Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 246566 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #945 on: May 09, 2021, 06:44:49 PM »
I have a weird relationship with Lovecraft. I am not a horror stories person and so I did not like too much what I've read by him. But I enjoy some aspects of his universe, I liked Lovecraft Country and I like to play tabletop games set on his universe.
That said, I suppose I can try some audiobooks. There are some free or very cheap options. Many years ago, I used an "audible" promotion to download Storm Front. I got bored about page 2 and even having reread the book several times. I did not understand enough to hold my interest.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 09, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
I have a weird relationship with Lovecraft. I am not a horror stories person and so I did not like too much what I've read by him. But I enjoy some aspects of his universe, I liked Lovecraft Country and I like to play tabletop games set on his universe.
That said, I suppose I can try some audiobooks. There are some free or very cheap options. Many years ago, I used an "audible" promotion to download Storm Front. I got bored about page 2 and even having reread the book several times. I did not understand enough to hold my interest.
It is not exactly an audiobook but a radio play adaption placed in the current time in England, in some ways it is better to handle than the original. A retelling. It is also with different actors with different voices.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 09, 2021, 07:32:19 PM »
That is good, makes things more interesting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 09, 2021, 10:43:52 PM »
I was never a fan of audio books in any language. When I was a kid I enjoyed a radio version of Arabian nights, but I didn't have the radio to myself so I couldn't always listen. This happened during our summer vacation to our family in a different city, where the TV didn't support Nintendo (black and white), and I ran out of books to read, and played cards till we got sick of them. After all of this, radio was fun :D I tried listening to it again a few years ago and I realized that it was only boredom that made me like it. LOL.
My mother has got covid now, and my sister on law as well. They're fine, but I hope my father doesn't catch it again. It was quite hard on him the first time.Truth is, everybody got a little bit lax about social distancing.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 11, 2021, 02:22:48 AM »
Oh, I hope they get better soon. Most people I know with COVID is getting better. The younger ones are already recovered, so I am quite relieved.

As I told the Weird some days ago, I loved the "Musicuento" (audio books-quite short, more tales- with songs) when I was a child, but after that, I rarely listened to audiobooks in my own language. One or two books of some writers I love but no more. And in English, I told you, I just can't understand enough.

I had a busy day today, I only launched the Pokemon Go around 19:00, which is telling  ;D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 12, 2021, 01:22:46 PM »
Oh, Fcrate. I hope your mother and sister in law will get better soon.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 12, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »
Lately we listen to podcasts when we can not sleep in the evening, you tend to forget that you can not sleep and it is interesting but the next time you have to sort out we’re you lost attention and drifted into sleep. Some presenters have real calming voices.

Radio can be great and podcasts are even better. And radio stations often have apps so you can pick and choose.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 15, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »
I'll be honest. I think I've never heard a podcast. Perhaps one, long ago, about some comics.

In random comments, I began watching Jupiter's Legacy. It seems a quite obvious story with a touch of Watchmen, but I like the fighs and powers. They are cool.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 16, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »
Maen all :) Been a busy couple of weeks. How is everyone?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 16, 2021, 08:13:46 PM »
Hello there! I am going to play RPG right now but I will come back here later to chat.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 17, 2021, 09:23:31 AM »
Okay.. Ouch, just closed a gate on my big toenail and turned it back on itself. Ouch....
hope you had fun at your RPG Dina. And just in case you have a spell caster character, I'm going to burn my toenail. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:32 PM »
LOL! No spellcaster. I have a Swashbuckler.
I hope your toenail is better now. Those are very, very painful.
Sorry I did not come back yesterday, after RPG we began watching something on TV, had dinner, more tV and to bed because I had an early day today (due to a Zoom meeting). Then I was busy most of the day (except for a short nap)  Among other things, we are preparing the mid-term exam for my students. Nothing easy. We will have another meeting tomorrow 9:30 a.m. to shape it.

Yesterday there was an...let's say interesting match on our National League. It was the round of 8 and my team played with its arch-rival. Problem was a couple of days ago my team had a tsunami of Covid + results. As a consequence, we had to play with a couple of young players, a couple of seasoned ones which had not been playing in a few weeks due to some reason or another, but, and here is the main problem, with a young goalkeeper who had never played in the First League. In fact, it was a reserve in the inferior categories. So, we were ready to receive a lot of goals.

But, can you believe it? The young goalkeeper did a wonderful job. My team played very well, sometimes better than the rival and the match itself ended 1-1. Sadly we still lost in the penalty kicks to define which team would continue to the following round. Even so, the goalkeeper caught one of the shots.

So, we still lost, but we did a very good job and we (the fans) are very proud of our team!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 18, 2021, 11:34:26 AM »
It's alright Dina. Glad you had fun. And it looks like your team has a promising future, no? I didn't come online either, had a rather unlucky day, where my cat got a painful case of mastitis, and I had to spend half an hour putting an ointment on it (and holding the cat so she doesn't lick it off),  and a cow stepped on a puppy's front leg (some luck she didn't turn the pup into a pupburger) and I had to splint it.
On better news, looks like my mother is fully recovered from covid. So is my sister on law, though I doubt she had covid at all :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 18, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
Oh, that is great news about your mom and sister in law but I am sorry about your unlucky day. I hope both cat and dog are better, even when it's a shame about the puppy.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 19, 2021, 03:20:23 AM »
*Pokes my head in and looks around, missing everyone*
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!