Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240652 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
LOL. With all this talk about cheese, I had to think about this hilarious Buffy episode, where they are all in some sort of disturbing dream sequences and everywhere you suddenly see this weird guy with the cheese slices asking if they want some.
I think it's the one in which they meet the first slayer, but I'm not sure.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »
I love mascarpone. And Gruyere, that I believe you know as Swiss cheese.

I actually ate a green cheese a couple of times, it was tasty (not the most wonderful thing I ever ate, but tasty and fun). As you said, it has herbs (probably not the same ones that in the green cheese you saw in Germany).

Blue cheese is not actually blue, it has...blueish spots. We called it Rochefort, but now that we are globalized it's blue cheese. (Actually, Rochefort is a place in France where they made that cheese, and apparently only their cheeses have the right to that name. The other similar cheeses are called Blue cheese. I intensely dislike blue cheese, the smell, ugh.

But yes, Parmesan in salads is great.

I've only seen a few episodes of Buffy, definitely I have not seen the one you mentioned. I watched Angel, though.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »
I looked it up. The mold is called Penicillium roqueforti.
We mostly eat Gorgonzola (Italian) or Bavaria Blu (German).

I have seen every Buffy and every Angel episode. I even have the whole Buffy DVD collection.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:18:28 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 27, 2021, 05:17:47 AM »
Sadly I had no cheese today.

Gorgonzola is a blue cheese, I believe.

Regen, you have a quote of Buffy under your picture so yes, I imagined you liked it. I did not watch it for several reasons (one of them is I simply don't like vampires too much) and never had the interest to watch what I had missed. Still, I watch a lot of TV, don't be foiled by my overshadowing of Buffy  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 27, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »
I understand herbs. But I'm surprised that some people find mould appetizing. I mean, I'd take penicillin as an injection, but ingesting mould sounds like a generally bad idea to me. No offense Regen :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
Agree

I also enjoy cheese with some pepper in it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 27, 2021, 04:55:13 PM »

Frisian cheese with cloves (the smaller one)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 28, 2021, 01:02:42 AM »
Oh, that looks delicious  :)
The other cheese looks like "Fontina", a cheese I am quite fond of when I want softer flavors (by opposition to hard and stringent cheeses, like Parmesan, Reggianito, Provolone...
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 30, 2021, 04:21:58 AM »
Oh, that looks delicious  :)
The other cheese looks like "Fontina", a cheese I am quite fond of when I want softer flavors (by opposition to hard and stringent cheeses, like Parmesan, Reggianito, Provolone...
It is matured Gouda like cheese produced somewhere in the Netherlands. It gets harder and the taste changes when it matures more. This is the kind of cheese you are likely to get if you just ask for cheese on your bread in Holland.

There are six age groups. This is group three.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:23:59 AM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 30, 2021, 04:50:01 AM »
I like Gouda. I don't know it's exactly like the one you can find in the Netherlands but I certainly like it.

My dose of cheese today was some Reggianito grated above my gnocchi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggianito
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 31, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
I understand herbs. But I'm surprised that some people find mould appetizing. I mean, I'd take penicillin as an injection, but ingesting mould sounds like a generally bad idea to me. No offense Regen :D

None taken  ;)
I only started eating those in my mid-twenties. Before that I found them disgusting. The only cheese with mould I ate was Camembert, where it is only outside and not in the cheese. And it doesn't taste mouldy. Actually it was my father in law. He brought those cheeses when he visited. He always stayed at least one night. So I was confronted with blue cheese in the morning. As he brought the cheese for everyone it would have been impolite not to eat at least a little bit. So I did it, but put an awful lot of pepper onto the cheese, in the hope that the pepper burn would overlay the mouldy taste. And I was surprised that I actually liked it.

Something similar happened with my dislike of yoghurt. The story is a bit disgusting so brace yourself:

As a child I ate yoghurt until one of my cousins vomited into his. My mother removed the vomit and he insisted on eating the rest, well, because I think he was always hungry and it was the last one my mother had.
After that I couldn't bring myself to eat yoghurt for many years.  :o
Until I was on vacation on Crete. We were taken to a farmer who made yoghurt of goat milk. It was served with honey. I ate a small portion to be polite and after that I started to like yoghurt again.

I can have fresh milk, if I like. There is a farmer in the village who sells some.

Gouda here is sold in three age groups. Though mostly you find two: young and middle aged. We always take the middle aged one.
My husband calls it Knight Gouda, LOL. Because of the middle ages.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:18 PM »
I like Gouda. I don't know it's exactly like the one you can find in the Netherlands but I certainly like it.

My dose of cheese today was some Reggianito grated above my gnocchi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggianito
I think the difference is more in variety and it is not just Dutch cheese. When you live far from the country of origin you only get a few different types of what traders think is suitable for export.

For example you can make a difference between hay cheese from cows that spend the winter in stables and grass cheese I used to buy in early summer when I lived near an open street market from cows that had left the stables. There are also local differences. Sometimes buttermilk or goat milk is used or a whole variety of herbs can added in the production process. But usually only one or two at the same time. Different regions in Holland have different cheeses. They are more or less produced the same way but clearly different.

But from what I have seen most European countries have a huge variety of cheeses.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 31, 2021, 07:17:51 PM »
As we are a country of cows, we also have several cheeses  :)
Regen, I understand why you stopped eating yogur (I would have to, probably) but it was a serious loss, as yogur is delicious.
I eat Camembert without problems, even when it is not among my favorite, but blue cheese is disgusting for me. Problem is, hubby loves it, and when he has it I cannot kiss him until he washes his teeth  ;D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 31, 2021, 07:40:33 PM »
You can do so many things with milk  :)
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 31, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »
Cheese and icecream are my favorite. But yogur and butter are delicious too  :D
Missing you, Md