Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244884 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #345 on: November 11, 2020, 08:40:29 AM »
I believe education is good here. And IMO it is important. The more you learn and know as a child the more chances you have with jobs as an adult.
As for the computers: depending on what your job is, not everybody needs a computer at home. We used ours for writing letters (and printing them) or email, or for some years now for online banking, since the banks reduced their staff and their buildings outside the cities. Or for playing games. LOL And I think most people did the same.
Also we "inherited" a around 20 years old computer from an old neighbour of my parents, whose son had passed on 2 years ago. It belonged to her son. She had no use for it, so she gave it to us.
So we had in fact two computers at home when the lockdown started.
And, fun fact, my husband had to bring his computer from his workplace to work at home.
So counting, we are 4 persons with 3 computers. But we bought only one of them and my husband's belongs to the company.
Now everyone can work at the same time.

@Fcrate:
There are people here, who can't read or write, but I don't know any personally.
I know some who are not good at reading, writing or calculating, but this is not, because they went to bad schools. More like their talents lie elsewhere.

But if for example you are a really good mechanic, but you can't calculate or read, then you can go on working for someone, but you would have enormous difficulties and depend on others helping you, if you wanted to become the boss of a group of mechanics. Just an example.

@Dina
Yeah, Fcrate is right, I was jealous too for you being able to sleep long, though I don't have to get up  before 6am this week.  ;)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 11, 2020, 09:05:35 AM »
We had a proud tradition of a very good education, but sadly it has deteriorated a LOT in the last 2 decades, for several reasons. Economics mainly but also politics. Still, I don't think is that bad even know, specially at my city. Also, university keeps being quite good and I try to do my best everyday to do my tiny contribution to it. The education of my students is one of the things that I take more seriously in my whole life.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »
@Dina:
You are doing good. You can be proud of what you are doing. :)

I was busy these last days. Trying to get some Christmas presents for the kids. And planning how to do the birthday present for my dad and my husband. I planned on arranging archery lessons. This would be nice to do together. Even the kids would be interested. Last year I had the idea. But as everything is closed down, maybe I'll get a voucher or something for lessons in spring or summer. I don't know. My dad is turning 70 and my husband 50. I wanted something special for them.
My husband and I wanted to do that for more than a decade but there was never the time. We even lived beside a popular archery parkour for years, but at that time he had a very time consuming job and I was working almost every weekend.

And I am trying to help my daughter learn English. She had a very bad grade in the last test. Everything was wrong. Half the words she didn't know, and those she knew she spelled wrong. ' But Mama, I knew the word, I just wrote it wrong.' 'That's nice, but wrong is still wrong.' So we are doing exercises every day. I hope this will help her to become better.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »
Thank you, Regen. And for what I heard, you are doing very well with your daughter's education.

Archery sounds so fun! I only have a bow in my hands once, many years ago. Hubby and some of our friends we celebrate the birthday of one of us in an archery place. You could rent a bow and a teacher for a while (I don't remember if an hour or so) and they taught you the basis. Of course, if you knew how to shoot you could just rent the bow and court, it's was cheaper. But we had a teacher. I did it...not great, which is not a surprise as I was always bad at sports, but not so awfully as I had imagined. Apparently me hand-eye coordination was not that bad. So I felt quite pride of myself. And the following day, my arm hurt! But it was a lot of fun, I wish it would have been more than once.

I like to see people doing archery, I always had a soft spot for Robin Hood.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2020, 09:37:09 AM »
Yes, I want to do it like that. Some teacher to show us how to do it and then you can go anywhere to rent a bow. One can even buy equipment legally without having to join a club, other than with firearms. My dad was in a firearm club for years and he was really good at shooting. But it is illegal to do that outside the club. Exception is when you do it as your job, e.g. police, soldiers, hunters etc.
An arrow you are even allowed to shoot in your own garden, if I understood correctly. I have to inform myself better soon.
I tried it several times, and I think I'm not bad at it.
And my husband and I are looking for some fun stuff to do together apart from watching TV and playing games, lol. We tried dancing once but that wasn't much fun, because he always forgot his steps and I wanted to do the cool stuff. And he couldn't lead, so I did, which annoyed our teacher, lol. It didn't work out at the end. We agreed, that we both like to dance, but not with each other.  ;)
When I was 17 I participated in a dance formation with about 50 dancers, and the girls wearing wedding dresses. That was really cool. The audience was mostly high society. I felt a bit out of place but pretended to be cool. It was great to be a part of the show. And to get to wear an extremely expensive wedding dress. The manufacturer of the dresses used the event for advertising their products. We were only allowed to wear them for the dance and had to give them back immediately after it and to put on our own dresses.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
That is nice, it must have been all an experience. I never used something like a wedding dress ("hubby" is not really my husband. "Just" the man that shares my home since 20 years ago) but I had an elaborated dress for my 15 years (I know you are probably familiar with the name "quinceañera" but that is the Mexican name for it. We have the same tradition of a big party for a girl who reaches her 15, but we don't call it "quinceañera"). Anyway, with that dress I did the waltz and I danced some more and I still remember the nice feeling. Also, I think I told you I took ballet classes for a several years when I was a little girl and every year we did a final concert, with costumes and all that. I still remember the feeling of wearing ballerina dresses. I know it's not the same of elaborated wedding dresses, but it is the closest thing I remember to what you mention. It sounds extremely cool.

And about archery, oh yes, it sounds like fun and healthier than other options. Also, just a comment, I have a friend who did salsa with her partner. It was good for them before not all the dancing was as a couple. It allowed for some alone action.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 13, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
I've found a good example of such an event. We were casted out of the dancing school. You had to show them that you could dance in a formation. Some had to leave, because they couldn't. I chose this example for fun, because it was in Dresden, LOL.
Just imagine the girls each wearing a different white wedding dresses. Our dance was a lot like that:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WqNOjcbgTp0

And thanks for the salsa tip. I would like that, too, but he doesn't understand the moves, lol. I asked him if we should do salsa or something like that instead. But he preferred standard.

Edit: some of the moves I recognize, I remember us doing them too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:09:55 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 13, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »
Awesome video!

Well, I can't blame him. I found salsa movements quite difficult (I never had classes, though, I am sure that would help  :))

Totally random comment, but last night we bought a very dark chocolate and I just had a piece. It is delicious. We love dark chocolate.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 13, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
Awesome video!

Well, I can't blame him. I found salsa movements quite difficult (I never had classes, though, I am sure that would help  :))

Totally random comment, but last night we bought a very dark chocolate and I just had a piece. It is delicious. We love dark chocolate.
Up to a point. I once bought 99% and it was really not edible. Good for a hot chocolate drink though.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 13, 2020, 06:35:37 PM »
Yes, 95% is already too much for me. But this one was 80%.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
I love dark chocolate, too. ~80% is OK.
Once I put too much cocoa-powder into muffins. I didn't have enough chocolate,  but I had the powder. Those muffins were almost not edible. We had to eat them with a glass of milk to wash them down.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
LOL! I can't imagine muffins so dark.
As a side comment, I also like coffee and tea without sugar.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 13, 2020, 07:36:11 PM »
LOL! I can't imagine muffins so dark.
As a side comment, I also like coffee and tea without sugar.
But with milk
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 13, 2020, 07:43:30 PM »
But with milk
Me too. Coffee without sugar but with milk, though I admit mostly it's milk with coffee.
Black tee with milk. Other tee pure.

By the way, my father-in-law did something disgusting but funny: when he visited us once a month, he mostly stayed 2-3 days. He had a 4 hour drive. To stay awake, he had a 1,5l bottle coke in the car. Most of the time there was some coke left in the bottle. This he kept cold during his stay and on the way back he made himself some coffee and put it into the rest of the coke in the bottle. LOL. Because caffeine is caffeine as he said. I could never bring myself to taste that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:53:07 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 13, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
I sometimes drink latte or tea with milk, specially if it is at breakfast. But in general, I drink all of that alone. Lady Grey is one of my favorite teas and I would never drink milk with it.
Missing you, Md