Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240429 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2021, 05:01:28 PM »
I don't know if its a thing in Argentina but in America, there is a common teaching joke that "mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell"   its interesting because they made a baby with three parents where the kid got their mitochondrial DNA from a third parent.
DC how are you doing?
I mean I have learned more random info from just curiously looking up stuff than I did in most science classes in school. More specific things I guess.
Depends on the school and the subject. I learned so many details at university that my head could not contain them all thirty years later.

If you want a global overview Wikipedia is wonderful. If you want to know more there are really wonderful popular science books. But for a really in depth study something not that wide nothing beats a good university.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2021, 05:16:36 PM »
Depends on the school and the subject. I learned so many details at university that my head could not contain them all thirty years later.

If you want a global overview Wikipedia is wonderful. If you want to know more there are really wonderful popular science books. But for a really in depth study something not that wide nothing beats a good university.

I never went to real college so maybe I would have learned so much more. I just read random non fiction books now and look stuff up.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 25, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »
I never went to real college so maybe I would have learned so much more. I just read random non fiction books now and look stuff up.
Much more about much less probably. It is all very specialized.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »
Much more about much less probably. It is all very specialized.
What did you major in?
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 25, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »
What did you major in?
Physical chemistry. I did a lot of measurements on extremely thin solutions of long big molecules. Viscosity and so on. As I said I forgot most of it because I became a programmer.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 25, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
Gotcha. Missed that. Was there a specific thing that caused you to switch to programming or was it just something you enjoyed and turned into a career?
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 25, 2021, 06:25:01 PM »
Gotcha. Missed that. Was there a specific thing that caused you to switch to programming or was it just something you enjoyed and turned into a career?
I had no real programming experience at the time but I knew my math.

Just no job opportunities in chemistry at the time, far more graduates than new openings. The big companies like Philips were closing their labs.

And then came the IT boom in the nineties. If you had a good education in some other field so they thought you could do it you could get a course and on the job training. They were that desperate to get people. The rest is history.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 25, 2021, 06:31:57 PM »
I had no real programming experience at the time but I knew my math.

Just no job opportunities in chemistry at the time, far more graduates than new openings. The big companies like Philips were closing their labs.

And then came the IT boom in the nineties. If you had a good education in some other field so they thought you could do it you could get a course and on the job training. They were that desperate to get people. The rest is history.
Its amazing how sometimes things just happen at the right time and change the trajectory of your life.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 25, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »
Its amazing how sometimes things just happen at the right time and change the trajectory of your life.
Hard work is not enough. You need some luck too. But it is no accident that my wife found a job at the same time. Along with a lot of people.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 25, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »
Hello, my Weirdoes.

I suppose it's that time to do my biannual check-in. (Or is it semi-annual? I don't remember the last time I posted.  Either six months ago or two years ago.  One of those.)

I'm still alive.  Doing fairly well, in fact. 

I'm still an asshole, and people seem to tolerate me anyway.  I'm being told that I have to grow up and work on that stuff.  I suppose I knew it was coming sooner of later, so I'm giving it the old college try.  Results are mixed.

Hope all is well in the SHOV.
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 25, 2021, 07:30:51 PM »
Oh yeah,

and I would also like to take the opportunity to gloat a little..

Mirror Mirror has garnered a lot more interest than Peace Talks in public appearances.

Jim is obviously working on a double release.  Peace Talks  has been in the can for some time now.

:P

I correctly called the double-release of Dresden Files books two years ago.  :P  I was thinking it would be Mirror Mirror coming out and not Battle Ground.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 25, 2021, 08:00:03 PM »
Oh yeah,

I correctly called the double-release of Dresden Files books two years ago.  :P  I was thinking it would be Mirror Mirror coming out and not Battle Ground.
DON! apparently Biannual can mean either twice a year or every two years. Its confusing and wild.
Did you enjoy the two new books?
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 25, 2021, 08:07:00 PM »
Hey!  It's good to see you here.

I did.  I feel like I missed a lot.  I haven't had time to give them the attentive reread I usually like to do with a new Dresden book.  Overall, they were cool.  I'm happy to still be excited about the series.

How's tricks?

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 25, 2021, 08:24:41 PM »
I wasnt a big fan of peace talks but i really enjoyed Battle Grounds so it brought me back. I'm doing well just getting by like everyone else. Good to see you here. 
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 25, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
Oh yeah,

Oh, wow. You saw the future there in a way.

@GW:
We watched Swamp Thing today and something weird happened. I fell asleep somewhere during episode 6 and woke up somewhere during episode 7. And I was confused, because I remembered the dialogue, music and other sounds from falling asleep. And then I saw the pictures including the sounds again after waking up. I mean, I heard the sounds twice. Once while being asleep and the second time including the visual. And I asked: did we watch the same episode twice? But we didn't. I'm confused now. So I'm going to bed.

I liked both new books, though I believe they suffered from the splitting. There seemed to be scenes included that were not necessary just to make each book longer and a book on it's own. In PT it was the feeling of a long prologue before the action finally started, though I liked the first chapters but it felt like he had several ideas how to begin and decided to just use all of them.
And BG had too much battle in it.
But this has been discussed in the spoiler section a lot, so I won't say anything about it any more.

This year has 4 book releases I'm interested in, and one of them is already out. The others will be in August, November and December, if I remember correctly.
The first was an Alpha&Omega book (Mercy Thompson Spin-off by Patricia Briggs), the others are Blood&Paper (not sure about the correct title) by Kevin Hearne, the next Outlander book by Diana Gabaldon and the last Alex Verus by Benedict Jacka.
I'm looking forward to those.