Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 245052 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #735 on: April 01, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
I'm not sure I know about the bird bomb meaning good luck, but it sounds familiar.
About the spilled wine: here it is not only wine but any beverage spilled by a person on a table. If the liquid spilled by another one lands on the stomach of a young woman, it is said to mean, that she is going to be the next one pregnant.
Pretty silly. Often proven wrong but sometimes right, so it is valid. LOL.

About April Fool's day. I've read that it has unclear origins somewhere in Europe somewhere between the 14th and 16th century depending in which wiki you look.

Lucky traditions I can think of:
Knocking with your knuckles three times on wood means good luck.
To breath on dice before throwing.
To throw salt over your shoulder.
Chimney sweepers are said to bring good luck.
And of course finding four-leafed clover.

The birthday was nice. In the afternoon there were drops of rain. But we insisted on staying outside for a long time telling each other that it wasn't raining. It will stop soon. But then the cake got too wet and we decided to rescue it.
The birthday girl got some of the Barbie Disney princesses she wished for. She wants to collect them all. I know she is serious, when she says that. She is lucky to have so many aunts and uncles and grown-up cousins. So there are a lot of people she can tell which presents she'd like. LOL. So they asked and I provided them with the links to order the dolls.
And now we have a happy child. And lots of dolls.
And a full stomach.
The chess cake is gone. The Greek food was very good. And we still have half of the plum cake for tomorrow.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 01, 2021, 09:02:34 PM »
LOL! I love the Disney princesses. I have an Ariel someplace. No other Barbie Disney princesses, but I have a Wonder Woman Barbie which I treasure (I also have a DC Superhero girls  Wonder Woman doll which is awesome too. I have plenty of Wonder Women. One of them was a gift from 3 people of this forum.)

We have the four-leafed clover too and the breath on the dice. We just touch wood (3 knocks sounds familiar but it is not necessary) when we want to prevent a jinx. Like when you say that all is going very well and then touch wood so not to jinx it. A twist on that tradition is that said wood cannot have legs, so you can't use a table or chair, you have to find a door, wood wall, shelves...)

I remember red things against the Evil Eye, white rabbit legs, a couple of decades ago everyone here had small red horns (like from a bull or something) trinkets "against envy".

Bad luck
Open an umbrella indoors
Walk under a ladder
wishing someone "happy birthday" because the actual birthday
Number 13, specially Tuesday 13 (yes, not Friday. Tuesday)
My family said there was also bad luck to have you measured (as that is what the funerary person would do if you die, to have the casket done for you). So you were supposed to use a ribbon or something to have your shape and then you measure that ribbon. But my husband family had not that tradition, so I don't know how spread it is.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 01, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
@Dina: yes, I'm a Muslim, but I read the occasional reference to the Bible in some novels. Our own story of the birth of Christ is somewhat different.
@Regen: glad you enjoyed your day. And more cake with coffee tomorrow! :D
Here they used to say (And I think still do in some places/older people) Touch wood when you're speaking about a possible bad future so that it doesn't actually happen. And as Dina said, to prevent jinxing of good fortune. Also they used to spray salt seven times on happy occasions like weddings, etc to prevent evil eye.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 02, 2021, 07:39:59 PM »
Good maen everyone!
I am sure there are many good/bad luck traditions that I am not remembering now.

I had empanadas today! (corn, tomato+basil+cheese, cheese+onion). No meat for me today (Good Friday).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 03, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
Sounds delicious Dina. No meat? But that recipe almost begs for slices of chicken breasts.
Question: are empanadas crispy? You did mention once that they were fried.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 03, 2021, 09:49:35 PM »
Empanadas can be baked or fried. Bakes are not crispy at all, fried are a little crunchy but not that much either. Most people liked fried empanadas better but I actually prefer the baked one, because the filling is less juicy.

I am also not particularly inlove of chicken-filled empanadas (hubby likes them a lot though). The more classical Argentinian empanada is, of course, the (cow) meat one. Those are delicious and my favorite. But I won't eat meat on Good Friday (actually, I don't eat meat on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, my personal choice). But Sunday will have meat (beef, probably) and chocolate eggs).
Missing you, Md 

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 03, 2021, 10:53:08 PM »
It has been many years since I have graced this bar. I still recognize many denizens
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 03, 2021, 10:58:42 PM »
Ah, you are one of the old guard! I remember your name and your signature.
Welcome back, Cephis. The bar is open for you as always. Grab a drink, my treat  :)

How are you doing?
Missing you, Md 

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 03, 2021, 11:15:19 PM »
Thank you Dina, I sort is tapered off when Jim stopped coming out with his annual two books a year,  who did he think he was Stephen King?  I've since moved from Mac's brown to cloudy IPAS. Its been less than a decadeI think. I got a wife, lost a wife and moved back to Chicago.  How are you? It's very similar to coming to a bar that you haven't been to in a while.  The decor is the same,  but you remember it being busier
Ah, you are one of the old guard! I remember your name and your signature.
Welcome back, Cephis. The bar is open for you as always. Grab a drink, my treat  :)

How are you doing?
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 03, 2021, 11:41:25 PM »
Yes, it has been much, much busier. Many people moved to other places, like Facebook or Twitter or I don't know what, but the lights are still on here.

I am glad, thank you. I managed to keep the same hubby and both of us love working from home due to pandemics. I am a TA at university and next week I will begin my second year of dictating my classes online. Hopefully it will be easier this time, even when we have more students (distance allows us to have students from many distant provinces, and even from other countries).

Well, have you read PT and BG yet?

Happy Easter Sunday (for tomorrow)  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 04, 2021, 08:41:56 AM »
Hello, Cephis.
I'm relatively new here. I'm a medical laboratory technician.

@all
Happy Easter Sunday!

I played easter bunny today and almost got busted. The kid got up early because she wanted to watch the bunny hiding things. I told her to go back to sleep. The bunny doesn't come, when children are watching. My mother told me she texted her earlier to ask if she thought the bunny was real.
I will act like my parents did with me. Never admit, but never deny.
Technically it was my mother's fault, because she let herself be seen last year, as she put something into the easter nest. I explained, that the bunny left things with her, because it didn't know, we wouldn't be allowed to visit, so grandma corrected the error.  8)

We will visit them today, but stay outside. I hope it won't be too cold. There will be cake and I made chocolate muffins.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 04, 2021, 10:55:14 AM »
Hello Cephis. I'm relatively older than Regen :D
Happy Easter, people. If anybody is scared of getting fat, I'll take those chocolate eggs off of your hands. I'm that nice a guy.
@Dina: To be honest, I prefer meat to be an ingredient of any meal. Only economic and health awareness stop me from a 100 percent carnivorous diet :P
Ok the kittens are hungry, and the mother is out sunning herself somewhere. I'll go boil some milk.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 04, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »
Hello Cephis. I'm relatively older than Regen :D
Happy Easter, people. If anybody is scared of getting fat, I'll take those chocolate eggs off of your hands. I'm that nice a guy.
Thank you. You are too kind. Would you eat chocolate bunnies, too? We have three different kinds. But I'm afraid, the kids want to get fat. ;)
I tried to get some chocolate from them without success.

Is the milk for the kittens?

It is about 22°C outside in the sun. Some grey clouds at the hills in the west. This is where most of the weather comes from. Not sure about the rain. I hope, this time we can eat the cake without water from above, LOL.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:11:18 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 04, 2021, 12:45:28 PM »
The milk of course is for chocolate milk. Mmmmm
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 04, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
The milk is for the kittens, yes. For me, I just drank some cold. It's 29 degrees here.