Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240402 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #930 on: May 06, 2021, 05:40:19 AM »
I didn't know about Star Wars Day. Now I do. Thanks. ;)
You are welcome, nerds should help each other  :)

I hope you and your child enjoy the movie.  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 06, 2021, 06:39:24 AM »
A Greek friend of mine introduced me to the saying a few years ago, but I didn't know about Star Wars day either.
MAEN all. Hope you and yours are in good health.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 06, 2021, 06:53:15 AM »
Good maen! I hope the same for you.
I've learnt it a couple of years ago. I love SW, so...
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 06, 2021, 07:21:07 AM »
Maen!!!
I like Star Wars too. I also like Star Trek.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 06, 2021, 03:09:13 PM »
Oh, I am a Star Trek fan too, even more than SW .But when I was a child (even when I always loved Spock) my heart was on a galaxy far, far away. I saw the original movies in the theater with my parents and they were amazing. Only later I rediscovered Star Trek and became a real fan.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 07, 2021, 03:07:34 AM »
I reread BG over the past couple of days. It's a hard book to read. Lots of bad shit happens.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 07, 2021, 06:06:06 AM »
I reread BG over the past couple of days. It's a hard book to read. Lots of bad shit happens.
My condolences. ;)
It took me a while to recover from reading it.
A friend asked me two days after I was finished, how it was. And I said, puh, I can't talk about it yet. I need some time to get over it.

Edit: oh now I see. You said REread. But still... ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:10:44 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 07, 2021, 07:01:51 AM »
I reread it shortly after finishing it. Perhaps I will reread the whole PT/BG again soon, now that it has been a while.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »
Me too. I'm going to finish Mercy Thompson, then maybe start with Sanderson and after that, I will continue the reread of the DF with Changes to Battle Ground. But I will listen to the audio books this time. I still have not listened to BG, at least I can't remember.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 07, 2021, 07:20:39 AM »
I don't do audiobooks, my oral English is not that good sucks. Also, I want to read "light of the jedi" first. I am rather busy though.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 08, 2021, 12:45:22 AM »
I think I will reread the series the moment the release date of the next book happens.

I don't do audiobooks, my oral English is not that good sucks. Also, I want to read "light of the jedi" first. I am rather busy though.
Says the person who knows 5 languages. You genius.

Spanish, English, French, Klingon, I do not remember the last one.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 08, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »
Here tv programs are subtitled and not dubbed so we are exposed to spoken English from an early age. I almost never look at the subtitles anymore.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 09, 2021, 08:13:40 AM »
Mean, weird!
We watched Neverending Story yesterday. The little one asked at the end "what? That's it? Where is the rest?"
I have seen the movie first as a child and read the book years later. For me it was more like "cool, there is more."

Today it's Mothers' Day.
They made breakfast with coffee and Prosecco. I feel very happy and loved.
This afternoon we are going to the grandparents. I'm baking a plum cake now with last year's plums.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 09, 2021, 06:10:29 PM »
Good maen, everyone!

I think I will reread the series the moment the release date of the next book happens.
 Says the person who knows 5 languages. You genius.

Spanish, English, French, Klingon, I do not remember the last one.
Amazing memory! To be honest I have not used the Klingon in too many times, I cannot mention it anymore. But I did take a few classes of it. The other language is probably Latin, which I've learnt at school. And I don't "talk" it but I can read and analyze it (more or less).

But really, I am not good at oral English. Or even French despite having studying it quite a lot (I was much better at it around 15 years ago. I could spoke French more or less fine at the time).

Here tv programs are subtitled and not dubbed so we are exposed to spoken English from an early age. I almost never look at the subtitles anymore.

When I was a child, it was unusual to have subtitled TV shows and movies only were subtitled if they were not "for children". Now, children movies often offer the two versions (subbed/subtitled). And most shows in cable are subtitled but I suppose I was too old for learnt. I still need the subtitles. i am really bad at oral English  :'(

Regen, yes, I saw the movie first too, so the book was a pleasant surprise.
And happy Mother's Day!!! (Here it is in October). Enjoy it with your family!  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 09, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
I had some French and German at school but I forgot most of it. During my studies most books were in English and I worked five years for a South African firm. I also married a half Scottish and half Welsh wife so I have to switch to English sometimes and use English with her family. The only thing that works is listening to it often and actually audio books are great for that.

But audiobooks are quite expensive if you already have bought the digital and dead tree edition. BBC also has nice podcasts and this one is really good, it is an adaption of the Lovecraft story and they did a few others too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06w5zwg
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]