Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240684 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #405 on: November 20, 2020, 04:06:24 PM »
I actually liked all the mirror mirror episodes, even those of the newest series (Kira's tiara was so kitsch!) but in Discovery it tired me, it shouldn't be a long season plot, it should be a thing played for fun, like tribbles. And I liked the captain too  :(

Still, not interested in Mirror Mirror Dresden  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 20, 2020, 04:26:53 PM »

Still, not interested in Mirror Mirror Dresden  :)

Yeah. Me too. But we'll give it a chance of course ;)
If you have low expectations you can't become disappointed.
For me it was like that with Storm Front. I had very low expectations. I refused to read it for years. It just didn't appeal to me. Some wizard PI in Chicago. And he is wearing a hat. Wtf?  ;D
Then I was hanging around between books and I thought, I'll give it a try. If it was as bad as expected, I could still give it back, so what.
The beginning was so lala. But as soon as he vomited in the bucket, Butcher had me on his hook. LOL
At this moment I understood, this is not some cool and perfect guy, who knows everything and can do everything. No, this is a guy, who tries to pretend to be cool and all knowing and so on, but fails. And I said OK, I give this guy a chance, and it turned out well. I never regretted it.

Edit: Funny, at first I didn't even read what it was about, because of the title and the cover. I thought it was about some kind of PI with a hat in the city of Dresden. ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 04:30:31 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 20, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »
I will never understand why JB chose the name Dresden. The first time I heard there was something called "The Dresden Files" I thought it was something about the bombings on the war. And then, hubby told me that I was been stupid, that he has seen the advertisement and it was a tv show about a modern wizard.
I had not heard of the books at the time, but I watched the show, liked it, learnt there were books, suspected the books were better, so I buy SF and...down throught the rabbit hole. I love Harry (the character). Still it was not until SK that I was definitely fascinated with all the Dresdenverse. Then I was seriously hit by Maggie Jr. I hate her existence with a fury. But, time helped me to adapt to the idea (and the PT conversation between her and Bonnie melted my heart). Because of that, C, GS and CD are among my less favorite books, but I loved SG.

This forum has also kept me a fan, people here is amazing  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 20, 2020, 09:05:14 PM »
I agree. This forum helps to be a nerdier nerd. And to obsess more intensively about the books.  8) ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
Yes, it's not only the DF. Many of us are trekkers, star wars fans, RPGplayers, gamers in general, discworld fans, and many other fandoms around. Like, in my case, superheroes.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 25, 2020, 04:52:07 PM »
I just wanted to say that Maradona is dead and I am so, so sad.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 25, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »
:'( I'm sorry.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 25, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
Thanks. He means a lot for us.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
Everyone here is sad about his passing. Kids playing on the streets here still nickname the best amongst them Maradona.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 27, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »
Maradona did that for kids all around the world. And I think that was one of the things that made him prouder.
I loved him so much. When he played, it was magic.
Missing you, Md 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 28, 2020, 07:41:12 PM »
Hey weirdos.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 28, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »
(((((((((((((SoG))))))))))))))))) :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 28, 2020, 07:55:08 PM »
Heya Dina. How's you?

((((((((((Dina)))))))))))

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 28, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »
I am well, thank you. They had been some sad days

but I am feeling better now. And I am delighted to see you here! How are you doing?
Missing you, Md 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 28, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »
2020 has been a harsh year.

I'm glad you're ok though. :)

I'm so-so. Luckily I have a week's holiday this week so get to out my decorations up at my leisure.
Are you decorating?