Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244049 times)

Offline RSL

• Participant
  • I ink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #600 on: February 08, 2021, 03:29:11 AM »
The prettiest pats of wisconsin are the forests in  Northern WI, the southeast corner where Wisconsin Dells are and probably the Kettle Moraine area- southeast of us, but, I guess the Fox River Valley is okay -- mostly farmland in this area.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

suus 'semper aliquid

Dance With The Universe, md.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 08, 2021, 04:15:01 AM »
Sounds pretty indeed. I am afraid I don't remember what part of Wisconsin she was staying at the time.
She was one of my best friends at high school, I still remember many of our conversations. For instance, she was the first person to speak to me about Lord of the Rings. Or Dune (which I never read9. Or mists of Avalon (which I never read either). The last thing reminded me that I still want to see Cursed, a Netflix show about the Lady of the Lake (or so I think).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
Finally, Mab has found time to remember us, too. She probably was occupied in Wisconsin.  ;)
But now it is very cold here. The snow immediately turns to ice after landing on surfaces.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 10, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
So dangerous, I feel I would spend the Winter falling in the floor if I lived in such a place.I am quite clumsy and I have fallen several times in the street just because I tripped on or I slide off, and that is in snowless streets!  :o. I can only imagine how many times I would fall in a place with snow, not even ice.

Meanwhile, I had icecream! 3 flavors. Tangerine, "alfajor" which has chocolate, and vasuveda (which is lemon and basil). This is a place quite fancy, the ice cream (gelato style, I think you call them) are delicious.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 10, 2021, 07:37:10 PM »
You just need good shoes. And no sudden movements. ;D

Funny thing today. I was in the supermarket when I suddenly heard a cat
meowing very noisy. Sounded almost exactly like my cat. I looked up, asked "Katze?" (Cat) and found a baby in a shopping cart staring at me and crying "MEOW MEOW...!!!" I had to laugh very hard and the parents looked at me irritated.  :o
It sounded like a very loud and grumpy cat.

Edit: We throw gravel on the sidewalks after removing most of the snow. So one can walk without slipping.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 07:39:39 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 10, 2021, 09:52:42 PM »
LOL! I've noticed that sometimes babies cry quite like meowing, I realized that because sometimes in my apartment we hear a neighbor baby, and sometimes those babies (different babies along the years) made me think they are cats.

I am pleased with the cat in one of the stores I bought my groceries because she is friendly and I can pet her. It feels so good.

Today is our anniversary, so we are indulging in things we are not enjoying other days. One of those things? We order a table of cheeses (an assortment of cheeses) for our dinner. It will be delicious  :) :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 10, 2021, 10:56:56 PM »
Happy anniversary!

For me it was always the other way around. Cats outside sounding like babies. The little guy today didn't look like he was crying, more like he was telling me something important. He had such a serious expression on his face.

It would have been weird to see a cat in that supermarket. Usually they don't let animals in because of hygiene. At least not in the city.
In our village there are some cats that accompany their humans everywhere. One red tomcat is known to the whole village. He is always there at every event in the village. Sometimes he is in the kindergarten, sometimes in the school. I even met him at the river once.
He doesn't visit us any more since we have Bella.  ;)
She makes it clear that she is the boss and he is not allowed in her territory.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 11, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »
Thanks!
Yes, here is the same about supermarkets, but this one is a local store, a small one, which I don't think many inspectors will control. Also, I don't think salubrity is a problem as they mostly sell things that are pre-packaged and, due to covid, I disinfect what I buy anyways.

I understand Bella but I hope you still see the tomcat often in the village.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 11, 2021, 07:33:29 AM »
Haven't seen him for weeks, but I know his human servants, lol. He is still around, they say.
Bella does not stay outside for long in the cold. Understandable. I would do the same if I had no warm shoes. ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 11, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
LOL! Cats like to be warm. The tomcat probably found some place to be cozy in Winter  :)

One of my cats (many years ago) managed to burnt his fur with an electric heater because he loved to stay very, very close to it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 11, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »
MAEN all. My 11 years old cousin could make cat sounds perfectly. For every mood and age. We were having a family BBQ last month (If you can call it that during covid) and she meowed near where I was stacking the steaks that were done. Gave me a bit of a scare trying to find the little thief before we all went hungry.
As for warmth, my cat loves sleeping under the blankets with me. She usually comes in late at night while I'm sleeping and gives me a nudge on the head, so that I can lift the blanket for her. :D
@Regen:Bella kicks out males from her place? Weird. I know  only female cats have a territory, but my cats in the past only kicked out other females, they don't mind the males.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 11, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »
Oh yes, the feeling of sleeping with a cat under your blankets is wonderful!

our cheeses last night were delicious, and we have some leftovers. We also have a dessert that we call a "vigilante" which is cheese (a soft creamy one) with
quince cheese
or a sweet potato one.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »
@Fcrate:
Yes, she kicks out every other cat. Except the very young ones.
My Darla always slept under my blanket, too.

@Dina:
The cheeses sound delicious. LOL vigilante cheese! I had lasagna today at work. Tomorrow we plan to order sushi.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 11, 2021, 11:14:47 PM »
Minor correction, is not vigilante cheese, the dessert is called just "vigilante". It's because "vigilante" is what we call the policeman of the street. Years ago, the owners of restaurants and bars gave the policeman of their street a free serving of cheese and a quince or sweet potato solid jelly as a "reward" for their work. And a way to have them with more energy. In time, that combination was called "vigilante".
It's a classic  :D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 11, 2021, 11:57:38 PM »
Minor correction, is not vigilante cheese, the dessert is called just "vigilante". It's because "vigilante" is what we call the policeman of the street. Years ago, the owners of restaurants and bars gave the policeman of their street a free serving of cheese and a quince or sweet potato solid jelly as a "reward" for their work. And a way to have them with more energy. In time, that combination was called "vigilante".
It's a classic  :D
Aaaaah! That's cool.  :)

Today when I came home my cat greeted me with her ugly meow. Most of the time she uses only her intimidating voice to scare off trespassing cats. Surprisingly it
often works.