Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244474 times)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #885 on: April 26, 2021, 03:25:12 AM »
((((DINA))))) ((((DC)))) ((((OTHERS IN THE SHOV))) Good night, I am drifting off.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dizzy

• Posty McPostington
  • more than you can handle
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 26, 2021, 04:06:55 AM »
Hello?

Fare thee well my friend, you take a peice of my heart with you.

Her Highness Dizzy, Divine Ruler of The Everlasting Skies, and Supreme Exalted Commander-In-Chief of the Pharaoh's Royal Air Force.  Oooh-rah!

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 26, 2021, 04:56:19 AM »
Hello?

*Is it me you're looking for?* :D

Hello to all the people I haven't met yet.
Rhythm of War was awesome. But I did find that reading depressed Kaladin's chapters a bit difficult.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dizzy

• Posty McPostington
  • more than you can handle
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 26, 2021, 05:07:18 AM »
"I can see it in your eyes..."

I haven't read RoW yet, was finishing up The Grimnoir Chronicles. RoW will be a big commitment, lol

Fare thee well my friend, you take a peice of my heart with you.

Her Highness Dizzy, Divine Ruler of The Everlasting Skies, and Supreme Exalted Commander-In-Chief of the Pharaoh's Royal Air Force.  Oooh-rah!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 26, 2021, 05:17:47 AM »
No, you made the right choice. College in the US is, more often than not, a well-structured Ponzi scheme at this point.
I have heard about that and it is sad. There are a lot of places on earth where good education is organized by the state and not that expensive or even free and a minimum quality is maintained. Wasting your time and money on bad education does not help anyone.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 26, 2021, 05:40:29 AM »
I like Swamp Thing.

I must admit, I have never read any book by Sanderson.
I've started the first Mistborn years ago, but it bored me in the first chapters, so I put it away for a later read that never came. Now it is on the shelf in the section for books that might be good to sell.
But I've heard and read that the books were good, so I can't bring myself to give it away yet. Maybe it's the translation again. The Dresden Files are really lame in translation, maybe this is what pushed me away.
I've found the first mistborn for 0,99€ in English. I'll give it a second try once I'm through with the 4th Mercy Thompson.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 26, 2021, 06:13:15 AM »
I like Swamp Thing.

I've started the first Mistborn years ago, but it bored me in the first chapters, so I put it away for a later read that never came. Now it is on the shelf in the section for books that might be good to sell.
But I've heard and read that the books were good, so I can't bring myself to give it away yet. Maybe it's the translation again. The Dresden Files are really lame in translation, maybe this is what pushed me away.
I've found the first mistborn for 0,99€ in English. I'll give it a second try once I'm through with the 4th Mercy Thompson.
I did not even try the Dutch translation. A good translator must be good in two languages and have good writing skills as well. They are underpaid and under appreciated so not all books get the attention they need.

Especially fantasy books and other genres with less status suffer from this.

Besides reading them in the original language is good for your own language skills.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 26, 2021, 06:32:46 AM »
(((((((((GW))))))))))) Sleep well

I have heard about that and it is sad. There are a lot of places on earth where good education is organized by the state and not that expensive or even free and a minimum quality is maintained. Wasting your time and money on bad education does not help anyone.
Yes, here for example  :)

Regen, I am glad you are liking Swamp Thing.
I have the feeling the DF will be bad in Spanish. I am still sore for Harry Potter. I've read Chamber of Secrets in Spanish because I couldn't find it in English at the moment, and it was much worse than Philosopher's stone, which I had read in English. (The other HP books I've read it in English).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 26, 2021, 06:56:17 AM »
((((Dina))))
You are awake!

The German Translation of the Harry Potter books is really good. So are some of the other fantasy books I like to read. But not all of them. Some are even good despite of bad translation.

I've read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss in German. I had the first book from a coworker and the second from the library. It was beautifully translated. Once the next book is out, I'm going to buy the others in English. I'm very excited to read the original. I'm a bit nerdy about how a story is written. And I love authors who can use their words in artful ways, if you know what I mean.

But now I have to do school stuff. The little one is learning the letter C.
And cursive handwriting. I'm not sure this is the right word.
As there are not many German words that begin with C, there are mostly English words in use here to read and write, like Computer, Cowboy, Clown, Comic.
There is a lot of C in the middle or the end of words, but mostly it is in the combinations CH and CK, which is not the same as a single C.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 26, 2021, 07:19:53 AM »
The C is a complicated letter. Sometimes pronounced as a k like Cow and Celt but sometimes as an S like Caesar and Celsius. And if followed by an H it is different again like in Scottish loch.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 26, 2021, 07:27:42 AM »
That's right. Must be the reason they always learn it so late in the school year.  ;)
Now there is only X, Y and Q missing.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 26, 2021, 06:26:04 PM »
Good maen everyone!
How funny that there are no many words beginning with C in German. There are a lot in Spanish.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 26, 2021, 10:03:49 PM »
I like Swamp Thing.

I don't know that Mistborn is really a good starting point for Sanderson. It's a series that gets significantly better on rereads when you can connect the dots on stuff you learn earlier. Vin gets a lot more interesting as the story goes on but the early story does drag a bit.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 26, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
*glomps DC* Good to see you here  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 27, 2021, 12:50:47 AM »
I don't know that Mistborn is really a good starting point for Sanderson. It's a series that gets significantly better on rereads when you can connect the dots on stuff you learn earlier. Vin gets a lot more interesting as the story goes on but the early story does drag a bit.
I think this is an accurate assessment. It was actually the Wheel of Time series that got me into Sanderson. He breathed new life into the series making it funny and allowing the story to move forward again. He turned Egwene from one of my least fav characters to maybe my second fav. I loved her ending arc.

I've read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss in German. I had the first book from a coworker and the second from the library. It was beautifully translated. Once the next book is out, I'm going to buy the others in English. I'm very excited to read the original. I'm a bit nerdy about how a story is written. And I love authors who can use their words in artful ways, if you know what I mean.
Listen, I don't mean to break your heart, only manage expectations. Did you hear the uproar last summer about it?
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?