Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240636 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #840 on: April 21, 2021, 07:53:11 PM »
Good maen, Regen!
I watched Swamp Thing and found it all right. I specially liked the Swamp Thing itself, I mean, how he is done visually, and the appearance of other DC characters that I won't mention (I don't like to spoil anything).
I am not so fond of zombies. I watched several seasons of the Walking Dead but I abandoned it. Same with Fear the Walking Dear (I watched only a season of that). I get bored easily. If you are interested, a friend recommended me an Asian show on that topic. It's called "Kingdom" and it's in Netflix. Not too long either.

I began watching "the Falcon and the Winter Soldier". The first episode was just fine (IMHO) but they were apart from each other, in the second they are together and I liked it much more. Their banter is funny and you can feel their love for Steve Rogers.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 21, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »
Thanks, Dina.
I'll see, if I can find it. We don't have Netflix, but sometimes you can find those on amazon video.
We also watched a few seasons of TWD. It was interesting at first, but at one point I started to dislike it. It became too brutal for my taste. So we switched to something more humorous: Z Nation.
We liked that a lot.
Actually I never liked zombie movies before TWD. Most of the movies showed the outbreak. And they were over, when either everyone previous alive was dead or zombies themselves, when the last remaining protagonists were able to flee, or the more optimistic version: when all the zombies were defeated (though I can't remember having seen any ending like that).
But TWD was the first series I knew that showed life after the outbreak. So I was interested.

Z Nation has funnier zombies and definitely crazy ideas. ;)

The last series we watched was Twelve Monkeys. At first I wasn't sure, if I wanted to watch a show in which a virus kills almost all human life. But basically it was more of a time travel series. With a very cheesy happy ending, but we really liked it in spite of the missing logic and paradoxes. LOL

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 21, 2021, 09:21:35 PM »
Yes, the premise of TWD was interesting, but for me it became old after a while. And I decided to take a break from zombies, so no Z-nation for me.

I liked the movie 12 monkeys but I was not interested in a show about it.

I don´t remember if I told you but I also began watching the new Kung-Fu. It's in CW, with a female lead. I saw two episodes and so far I liked it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 21, 2021, 10:03:13 PM »
What new Kung Fu??? OMG, I'm so uninformed, lol.
Is it a remake of the series with David Carradine?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 21, 2021, 10:36:46 PM »
It is, in a very loose way. The setting is current age. A young Chinese-American woman from San Francisco gets fed of her family, specially her mom, and when they are in China she runs and ends in a Shaolin Temple, with a female Teacher and female monks with amazing warrior skills. I know, it's silly. But if you can roll with it, the rest is fine, because after an attack (ninjas!) that destroys the temple, kills the Master and steals a Very Important and May Be Supernatural sword, our lead goes back home. And she has an interesting family, an interesting ex, a new possible romantic interest...
So, you see, the only things in common with the David Carradine one was Shaolin, Shaolin master, San Francisco and a generic Search for Justice Quest.

It's a very new show, it is not weird that you don't know it about it. Every time I see an Arrowverse show, they promote "Kung-fu", so I decided to try it
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »
((((((((GW)))))) Oh? Do tell? (you said your bday was an eventful one).
So, how is the new place?  :)
(((((DINA))))))
My new place is nice though i havent fully unpacked I still have 300 plus books just lying on the ground waiting for me to invent a brand new book organizational system.
I got sent to Texas for work and was supposed to only be there til thursday. Well they "forgot" to tell us they put competitors fluids. I had to flush their entire machines. Then they had billing issues which i helped them resolve. Then I stayed to help them on my birthday to get them running and they had the gall to get mad at me. They impatiently stood over my shoulder. The one guy leaned over so far he fell on me and we broke a part on the machine and they tried to blame me for it and tried to get a free replacement. At that point I called my boss and got out of there. It was frustrating. I spent the rest of the day traveling.
I have also watched the Nevers.  I am enjoying it so far.

@Regenbogan  Thank you! I just actually moved down the street to an apartment building that wasn't inconvenient to get in and out of.
Have you watched the Man in the High Castle? its pretty good. Please let me know what you think of Swamp thing.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 21, 2021, 11:37:46 PM »
Yes, the premise of TWD was interesting, but for me it became old after a while. And I decided to take a break from zombies, so no Z-nation for me.

I liked the movie 12 monkeys but I was not interested in a show about it.

I don´t remember if I told you but I also began watching the new Kung-Fu. It's in CW, with a female lead. I saw two episodes and so far I liked it.

The 12 monkeys show is good for 2 seasons and then it kind of loses its way
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 22, 2021, 12:12:35 AM »
I am glad your new place is fine, and I hope you can enjoy it a lot now that days are becoming warmer for you. Also, it's fine about unpackaging, take your time. And find a good home for all those poor books.

I am so sorry about your troubles on your birthday but I am glad you are not in Texas anymore (not because it's Texas but because it is not your home).

(((((((((GW))))))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:17 AM »
I am glad your new place is fine, and I hope you can enjoy it a lot now that days are becoming warmer for you. Also, it's fine about unpackaging, take your time. And find a good home for all those poor books.

I am so sorry about your troubles on your birthday but I am glad you are not in Texas anymore (not because it's Texas but because it is not your home).

(((((((((GW))))))))))
Aww its alright. Thank you (((((DINA))))) I had a decent day after so it ended up all right. Just chilling.

So in my DND campaign I created a lava joust tournament where they had to pick rocks based on speed and strength. they had two points to spend between the two. The Speed would aid in attack and strength in not getting knocked out. Dina the Cleric made it past the first round with a fast rock!\
How have you been?

Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:19 AM »
Aww its alright. Thank you (((((DINA))))) I had a decent day after so it ended up all right. Just chilling.

All right then  :)
So in my DND campaign I created a lava joust tournament where they had to pick rocks based on speed and strength. they had two points to spend between the two. The Speed would aid in attack and strength in not getting knocked out. Dina the Cleric made it past the first round with a fast rock!\
Yay! Good for her!  ;D

I've been well. I have classes tomorrow, hopefully it will be a good one. And on Friday I have a Zoom with my boss and coworkers about a paper we are writing. So, looking forward to the weekend for rest and some RPG too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2021, 01:05:44 AM »
Nice! Whats the paper about if you don't mind saying?

Glad you are getting in some RPG this weekend! What are you playing as?

Sir  Reginald.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2021, 09:24:28 PM »
It's an analysis of mitochondrial DNA of the fly I work with. We made some general genetic analyses and proposed how that fly arrived at our country and how it spread over it.

And I am playing Pathfinder. My character is a really  dangerous Swashbuckler (we began playing about two years ago. We are quite overpowered right now, so I am not kidding about my character being dangerous. She is also a very cute catfolk.)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 25, 2021, 05:05:07 AM »
Mitochondrial DNA is fascinating. I really wish there were more opportunities for biological research that didn't involve academia and/or grad school. It would be so much fun.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 25, 2021, 07:01:59 AM »
Mitochondrial DNA is fascinating. I really wish there were more opportunities for biological research that didn't involve academia and/or grad school. It would be so much fun.
I did chemistry in the eighties in Leiden. It was not my speciality but I did some courses. It was one of the more demanding courses because of the enormous amount of facts, names and other things you had to learn by heart before you could even start understanding things in depth. The technology has improved by now but you needed a lab and infrastructure an a lot of time to do meaningful experiments and a lot of time with professionals to learn how to do it properly.

Forty years later if I want to know how science has progressed in this field I would just go to wikipedia and then read some popular science book.

It is really not worth it unless you spend loads of time and money on it and then you can better go to school.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 25, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
It's an analysis of mitochondrial DNA of the fly I work with. We made some general genetic analyses and proposed how that fly arrived at our country and how it spread over it.
And I am playing Pathfinder. My character is a really  dangerous Swashbuckler (we began playing about two years ago. We are quite overpowered right now, so I am not kidding about my character being dangerous. She is also a very cute catfolk.)
I don't know if its a thing in Argentina but in America, there is a common teaching joke that "mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell"   its interesting because they made a baby with three parents where the kid got their mitochondrial DNA from a third parent.

DC how are you doing?

I did chemistry in the eighties in Leiden. It was not my speciality but I did some courses. It was one of the more demanding courses because of the enormous amount of facts, names and other things you had to learn by heart before you could even start understanding things in depth. The technology has improved by now but you needed a lab and infrastructure an a lot of time to do meaningful experiments and a lot of time with professionals to learn how to do it properly.
Forty years later if I want to know how science has progressed in this field I would just go to wikipedia and then read some popular science book.
It is really not worth it unless you spend loads of time and money on it and then you can better go to school.
I mean I have learned more random info from just curiously looking up stuff than I did in most science classes in school. More specific things I guess.
Sir  Reginald.