Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240580 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #495 on: January 01, 2021, 10:52:08 PM »
I don't think I ever walked much on New Year day. Normally hubby and I spent the end of the year at my cousin's home, where we spend the night. And the first day of the year, we do a small walk (couple of blocks) towards the bus stop. Then at home we take a nap, as we would have slept little and not too well. And then it's just a pretty normal evening. But this year, it has been different, as we stayed home. But we went to bed very late as we watched tv and hubby played games. It just did not feel right to go to bed early- It's New Year!
We have a very well isolated house so sometimes we just have to get out to get some fresh air and to move around so we get enough exercise to stay mobile.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 01, 2021, 11:39:55 PM »
Yes, yes, I totally understand. I just mean that I never do that on New Year day, but that is me.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 02, 2021, 04:57:57 AM »
Hello weird, happy new year. My family surprised me with a visit and they brought a bribe of marinated chicken and ribs for BBQ, so I couldn't tell them to leave and be safe. :D
Thanks to my brother's organization skills and the vast space here at the farm, we managed an almost completely safe meeting, with disposable utensils, plates and lots of face masks. Even the children were behaved :O
My brother's magnificent beard looked extra funny when he took out his face mask to get a new one, and it looked like he trimmed his beard around the mask. Lol
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 02, 2021, 05:06:48 AM »
Excellent, that sounds so good!  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 02, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »
@Fcrate:
LOL your brother!
I think men with a lot of beard look funny with masks on. Mostly it looks as if the mask is growing hair all around. ;)
My husband has a beard, too. Usually it is rather short, but recently he let it grow. He says he wants to try something new,  but in reality I think he is just too lazy to trim it properly. When we sent Christmas pictures to the family they said it's the wrong colour. White would be better to go as Santa.  ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 02, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
Hubby has a beard, mostly white  :D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 02, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »
Hubby has a beard, mostly white  :D
8) cool

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 04, 2021, 08:12:47 PM »
Good maen everyone! Happy first work day of the year.

Totally random comment but I was reading some article about the top 100 universities in the world. They are mostly from USA, UK, Australia, China, Japan. But only one of them is completely free. Mine. The university where I studied and where I work and teach. I feel happy for that  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 04, 2021, 11:54:11 PM »
MAEN Dina.. You must be very proud. Being part of that success. Question. Though, what do you mean by free university?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 05, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »
Maen Fcrate!
I meant that you don't have to pay to study there. Anything at all.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 05, 2021, 12:16:37 AM »
Wow. And it's in the top 100 too. That's very impressive indeed. Keep up the good work. You must have impressive management.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »
LOL, I wouldn't say that much. But (and believe me, it's not because I am a TA there), we have excellent teachers and some of the deans are actually quite competent  :). For example, at my faculty (which is one part of university) there are several careers. Biology (mine), Chemistry, Physics, Sciences of the atmosphere (meteorology), Computer sciences, Geology, and a few shorter ones, including teaching sciences. Our dean is actually pretty good, and that has been true for a couple of decades, actually (not the same dean, several different deans)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 06, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »
@Dina.
Wow. So you can be proud to work there.

I'll go to work next on Monday. The winter holidays last until the end of the week, so I'm at home now.

There is some snow, but mostly it is cold dirty mud.  ;)
The family was comparing snow fotos today. My cousin's kids actually could build big snowmen and ride their sleighs down the hills. Technically we could have done that, too, but we would have been stuck somewhere halfway and after that would look kind of crusty brown with bits of grass, not crystal white, LOL.

I have counted the ducks. Found 5 of 6. But maybe I just couldn't see the last one.

My mother is in preventive quarantine, because she had contact to an infected person. The old neighbour she is taking care of.  :-\ Don't know how the woman caught the virus, probably from one of the other neighbours helping her, but she is in a coma now. I have the feeling that I won't see her again. She wasn't healthy in the first place. She has been found because she left her door open in the cold. She was found sitting asleep in her armchair with high fever.
My mother has been tested negative but has to stay inside until the end of next week. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 06, 2021, 10:15:11 PM »
Enjoy the last of your holidays, Regen. I hope your mom is going to remain healthy, sorry about her neighbor. That sucks.

we are having a serious raising on the covid cases, probably because of people relaxing and doing things like going to parties.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 06, 2021, 10:43:48 PM »
Thank you. The cases have increased here, too. So we are in a stricter lockdown until the end of January.