy.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 29, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
Actually now I remember, in our old home I had themed bookshelves. Though mostly the themes changed in the shelf itself. For example there was one with encyclopedias, science and medicine books. And the same shelf contained young fantasy.
Themes are fun. young fantasy of course belongs with those books because what is young fantasy but science not yet explained lol

I realized now just how many books were stuck in odd places at my last apartment. I need more book shelves.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 30, 2021, 12:05:45 AM »
Yes, books are everywhere here, not only in the shelves. Thank God for Kindle.

We were aware Lucifer season 5B arrived to Netflix yesterday but we have not seen any of it yet. Soon, I guess. I really like the show, even when it is nothing that Gaiman's Lucifer in the comics.

Sorry, I have not read the Long Earth series. In fact, I had not heard about it.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 30, 2021, 12:18:01 AM »
Yes, books are everywhere here, not only in the shelves. Thank God for Kindle.

We were aware Lucifer season 5B arrived to Netflix yesterday but we have not seen any of it yet. Soon, I guess. I really like the show, even when it is nothing that Gaiman's Lucifer in the comics.

Sorry, I have not read the Long Earth series. In fact, I had not heard about it.
I think I need two more book shelves.

Lucifer is one of those loose adaptations that you dont really care if its a perfect one. I liked the crossover with the other DC shows though.

Oh man, its not like the Discworld books. Its a little more grounded, but it is a wonder of imagination. Terry and Stephen really did a good job building the world. I actually think I'm gonna do a reread here soon. I have a new rule. Two books I haven't read for every reread.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 30, 2021, 05:30:54 AM »
We always need more shelves  :D

I agree about Lucifer and I loved the crossover!!

Is Long Earth fantasy?

And Happy birthday Regen, here you have a thread! https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,54276.0.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:38:05 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 30, 2021, 01:10:16 PM »
We always need more shelves  :D

I agree about Lucifer and I loved the crossover!!

Is Long Earth fantasy?

And Happy birthday Regen, here you have a thread! https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,54276.0.html

Honestly it kind of feels like if you dressed up a fantasy book in scifi clothes. It has a lot of fantasy tropes but it technically is scifi i guess. However the technology to cross worlds is based on a potato and they don't actually know how it works.

Happy Birthday Regen
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 30, 2021, 01:16:51 PM »
Like Lord of Light? The wiki page calls it science fantasy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 30, 2021, 01:18:46 PM »
Like Lord of Light? The wiki page calls it science fantasy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light
I have never read that but it looks interesting. I think it leans more scifi than that though.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 30, 2021, 01:41:26 PM »
I have never read that but it looks interesting. I think it leans more scifi than that though.
Zelazny was a major influence on Jim Butcher, especially the Amber series.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 30, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »
Well its added to the list. Thank you.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 31, 2021, 07:39:34 AM »
I have never read Zelazny, but I know that a character in the show Andromeda Ascendant has it's name as an hommage. I am savvy that way.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 31, 2021, 09:13:27 PM »

Happy Birthday Regen
Thank you. :)

I've heard that, but never read him either. Though the Amber chronicles are on my list of need-to-read books, too.

We finished Lucifer today. I liked it, though I found Chloe very un-Chloe-like. She appeared very insecure.
There will be a season 6 and this will be the last one.

We spent a wonderful day in the forest and successfully solved the case, lol. After that we drove to a nice playground for the kids, but didn't stay long. Then on the way back we ate ice cream in the small town where my husband works. That was weird, because there were a lot of people in my opinion.
I'm no longer used to so many people in one place.
I had lemon and dark chocolate ice cream.
It's a cute little town, so we stayed a while at the fountain in the middle of the market place. They even had a small maypole. Not the traditional big one painted in blue and white (the traditional erecting of the maypoles and the feasts have been forbidden due to covid restrictions), but an actual birch tree decorated like the small birches young men would erect for a loved one on the first of May.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 31, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »
We finished Lucifer today. I liked it, though I found Chloe very un-Chloe-like. She appeared very insecure.
There will be a season 6 and this will be the last one.

We spent a wonderful day in the forest and successfully solved the case, lol. After that we drove to a nice playground for the kids, but didn't stay long. Then on the way back we ate ice cream in the small town where my husband works. That was weird, because there were a lot of people in my opinion.
I'm no longer used to so many people in one place.
I had lemon and dark chocolate ice cream.
It's a cute little town, so we stayed a while at the fountain in the middle of the market place. They even had a small maypole. Not the traditional big one painted in blue and white (the traditional erecting of the maypoles and the feasts have been forbidden due to covid restrictions), but an actual birch tree decorated like the small birches young men would erect for a loved one on the first of May.

We watched 2 episodes of the 5B (I mean, the second half) of Lucifer. I loved the musical episode. So far, I am liking it, and Chloe is confident and...normal. Now I am worried for the following episodes.

I am glad you enjoyed your birthday, that you finished the case and had ice cream. Lemon and dark chocolate are two of my favorite flavors too  :D
Maypoles look like a fun tradition.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 31, 2021, 09:54:44 PM »
About the lemon ice cream, lol.
There is a funny song we like and we sang that on the way, after we decided to go for ice cream. I'm going to translate the part about the lemon ice we sang on the way. So of course, one of the flavours had to be lemon. :) And also because I like it.
 The song goes like this:
It is summer and it is hot. Because of this, I buy lemon ice. Even if it costs a lot of money, lemon ice is my world.