Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240616 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #360 on: November 13, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »
Sometimes I drink warm milk with chamomile tee.  ;D

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 13, 2020, 08:21:08 PM »
Assam tea with milk. Lighter more delicate teas like jasmine tea without milk. Coffee nearly always with milk unless I put whipped cream in it.

In Holland people usually drink tea without milk probably because they learned drinking tea from the Chinese who can not digest milk but I have a British wife and they learned about tea in India.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 13, 2020, 08:28:18 PM »
I do like chamomile tea with milk.

Arjan, Oh, so a British wife? Are there any funny cultural differences between you?

Regen, I've read your edit and that sounds very, very disgusting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 13, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
Sorry about the double post, but I just remember something. They are selling here Coke with a touch of coffee. I gave it a try, I did not like it at all.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 13, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »
Arjan, Oh, so a British wife? Are there any funny cultural differences between you?
There are but the difference between brexit and remain is probably greater  ;D
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
LOL! I was thinking things like the temperature of the beer  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 13, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »
LOL! I was thinking things like the temperature of the beer  :)
I usually drink cider when I am there. You can get good cider everywhere in Brittain but in Holland you get only bad sweet stuff or you have to buy it in special shops that sell UK products.

I believe it is called hard cider in some countries and what they call cider is just apple juice.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2020, 09:52:01 PM »
I am not sure. We say "Sidra" for the alcoholic beverage but it is not common to drink it outside of the Holiday season. It is very associated to Christmas and New Year. It is also used in Weddings and other celebrations, mainly as a cheaper alternative to champagne. So, it is very unusual to have sidra on a bar, as an ordinary drink.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
I am not sure. We say "Sidra" for the alcoholic beverage but it is not common to drink it outside of the Holiday season. It is very associated to Christmas and New Year. It is also used in Weddings and other celebrations, mainly as a cheaper alternative to champagne. So, it is very unusual to have sidra on a bar, as an ordinary drink.
I know they make sidra in spain but I never tasted it.  Brittish cider is different from french cider, it is more in the style of beer and it is drunk like beer often from tap in pubs while the french ciders I tasted where more like weak apple wine with bubbles. A cheaper alcohol free version with bubbels is sometimes used for children so they have their own "champaign" for the beginning of the new year.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2020, 11:47:55 PM »
Yes, we also have Sidra sin alcohol (alcohol-free) for that purpose. As a child, I loved it. I don't know about French cider, but I'd say is probably more like our sidra then.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2020, 10:02:40 AM »
Hey guys!
I just wanted to tell you that I've tested myself COVID negative on Saturday at work. The boss said we should test ourselves at least every two weeks so that we can react in time. Wouldn't be good if there is no more lab in the house.

I like British cider. I always ordered that when I was in Ireland, because I don't like Guinness.  ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »
Glad to hear that, Regen! And yes, it is a good measure to test every two weeks when you are on the Health system.

We are having some warm days here. It's not so much the temperature but the high humidity, so it feels worse. The other day walked only 2 blocks and arrived home with my cheeks all red for the heat.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 17, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »
There are but the difference between brexit and remain is probably greater  ;D
Arjan, be very careful or you'll brexit your way out of a marriage. It has happened.. :D
About drinks (and food) I'll give everything a first try. But I have to say, I'm very conservative about my drinks. It's just plain tea for me (tea pot, not tea bags) or regular coffee. My mother used to put milk on the tea, half and half, and sometimes spice it with a little cardamom. Was very good.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 17, 2020, 07:58:36 AM »
Arjan, be very careful or you'll brexit your way out of a marriage. It has happened.. :D
About drinks (and food) I'll give everything a first try. But I have to say, I'm very conservative about my drinks. It's just plain tea for me (tea pot, not tea bags) or regular coffee. My mother used to put milk on the tea, half and half, and sometimes spice it with a little cardamom. Was very good.
You can put cardamom in your coffee too.

Brexit is not that popular among the brits I meet here in Holland, Probably because it messes up their whole life.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 17, 2020, 08:27:43 AM »
I tried it a few times, as long as the flavor isn't strong enough to shock me, it's fine. I generally love cardamom in my food.
As for brexit, I play maybe 3 times a week with a few friends from Europe, and one of the brits is quite passionate about it. Always expect at least one argument between him and the French guy every week about brexit.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير