Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240400 times)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #870 on: April 25, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »
@GW:
We watched Swamp Thing today and something weird happened. I fell asleep somewhere during episode 6 and woke up somewhere during episode 7. And I was confused, because I remembered the dialogue, music and other sounds from falling asleep. And then I saw the pictures including the sounds again after waking up. I mean, I heard the sounds twice. Once while being asleep and the second time including the visual. And I asked: did we watch the same episode twice? But we didn't. I'm confused now. So I'm going to bed.

I liked both new books, though I believe they suffered from the splitting. There seemed to be scenes included that were not necessary just to make each book longer and a book on it's own. In PT it was the feeling of a long prologue before the action finally started, though I liked the first chapters but it felt like he had several ideas how to begin and decided to just use all of them.
And BG had too much battle in it.
But this has been discussed in the spoiler section a lot, so I won't say anything about it any more.

This year has 4 book releases I'm interested in, and one of them is already out. The others will be in August, November and December, if I remember correctly.
The first was an Alpha&Omega book (Mercy Thompson Spin-off by Patricia Briggs), the others are Blood&Paper (not sure about the correct title) by Kevin Hearne, the next Outlander book by Diana Gabaldon and the last Alex Verus by Benedict Jacka.
I'm looking forward to those.
Sounds like you had an out of Body experience. So you are liking Swamp thing?

I dont think ive heard of any of those. I know the name Patricia Briggs but cant place it.

I have a couple books Im Looking forward to.
The two Star Wars Books that already came out this Year. Light of the Jedi and Into the Dark were both great. Looking forward to the next one.
A book called Rabbits which is based on the Podcast of the same name. Empire of the Vampire By Jay Kristoff. As well as the last Expanse novel, Leviathan Falls By James A Corey which comes out at some point this year.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 25, 2021, 11:35:16 PM »
I never went to real college so maybe I would have learned so much more. I just read random non fiction books now and look stuff up.
No, you made the right choice. College in the US is, more often than not, a well-structured Ponzi scheme at this point.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 25, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »
No, you made the right choice. College in the US is, more often than not, a well-structured Ponzi scheme at this point.
Hey (((DC)))   Didnt you go to college?
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 26, 2021, 12:18:18 AM »
Hey (((DC)))   Didnt you go to college?
I did. For the most part, I regret it. The field I got my degree in is largely nonexistent without a masters or a PhD which I was lied to about from the beginning. I was never interested in grad school, which made that realization deeply frustrating.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 26, 2021, 12:25:13 AM »
I did. For the most part, I regret it. The field I got my degree in is largely nonexistent without a masters or a PhD which I was lied to about from the beginning. I was never interested in grad school, which made that realization deeply frustrating.
I'm sorry to hear that. So what are you doing now?
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 26, 2021, 12:54:25 AM »
I'm working at a grocery store until I can get into one of the many fields I should have gone into that will look at my resume and go "Why would I hire you?" before they toss it thanks to not having the degree they want.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 26, 2021, 12:57:28 AM »
I'm working at a grocery store until I can get into one of the many fields I should have gone into that will look at my resume and go "Why would I hire you?" before they toss it thanks to not having the degree they want.
Well shoot, I'm sure you will find something. What fields are you trying to get into?

Also what is Mayochup?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:39:51 AM by ۞†Grey Warden†۞ »
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 26, 2021, 01:46:07 AM »
Well shoot, I'm sure you will find something. What fields are you trying to get into?

Also what is Mayochup?
I'd just like to get something with "engineer" in the title, given that I have an engineering degree. Though really at this point I'd settle for something that lets me rent my own apartment and have spending money on the side. A lofty goal, I know, but it's what I want.

Mayochup is an abomination. It's a combination of ketchup and the worst condiment ever created: mayonnaise.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 26, 2021, 01:47:50 AM »
Hi people!
I am glad to see GW, Don and DC are here  :) :) :) :)
DC, so, perhaps you should try for a master or Ph.D.?
Don, I'll answer your PM soon, I promise.
Regen, are you enjoying Swamp Thing, besides falling asleep in one episode?
GW, I bought Light of the Jedi. I even began reading it, only a few pages, but then I felt too sad and decided to take a break...and then life happened and I did not take it back. But I will, I am interested in the new approach to the High Republic.

Finally Raya and the last Dragon became available in my Disney+, so I watched it yesterday. I liked it!

Mayonnaise + ketchup is called Salsa Golf here, because one of our Nobel prize winners (we only have 5) invented it in a Golf Club. It is quite common a condiment here.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 26, 2021, 02:11:01 AM »
I'd just like to get something with "engineer" in the title, given that I have an engineering degree. Though really at this point I'd settle for something that lets me rent my own apartment and have spending money on the side. A lofty goal, I know, but it's what I want.

Mayochup is an abomination. It's a combination of ketchup and the worst condiment ever created: mayonnaise.
Keep your head up. You are a smart guy, it'll happen for you soon.
I'm a fan of Siracha and Mayo. But that sounds horrible. Sirachha and ranch is my favorite combo tho.

Dina. I'm sorry to hear that you were sad. It really is a good book. The sequel, which feels very different in style is much better for character growth.
I've been meaning to watch Raya. I have heard great things about it.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 26, 2021, 02:23:04 AM »
Oh, I am sure the book is good, it's just that in the first pages there is a lot of death and angst. I am sure it will be better, it just...I think I was not in the right mindset at the moment.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 26, 2021, 02:25:34 AM »
Oh, I am sure the book is good, it's just that in the first pages there is a lot of death and angst. I am sure it will be better, it just...I think I was not in the right mindset at the moment.

I think I understand. I have stopped many books that way, most recently Rhythm of War by Brandan Sanderson

I rather am enjoying the Nevers. I'm torn between loving the main girls friendship and wanting to Ship them.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 26, 2021, 02:28:49 AM »
Hi people!
I am glad to see GW, Don and DC are here  :) :) :) :)
DC, so, perhaps you should try for a master or Ph.D.?
Don, I'll answer your PM soon, I promise.
Regen, are you enjoying Swamp Thing, besides falling asleep in one episode?
GW, I bought Light of the Jedi. I even began reading it, only a few pages, but then I felt too sad and decided to take a break...and then life happened and I did not take it back. But I will, I am interested in the new approach to the High Republic.

Finally Raya and the last Dragon became available in my Disney+, so I watched it yesterday. I liked it!

Mayonnaise + ketchup is called Salsa Golf here, because one of our Nobel prize winners (we only have 5) invented it in a Golf Club. It is quite common a condiment here.
I'd be more inclined to get a masters or phd if I hadn't heard horror stories from the people I know in grad school. There's also the money aspect, since I've been informed that your experience with both will be heavily dependent on funding, the lab I'm in etc etc (all of which I'm sure you're intimately familiar with. :P )

Keep your head up. You are a smart guy, it'll happen for you soon.
I'm a fan of Siracha and Mayo. But that sounds horrible. Sirachha and ranch is my favorite combo tho.

Dina. I'm sorry to hear that you were sad. It really is a good book. The sequel, which feels very different in style is much better for character growth.
I've been meaning to watch Raya. I have heard great things about it.
It'll happen eventually, but the in-between is quite annoying.

I think I understand. I have stopped many books that way, most recently Rhythm of War by Brandan Sanderson

I rather am enjoying the Nevers. I'm torn between loving the main girls friendship and wanting to Ship them.
Apparently a lot of people felt that way about RoW. I really liked the book, personally. It didn't feel too dark.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:51 AM »
I'd be more inclined to get a masters or phd if I hadn't heard horror stories from the people I know in grad school. There's also the money aspect, since I've been informed that your experience with both will be heavily dependent on funding, the lab I'm in etc etc (all of which I'm sure you're intimately familiar with. :P )
It'll happen eventually, but the in-between is quite annoying.
Apparently a lot of people felt that way about RoW. I really liked the book, personally. It didn't feel too dark.
It just kind of bummed me out. I'm gonna read it eventually because i loved the others, i just need a few books in between. I'll eventually hit a deadline of the next one coming out and knock it out in a weekend. I need a kick in the butt.

Also if you need help looking over your resume, or anything. Please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:38:24 AM by ۞†Grey Warden†۞ »
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 26, 2021, 03:17:16 AM »
I only watched one episode so far, I intend to continue though.

DC, yes, I understand what you mean. In fact, many of my colleagues never finished their ph.D. (or even began it). It is not easy.
Missing you, Md