Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240442 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2020, 12:23:38 AM »
I sleep better when I know that Buffy is patrolling. ;-)

And I did a search again. There are also French and Polish versions when I search for "Jim Butcher". But nothing Italian or Czech.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:26:30 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2020, 12:31:03 AM »
Weird.
I wonder how Harry sounds in French  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2020, 12:44:54 AM »
Weird.
I wonder how Harry sounds in French  :)
Storm Front → Dans l'oeil du cyclone
No audio, but few positive comments. From what I understood, the translation seems to be really bad.

Edit: some of the others seem to have better reviews.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:47:29 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2020, 12:48:05 AM »
All right then. Well, the idea is there.

I've playing RPG all the dinner, so no cooking. We ask some burgers for dinner, hope they are tasty (it is a new place, I don't know their burgers yet)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2020, 12:50:10 AM »
Cool. Have fun with the burgers. ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »
Thanks! I'll let you know how they were.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2020, 01:02:45 AM »
Thanks! I'll let you know how they were.
Appreciated.    :)
We finished watching the second season of NOS4A2. Looks like there might be another season.
As I can't sleep yet because of the nightshift a few days ago, I am going to read a bit until I fall asleep. I'm reading the last book of "The Trials Of Apollo" by Rick Riordan. Everyone else is asleep now. It's 2am here. Sigh. But I'm used to the sleeplessness after night shift. I read so that I don't get frustrated. The kids don't have to get up early, because in Bavaria there are one week holidays because of All Hallows Day. So it's OK for me to sleep long.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2020, 05:24:28 AM »
I am going to bed soon (it's 2:20 a.m. here). I need to watch a meeting at 10:30 but I won't have my camera on, so I can get up quite late and get ready without a hurry.

Burgers were great. I have 2 (they were not very big). One was a simple cheeseburger. The other had pickles and it was delicious. Weirdly, the best part were not the burgers but the bread, which was perfect .
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 09, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
So, was it something I said?  :'(
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 09, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
What????? Oh no. I'm so sorry!!!!! I've read your post, but couldn't answer right away. Than I simply forgot.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 09, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
LOL! Nobody was posting anything, it's not only you.  :)

How are you doing, Regen? How is school in Germany? We are doing a little better (I guess, because of Spring) about covid, so we are opening schools for a couple of hours every day, so children can reconnect with classmates and teachers before the end of the year. Classes themselves are still virtual.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 09, 2020, 09:00:58 PM »
LOL! Nobody was posting anything, it's not only you.  :)

How are you doing, Regen? How is school in Germany? We are doing a little better (I guess, because of Spring) about covid, so we are opening schools for a couple of hours every day, so children can reconnect with classmates and teachers before the end of the year. Classes themselves are still virtual.
Ah, that's a relief. You are not mad, because I ignored you. LOL

The cases here have increased a lot since September, so we are again in some sort of lockdown. They call it lockdown light. Sounds like some diet. LOL
The increased cases were not from schools, kindergarten, workplaces and restaurants, but from people having parties and getting drunk and saying f**k corona. There has been a significant change in the age of the infected people. Now it's more younger people, less old ones.

But still they shut down the restaurants again. At least they are allowed to do take away food. So we are ordering from the two local restaurants once a week, so that they at least get a little bit money. And I left a generous tip there.

It is called light because schools and kindergarten stay open with the kids having to wear masks all day.
The children are not allowed contact to others than their group or class. During the breaks each age group has their separate area to stay in. And during lessons they open the windows every 20 minutes for 5 minutes to change the air in the rooms. So the kids are allowed to wear their winter jackets in class, because otherwise it would be really cold.
They have been doing this since school started in summer. But back then the classes were separated. One half at home, one half at school.

But learning at home turned out to be difficult for a lot of kids. And it shows in lack of knowledge. Not only those whose parents were not good at school were disadvantaged, but also those whose parents had to use the computer for work, those whose parents had to work away from home (hospital staff, police, firefighters ... have family, too), those with several siblings who had to share one computer or those who can't afford a computer at all and many more.
And as there is a law, that every child has the right of good education and equal rights and there was not one case here where a child was the reason for an outbreak, they decided to keep the schools open as long as possible. And to decide individually, if either just some classes or the whole school has to go into quarantine when there are cases.

So, we'll see.

And next time I'm going to eat a cheeseburger, too.  ;) The restaurant is only about 300 m away. We can walk there and take the food with us. They are making really good food. This Saturday I had Gyros with tsatsiki and some French fries. It was ok, but the gyros in the Greek restaurant in another village is way better. But their tsatsiki tasted better. And they do yummy beef.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 09, 2020, 09:23:05 PM »
Wow, I will be very honest with you. I thought first world did not have those problems. From here, we see Germany as a place with a computer per capita. And a good one.
Of course, we had the same problems here (and some connectivity ones, as not every place has a good internet). I don't have children, so I am not sure how this is working here. According to what I gather from talking with several friends, high schoolers are doing quite well, even when they miss hanging out with each other. But many primary school children are struggling. They miss each other and they are not so good at studying alone. But my "sample" is not too big, I don't know what is happening in the rest of the country. Also, the reality is different in different provinces.

We ordered a new set of bedsheets today, I am looking forward its arrival as I had not have new ones in a while. It is a good feeling.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
So, was it something I said?  :'(
Yes.. The part about not having to get up early had me envious. Also the part about burgers.. I haven't had burgers in 3 years. So I decided to boycott the thread until my inner pain subsides.
@Regen: I'm with Dina, I didn't think you'd have these kind of problems, but I suppose it's a matter of scale. I don't have kids, but my nephews go to school like normal. I heard they're going to close them down again in a week or so, but I'm not sure. In the village where I live, education is so fucking horrible that it doesn't matter either way imo. I've met 18 year old people (and now a few of them either) who have middle school degrees and a diploma for mechanics that can barely write their own names. And can't read at all.
My friend's daughter is 10 years old and doesn't understand the multiplication table. She knows it by heart, as she's a good student, but I had to explain to her how it came to be.
I recall I had that explained to me when I was 7.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2020, 03:43:29 PM »
Sorry, Fcrate  :P
Living in Buenos Aires is good if you like food. It is not New York, there are some things that are difficult you find, but you have many options and pretty much everything has delivery. Pizza, empanadas and icecreams are our fortes, though (for delivery, I mean).

Last week, I "was" in a Congress. It was very interesting but I ended tired, so I am happy to say I am more relaxed now. If only the neighbors stopped screaming...
Missing you, Md